How much context is good when asking KudoZ?
Thread poster: wonita (X)
wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
Local time: 11:50
Dec 13, 2007

In raising my questions at Kudo, I try to provide as less context as possible. Because the text I translate should be kept confidential for my client. On the one hand, I do have bad conscience even to show the term I ask; on the other hand, I do it "for the sake of the client".

Some Kudo answers tend to be more accurate, demanding more context, whilst you get enough answers from which you can choose one fitting the text well. My concern is: how much text is O.K. without the consce
... See more
In raising my questions at Kudo, I try to provide as less context as possible. Because the text I translate should be kept confidential for my client. On the one hand, I do have bad conscience even to show the term I ask; on the other hand, I do it "for the sake of the client".

Some Kudo answers tend to be more accurate, demanding more context, whilst you get enough answers from which you can choose one fitting the text well. My concern is: how much text is O.K. without the conscent of your client?

Bin

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-12-13 19:24]
Collapse

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 09:50
French to Spanish
+ ...
Interesting. Dec 13, 2007

Never thought about it.
Conflict between "context needed" and confidentiality!
Well, context is needed... indeed.
Can't you put a lot of XXX, or YYY in that context?
We promess not to tell anyone it's a state secret!

Fabio Descalzi
Fabio Descalzi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 12:50
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Just a question of interpreting rules accurately Dec 13, 2007

http://www.proz.com/siterules/kudoz_asking/2.10#2.10
Care should be taken not to disclose confidential information in KudoZ postings. In most cases, client names should not be disclosed in a KudoZ posting. Consideration should also be given to whether the term or context would disclose confidential information by its nature.

Paul Merriam
Paul Merriam  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:50
Russian to English
+ ...
Get some similar context Dec 13, 2007

One thing I frequently do on mailing lists is run the problem phrase through a search engine. (That's something you should be doing anyway.) That allows you to phrase a query like

In http://www.whocanunderstandthisnonsense.com, I read

[lots of complicated text that includes the problem phrase]

What does [the problem phrase] mean in this context?
... See more
One thing I frequently do on mailing lists is run the problem phrase through a search engine. (That's something you should be doing anyway.) That allows you to phrase a query like

In http://www.whocanunderstandthisnonsense.com, I read

[lots of complicated text that includes the problem phrase]

What does [the problem phrase] mean in this context?

Your client might be able to figure out why you're asking this question. (After all, he/she/it knows that you're working on a project for him/her/it.) But to the general public, it's not so obvious. And you can extrapolate from this context to your context.
Collapse

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:50
Italian to English
+ ...
General context Dec 13, 2007

Clearly, you shouldn't provide information which gives away the client. This may rule out quoting of the sentence verbatim, too, if the source document is online (although the end client may not necessarily be the "owner" of the source, and/or you may not know who the end client is anyway).

But you should provide as much general information as possible - I'd say the type of material (contract? children's story? market survey?) and the context immediately before and/or after the term
... See more
Clearly, you shouldn't provide information which gives away the client. This may rule out quoting of the sentence verbatim, too, if the source document is online (although the end client may not necessarily be the "owner" of the source, and/or you may not know who the end client is anyway).

But you should provide as much general information as possible - I'd say the type of material (contract? children's story? market survey?) and the context immediately before and/or after the term are essential, and I also usually give details of what I've already considered and discarded as possible translations before posting the question. You could also try changing non-essential words in the sentence itself to make it "ungooglable".
Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 10:50
Spanish
+ ...
Replace the context Dec 13, 2007

I had the same concerns about confidentiality issues but you don't really need to copy your source text word by word, sometimes you can just make it up, find a similar context in Google, or even show a picture. But context IS very important.

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Search the web Dec 13, 2007

Claudia Alvis wrote:

I had the same concerns about confidentiality issues but you don't really need to copy your source text word by word, sometimes you can just make it up, find a similar context in Google, or even show a picture. But context IS very important.

Search the web for a similar use of the term and post that similar use. But it may be good to warn answerers that you are employing an example of the use you are asking about -- I've seen people citing examples that were posted in the question as support for their answers, whereby the asker had to explain that they were aware that quotation existed and the real phrase was under non-disclosure.

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:50
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Do exactly the opposite Dec 14, 2007

Put in as much CONTEXT as possible, because if you want anything substantial and not everyone's guesses, it must be there.

I see people holding back CONTEXT sometimes due to possible concerns about "confidentiality" that are absolutely ridiculous. Do not hold back; just do not "name names", but preferably invent pseudonyms instead of "XXX" so we know what the nature of the omitted information is.

That is the only way you can expect intelligent replies.

By t
... See more
Put in as much CONTEXT as possible, because if you want anything substantial and not everyone's guesses, it must be there.

I see people holding back CONTEXT sometimes due to possible concerns about "confidentiality" that are absolutely ridiculous. Do not hold back; just do not "name names", but preferably invent pseudonyms instead of "XXX" so we know what the nature of the omitted information is.

That is the only way you can expect intelligent replies.

By the way, things like names of countries, universities, cities, large companies, etc. are not confidential, they are all over. It helps so much to know them, especially when dealing with languages spoken all over the world such as mine.

[Editado a las 2007-12-14 02:13]
Collapse

Julia Esrom
Julia Esrom  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
not only confidentiality but the translator's business is none of our business Dec 14, 2007

Wasn't there a similar discussion about context and Kudoz questions the other day?

Confidentiality should absolutely be taken seriously. Replacing the name by an xxx is often not good enough. Google finds everything. Another consideration is that not everyone needs to know which text a translator is working on. That's his or her business. So often you get answers along the lines of "oh, I think I found your text online, here it is". Perhaps not every translator wants to hear that.<
... See more
Wasn't there a similar discussion about context and Kudoz questions the other day?

Confidentiality should absolutely be taken seriously. Replacing the name by an xxx is often not good enough. Google finds everything. Another consideration is that not everyone needs to know which text a translator is working on. That's his or her business. So often you get answers along the lines of "oh, I think I found your text online, here it is". Perhaps not every translator wants to hear that.
So I totally agree with Claudia that replacing the context may be wise in some cases. After all, whoever asks a Kudoz question will have a fairly good understanding of the source text and should be able to transfer context easily.
Collapse

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
If it's all 100% hush-hush, why post a question? Dec 14, 2007

Julia Esrom wrote:

Confidentiality should absolutely be taken seriously. Replacing the name by an xxx is often not good enough. Google finds everything. Another consideration is that not everyone needs to know which text a translator is working on. That's his or her business. So often you get answers along the lines of "oh, I think I found your text online, here it is". Perhaps not every translator wants to hear that.
So I totally agree with Claudia that replacing the context may be wise in some cases. After all, whoever asks a Kudoz question will have a fairly good understanding of the source text and should be able to transfer context easily.

If someone can find the text of the www, that means it's not a secretive text as such. So providing context won't be breaching any confidentiality.
Of course I agree that not everyone wants others to know about their work.
But wouldn't it be better not to post at all if one is so concerned about revealing any (con)text to others? After all, Kudoz certainly isn't the only place or way to find terms-in fact, it's supposed to be a translator's last resort.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How much context is good when asking KudoZ?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »