https://www.proz.com/forum/kudoz/88588-suggestion%3A_display_the_number_of_members_in_pair_at_a_given_time.html

Suggestion: Display the number of members in pair at a given time
Thread poster: Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 01:49
Spanish
+ ...
Nov 6, 2007

Every time after submitting a KudoZ question in a particular language pair, the number of colleagues that work with that pair is displayed. It would be a good idea to have that number displayed BEFORE submitting the question. That way, we could see how many colleagues are online at the time, so we could submit the question right away or hold on to it until more colleagues are available.

Claudia

Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:49
Spanish to English
Some responses Nov 6, 2007

Claudia Alvis wrote:

Every time after submitting a KudoZ question in a particular language pair, the number of colleagues that work with that pair is displayed.

Actually, it is only the number of colleagues who have signed up to receive notifications of questions in that language pair and speciality. For example, I do not receive these notifications, but I may still see a question (at some stage convenient for me) and answer it or give an opinion.

It would be a good idea to have that number displayed BEFORE submitting the question. That way, we could see how many colleagues are online at the time, so we could submit the question right away or hold on to it until more colleagues are available.

I am "online" all day because I never close the Proz page (usually glossary) until I have finished work for the day, but that does NOT mean I will instantly answer any question someone asks. I don't see how knowing how many people are online can help. What we need to do is a) find a way to encourage people to scroll through the list of questions asked (which is what I do when I have the time/inclination to do so) and b) stop people from flooding the system with too many questions all at once (which is what the limits on the no. of questions is supposed to do, but often doesn't).

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 08:49
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Don't delay asking - post in good time! Nov 6, 2007

In support of Nikki's comment - it is far better to post a question in good time. Give answerers time to get to a coffee break and do some research if you want a reliable answer. I rarely have time to interrupt my work to answer immediately.

With my own jobs, I try to spot problems as soon as I start work on a text by reading or at least skimming it through.

I do a quick check before ever accepting the job - it saves some nasty surprises while there is still time to tu
... See more
In support of Nikki's comment - it is far better to post a question in good time. Give answerers time to get to a coffee break and do some research if you want a reliable answer. I rarely have time to interrupt my work to answer immediately.

With my own jobs, I try to spot problems as soon as I start work on a text by reading or at least skimming it through.

I do a quick check before ever accepting the job - it saves some nasty surprises while there is still time to turn it down, ask the client or agree on extra time to solve the problem. Then I post KudoZ questions as early as possible.

And I can't tell you how many times I have been helped by someone the opposite side of the globe, when I have posted a KudoZ question and left it for the recommended 24 hours. They are bright and rested when we are getting tired!

The first answer may be the best, but don't count on it. KudoZ is a game, but not really a race.

Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 01:49
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Duh!! Nov 8, 2007

You're both absolutely right. I just re-read my suggestion and it's actually pretty stupid Blushing 2.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggestion: Display the number of members in pair at a given time

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »