https://www.proz.com/forum/kudoz/90085-what_if_the_asker_chooses_the_obviously_wrong_answer.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
What if the asker chooses the obviously wrong answer?
Thread poster: LoyalTrans
LoyalTrans
LoyalTrans
Local time: 21:58
English to Chinese
+ ...
Nov 23, 2007

Let's face it, there are some entry-level translators who both ask and answer and occassionally the inexperienced asker chooses the wrong answer from the similarly inexperienced answerer. I should say this is really frustrating after I have been in this situation for a couple of times (I am sure that my answer is right). So how do you handle this? Just shrug and leave?

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:58
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
email asker Nov 23, 2007

You can send an email to the asker via Proz.com mail. Whether he/she believes you or not, you may never know.
If the wrong answer (in your opinion) has been entered in the glossary, send a message about it to the moderator, who may delete it or change it.
If you think you should have got the points for your own answer, you can't do anything about that.

LoyalTrans
LoyalTrans
Local time: 21:58
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
avoid the trouble Nov 23, 2007

I tend to avoid the trouble and don't want to make a fuss... Just feel not particularly happy about that.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 15:58
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
You can comment ... Nov 23, 2007

after the question was closed (once, afaik - but that should suffice).

Regards

Vito

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
The cynical approach Nov 23, 2007

If someone hands in a bad translation and the client is aware of this, it only serves to weed out the competition.
As long as it doesn't find its way into the glossaries.

As to lost Kudoz points... Well, that's life.

Pawel Skalinski

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
No comments allowed Nov 23, 2007

Vito Smolej wrote:
You can comment ...

after the question was closed (once, afaik - but that should suffice).

Regards

Vito

People used to make comments when a clearly incorrect answer was chosen. But the strict enforcement of rule 3.7 means that the person making such a comment nowadays may find him/herself on the receiving end of sanctions. At best, the comment will simply be removed and at worst, the person making it will receive restrictions or bans on using parts of the site.
In any case, the wrong answer will stay in the glossary. It's maddening and the blunders are doing a lot of damage to the credibility of the site but that's the way things are now.

rule 3.7
Commentary on askers or answerers, and their postings or decisions to post, is not allowed. Comments or insinuations concerning an answerer's or asker's experience or profile, his/her decision to post a certain question or answer, grade or close a question in a certain way, make a certain glossary entry, etc., are strictly prohibited (whether posted publicly, made directly to the person in question, or made to another site user).
http://www.proz.com/?sp=siterules&mode=show&category=kudoz_answ

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
disagreeing with the chosen answer and giving your reasons why is permitted Nov 23, 2007

You can agree (or disagree) with an answer in the glossary at any time (I recently did so on one that was posted about 4 years ago). The rules don't permit personal comments, it's true, but there's nothing to stop you stating why you consider a particular answer or glossary entry to be incorrect. In the Italian-English pair, at least, the moderators are encouraging us to improve the glossaries in this way.

Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
Disagree with answer chosen Nov 23, 2007

Jack Doughty wrote:

You can send an email to the asker via Proz.com mail. Whether he/she believes you or not, you may never know.

I don't think emailing the asker about his/her choice is allowed, as this surely comes under rule 3.7, which writeaway has stated above.

However, if you haven't already done so, you can disagree with the answer chosen, giving your reasons. As far as I am aware, the asker is sent a copy of this disagree by email, and they may just reconsider if they see that you are emphasising your point.

On the other hand, everyone may just think it's sour grapes.

P.S. I see that Marie-Hélène and I are thinking along the same lines, and I support the idea of disagreeing with answers even years after posting. And agreeing with good answers too, especially if they were NOT chosen.

[Edited at 2007-11-23 10:19]

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Askers cannot currently track peer grades Nov 23, 2007

Nikki Graham wrote:
However, if you haven't already done so, you can disagree with the answer chosen, giving your reasons. As far as I am aware, the asker is sent a copy of this disagree by email, and they may just reconsider if they see that you are emphasising your point.

Hi Nikki,

Unfortunately this is not the case - askers currently do not receive any notifications of peer grades (only of answers and notes added to answers, as well as of requests in the "Ask the asker" box). On a related note, as desirable as such notifications may be, they would result in too much email traffic IMHO.

My 2c,
Steffen

Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
I must be going barmy in my old age... Nov 23, 2007

Steffen Walter wrote:

Nikki Graham wrote:

Hi Nikki,

Unfortunately this is not the case - askers currently do not receive any notifications of peer grades (only of answers and notes added to answers, as well as of requests in the "Ask the asker" box). On a related note, as desirable as such notifications may be, they would result in too much email traffic IMHO.

Because I seem to remember receiving notification of someone disagreeing with an answer another had given to a question I asked at some stage in the distant past. So did it used to happen and now doesn't? Or am I really going totally nuts?

Notification of agrees is not important (and there would be too many of them), but I don't actually see too many disagrees on my rounds through KudoZ, and knowing that someone disagrees with an answer given, and being notified of that immediately, may help the asker. Surely this wouldn't result in too much email traffic.

[Edited at 2007-11-23 10:56]

awilliams
awilliams
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
I thought this was the case, too Nov 23, 2007

Nikki Graham wrote:

Or am I really going totally nuts?

No - I could have sworn that the asker received notifications of disagrees (and neutrals?). I must be going barmy, too.

[Edited at 2007-11-23 13:27]

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 10:58
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
The asker does not select the "best" answer but the "most helpful" one Nov 23, 2007

Hi all,

The asker does not select the "best" answer but the "most helpful" one.

As posted above by Writeaway, comments or insinuations concerning this decision (whether posted publicly, made directly to the person in question, or made to another site user) are forbidden by rule http://www.proz.com/siterules/kudoz_answ/3.7#3.7

You can disagree with a
... See more
Hi all,

The asker does not select the "best" answer but the "most helpful" one.

As posted above by Writeaway, comments or insinuations concerning this decision (whether posted publicly, made directly to the person in question, or made to another site user) are forbidden by rule http://www.proz.com/siterules/kudoz_answ/3.7#3.7

You can disagree with any given answer by means of the Peer grading system if you provide a linguistic reason for your disagreement.

The asker receives a notification when any answer provided to his/her question receives a disagree.

Best regards,
Enrique
Collapse

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
In this case, I stand corrected Nov 23, 2007

Enrique wrote:
The asker receives a notification when any answer provided to his/her question receives a disagree.

If this is indeed the case, I stand corrected - I had not been aware of this feature at all, given that I ask questions relatively rarely. One more question for clarification: Do askers receive ONLY "disagree" notifications (as opposed to "agrees" or "neutrals")?

Steffen

Francis Lee (X)
Francis Lee (X)
German to English
+ ...
Nikki is right Nov 23, 2007

Like Steffen, my first thought was that the Asker receives no such notifications.

But now that I think about it: yes, I do recall being informed when an Answer to my question has been given a Disagree. This does not apply to Agrees or Neutrals, however.

So in fact, Nikki was right - and now I'm glad I showed uncharacteristic reticence in not immediately confirming her barminess!

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 10:58
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Disagree notifications Nov 23, 2007

H Steffen,
Askers receive notifications in case of disagrees only.
Best,
Enrique

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What if the asker chooses the obviously wrong answer?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »