Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Do people really want the best translation when they ask a Kudoz question?
Thread poster: liz askew
liz askew
liz askew  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:08
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Strongly depends on the field in question Dec 12, 2007

Well, I still stick to my belief that no matter which field it is there is always a "best translation". Just take 5 different translators who do the same translation, and you will find, whether we like or not, that there is always somebody who has produced a better translation It's a fact of life, otherwise why have professional translators at all.

I stick to my guns, and this is based on my own personal experience.<
... See more
Well, I still stick to my belief that no matter which field it is there is always a "best translation". Just take 5 different translators who do the same translation, and you will find, whether we like or not, that there is always somebody who has produced a better translation It's a fact of life, otherwise why have professional translators at all.

I stick to my guns, and this is based on my own personal experience.

Liz
Collapse

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:08
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Not so sure... Dec 12, 2007

liz askew wrote:
Just take 5 different translators who do the same translation, and you will find, whether we like or not, that there is always somebody who has produced a better translation It's a fact of life, otherwise why have professional translators at all.

... in which case you could also easily end up with two equally brilliant but totally different translations... So I guess we're back to saying that we have to agree to disagree, then.

Steffen

liz askew
liz askew  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:08
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Agree to disagree Dec 12, 2007

It's the story of my life

Liz

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do people really want the best translation when they ask a Kudoz question?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »