marking target dialect in answers?
Thread poster: lexical
lexical
lexical  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:32
Portuguese to English
Feb 13, 2008

I expect this has been raised before, but I can't see what the Target Dialect option does in Kudoz answers. When I answer a question in the PT>EN pair, I have the option to mark my answer as British or American English. I imagine there are similar options for the different dialects of German, say.

However, when I select a dialect it doesn't seem to show up in the answer, and now I come to think about it, I've never noticed that sort of indication in anybody else's answer either (unl
... See more
I expect this has been raised before, but I can't see what the Target Dialect option does in Kudoz answers. When I answer a question in the PT>EN pair, I have the option to mark my answer as British or American English. I imagine there are similar options for the different dialects of German, say.

However, when I select a dialect it doesn't seem to show up in the answer, and now I come to think about it, I've never noticed that sort of indication in anybody else's answer either (unless they state it as part of their explanation).

It would actually be very useful (if anybody used it) - some of the disagreement in that pair is nothing more than US v. UK English variants being defended. A similar feature would also be useful in the Ask Questions section, though I accept it may be difficult to program, and askers do not always understand that there are different dialects and vocabularies in certain languages.

Tell me I've got it all wrong, and that I'm barking up the wrong tree.
Collapse

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:32
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Very similar discussion in another forum Feb 13, 2008

It is interesting that this topic came up at the same time at two different forums.
Here is the link to the other discussion:

http://www.proz.com/topic/96767

lexical
Spain
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
thank you, Katalin Feb 13, 2008

I see you've posted a link to this thread in the other forum too.

What we still don't know is why the feature seems not to work in Answer Questions - and whether there are plans for it to do so.

Some feedback from site staff woud be nice.

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 05:32
SITE STAFF
Outdated function Feb 14, 2008

Thank you for pointing this out. This function has been removed for some time, though the interface is still there. An optional write-in field will be added instead to allow answerers to clarify language variants in their answers.

Best regards,

Jared

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 02:32
German to English
What about askers? Feb 14, 2008

In my opinion, a functionality for ASKERS to specify the target dialect is even more important.

lexical
Spain
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Jared... Feb 14, 2008

...for clarifying that. I look forward to seeing the change you make. Some kind of facility like this could be really useful, as pointed out not only by me but also contributors to the thread
http://www.proz.com/topic/96767.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

marking target dialect in answers?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »