Mobile menu

Can it be made clearer that a question has been closed without grading?
Thread poster: Nesrin

Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:14
English to Arabic
+ ...
Jan 23, 2008

I'm sure this question has been raised before, but I couldn't find it through a simple search.

Anyway, just yesterday an En>Ar question was closed shortly after appearing because the asker found out that the question had been asked on Kudoz before.
No answers had been submitted yet, but after closing it, she received three answers.
Not only is the note saying "Question closed without grading, answer found elsewhere" barely visible above the question, but also, in the questions list, the question does not appear as closed (graded questions have a grayed out number of answers field), so people looking at the questions list have no way of telling that it's closed.

I think that's quite a simple change to make, and it would save people the time and effort spent on trying to help a colleague that doesn't need that help anymore.

Direct link Reply with quote

Maciek Drobka  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 09:14
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
I totally agree... Jan 23, 2008

...with Nesrin.

My observations are exactly the same. And suggestions, too.

Maciek

Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
French to Portuguese
+ ...
I once suggested that... Jan 23, 2008

... and nothing was done.

Maybe we should send a support ticket.

Jared Tabor
Local time: 04:14
SITE STAFF
Sure it can Jan 23, 2008

Hello Nesrin and Maciek,

Thank you for bringing this up, this is a very good point. I will have one of our developers make this notice a little easier to see.

Please note that, even if a question has been closed, adding your answer to it benefits the community, as it gives future askers or term searchers more options for that particular term.

Best regards,

Jared

Editing: Sorry Ivana, I was typing my post while you posted!

xxxCMJ_Trans
French to English
+ ...
it would also be nice, and helpful, if.... Jan 23, 2008

when questions are closed because "answer found elsewhere", people actually took the trouble to tell us what the answer was..

Common courtesy but also part of the learning process

Ken Cox  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
agree with CMJ_Trans Jan 23, 2008

... and you could easily put some teeth in that by requiring the asker to enter a translation before closing a question due to 'answer found elsewhere' (you do want that for the glossary, don't you?).

Stéphanie Soudais  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
English to French
seems that it has changed, but... Jan 25, 2008

I have just noticed that "Question closed without grading..." is now placed above the question, right in the middle, but I find it is even less visible than before, probably because it is of same colour and same font than other info (e.g. "return to KudoZ list"). I suggest to use a distinct colour and/or a bigger font.

Stéphanie

Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Agree Jan 25, 2008

Stéphanie Soudais wrote:

I have just noticed that "Question closed without grading..." is now placed above the question, right in the middle, but I find it is even less visible than before, probably because it is of same colour and same font than other info (e.g. "return to KudoZ list"). I suggest to use a distinct colour and/or a bigger font.

Stéphanie

It's a bit more visible now, as it has been moved to the middle, and font size and colour have changed, but it's still above the question where it doesn't catch the eye. I think it would be more visible if it was placed under the question, where you would normally find a graded answer, or the "Ask the Asker" field.

Stéphanie Soudais  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
English to French
it is NOT more visible ! Jan 30, 2008

Here we are, I have just wasted 5 minutes starting to answer a question before realizing that it had been closed.

Nesrin wrote:

in the questions list, the question does not appear as closed (graded questions have a grayed out number of answers field), so people looking at the questions list have no way of telling that it's closed.

Agree, I do not understand why these "questions closed without grading" should not have this grey box on the Kudoz List.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can it be made clearer that a question has been closed without grading?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs