How to win the KudoZ race
Thread poster: Nikki Graham

Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:50
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
Mar 31, 2003

1. Given that speed is of the essence, you need a broadband connection. That way, you’ll get e-mail notification faster and pages will download faster too, giving you more chances of answering first. And if you answer first, it means you’ll probably get more agrees, given that most people confuse being first with being right, or simply can’t be bothered to scroll down the page (and wade through all the Google examples, see 9).

2. If you don’t have broadband (or even if you do), keep a number of pages open and keep on refreshing to see the questions before anyone else does.

3. Think of an answer while the page is downloading, as it doesn’t matter if you don’t have a clue about the specific term or subject matter. Similarly,...

4. Put your answer without reading the context (that’s if any was provided in the first place).

5. As the programme won’t let you submit an answer without putting something in that rather large white box (extremely annoying), add your standard phrase (for example: that’s it, Ya, OK? –question mark optional-, Exp), or even a combination of these if you’re feeling particularly generous. However, if you think there could be a lot of competition for this question, just add +, *, or anything else that will trick the programme into letting you submit an answer. Another way of solving this problem is to put “see below” in the “Enter ONLY the translated word or phrase” box, and the translation in the big white box. This practice is, of course, frowned upon. But don’t worry, lots of people do it and get away with it.

6. Make sure your confidence level is as near to “I am sure” as you dare put it, otherwise the asker will think you don’t know what you’re talking about it.

7. Hit “submit answer” and start thinking of how you can justify your answer (see 9)

8. If someone else has got there first, you can always disagree with their answer even if it’s quite reasonable. This is a good way of fooling askers who can’t make head nor tail of their translations into choosing your answer, especially if they are the type who only leave their questions open for a maximum of 15 minutes anyway, which is another reason why it’s so important to be fast and first.

9. Paste as many hits from Google as possible. Hopefully, if you bombard the asker with loads of text, he/she won’t bother to check it and therefore won’t notice that half them are not even relevant!

10. Don’t worry about giving dictionary references. Most people who ask questions don’t seem to know what they are anyway.

I hope you find these tips useful!

Direct link Reply with quote

Domenica Grangiotti  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:50
English to Italian
+ ...
May I add one? Mar 31, 2003

11) Do some research by consulting any experts you may have handy, and do not hesitate in citing them in your reply.

Incidentally, my cats always prove very helpful when translating questions in the \"vet\" area and since I own four of them, I can claim I have vast experience in the subject!

Pity they can just talk and can\'t write, otherwise they might take advantage of the second monitor and answer questions at double speed.

Sorry, I could not resist!

Let\'s have fun ... and don\'t take Kudoz too seriously!

Domenica

P.S.

IF we\'re answering. If we are posting questions, we are entitled to the best professional help ))

[ This Message was edited by: domenica02 on 2003-03-31 15:32]

xxxCHENOUMI  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
KudoZZZZZZz to You, Nikki ! Mar 31, 2003

Hello Nikki,

Thank you for a good laugh. I started my ProZ typical day by reading your posting first.

You could not imagine how right you are, and how I was cracking up...

Quote:
8. If someone else has got there first, you can always disagree with their answer even if it’s quite reasonable. This is a good way of fooling askers who can’t make head nor tail of their translations into choosing your answer, especially if they are the type who only leave their questions open for a maximum of 15 minutes anyway, which is another reason why it’s so important to be fast and first.

10. Don’t worry about giving dictionary references. Most people who ask questions don’t seem to know what they are anyway.

Your remarks are so right!!

Have a nice day!

Sandra

lefoque
United States
Local time: 04:50
French to English
+ ...
Agree to a point Mar 31, 2003

It does seem that askers sometimes pick answers that are not necessarily the correct answer. I\'ve felt that I\'ve provided the right answer backed up by sources and documentation only to have someone choose another answer, usually because that person has more Kudoz points or several agrees. Well I guess that\'s the way it works and I don\'t begrudge anyone for choosing an incorrect answer or a less precise answer over the correct one. Afterall, if their client is satisified with the translation, who cares if I think it was wrong or not?

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
That little "+" Mar 31, 2003

It recently came up for consideration that \"last touches\" to a kudoz answer should move that answer down the page in chronological order of the \"last touch\" - rather a good idea, I\'d say, since we get people complaining \"X stole my thunder\" when \"thunder\" was the sixth or seventh answer given after ten tries, and X came in second place with \"thunder\" conveniently in the top line...

[ This Message was edited by: Parrot on 2003-03-31 19:36]

Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:50
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Last touches in last place Mar 31, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-03-31 17:05, Parrot wrote:

It recently came up for consideration that \"last touches\" to a kudoz answer should move that answer down the page in chronological order of the \"last touch\" - rather a good idea, I\'d say, since we get people complaining \"X stole my thunder\" when \"thunder\" was the sixth or seventh answer given after ten tries, and X came in second place with the answer conveniently in the top line...

I had never thought of this and I think it\'s a brilliant idea!!! Yes! If you \"make a mistake\" or want to add some extra info (or just SOME info), then you should go to the bottom of the list.

Albina  Identity Verified
English to Albanian
+ ...
Let me add two unique ones: Mar 31, 2003

If you want to attract the asker with your answer you may say:

1. The other answers are too literal and therefore they are bad for your business.

2. If other answers are right and they are also backed up by dictionaries, what else can you say? Well, here is a GOOD one:

The dictionaries are so wrong. Even the ATA President talks about many mistranslations in some dictionaries….

The results? You got ALL the points

HTH,

Albina

xxxPaulaMac
French to English
+ ...
You forgot one! Mar 31, 2003

Nikki, you forgot one:

Play the field - feel free to answer outside your pair, preferably into your second or third language! What\'s the big deal - lots of people seem to be accepting translations and asking questions outside their own pair!

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
As an asker I always look at the top line Mar 31, 2003

unless the documentation offered is relevant (and a large percentage of Google is not). The problem with Google searches is that you can search the way Heisenberg said you can question matter: if you ask a wave question, it will answer in waves and if you ask a particle question, it will answer in particles. You can literally force your answer on a Google search, and sometimes the contexts are absurd.

Alexandru Pojoga
Romania
Local time: 11:50
Japanese to English
+ ...
Tell me about Google... Mar 31, 2003

Right on! You can make up the most absurd query ever and still come up with hits.

The moral, of course, is: don\'t take jobs outside your competence area.

Maria Knorr
Local time: 04:50
English
+ ...
Asking outside of your pairs Mar 31, 2003

This is a really good and funny thread, but I have an objection to the phrase below as I have asked outside of my pairs (twice in fact). I asked because I heard those phrases and wanted to know what they mean for my personal knowledge.

Quote:

- lots of people seem to be accepting translations and asking questions outside their own pair!

George Hopkins
Swedish to English
On a serious note Mar 31, 2003

Having broadband doesn\'t seem to help much with regard to receiving questions.

I find that some questions in my language pair never reach me, and although I\'m linked up most of the time, and get an indication when e-mail arrives, some of the questions have been answered long ago by others. Does anyone have a clue on how the system works?
[addsig]

Сергей Лузан
Russian Federation
Local time: 11:50
German to Russian
+ ...
Just kidding, Nikky. Mar 31, 2003

Liked it. You\'re both right & not. Fun to read, no sense to use.
[addsig]

Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 03:50
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Impress askers being first...! Apr 1, 2003

Nikki has revealed almost every clue needed for winning the KudoZ race. But there\'s more. Sometimes our colleagues of the English Spanish pair have called me \"El proziano más rápido del Oeste\" and things like that. If you are willing to become one of them, add the following feature to your broadband connection, open explorer pages, and the rest of Nikki\'s list:

When clicking on the \"submit\" button of your answer page, notice at the bottom (if your task bar is at the bottom) of the screen the small field that fills with blue as the page reloads. Immediately after the blue bar starts to drag from left to right in the field, click the \"stop\" button in the explorer bar on top. This will expedite your submittal even when the page stops reloading. Your answer then will have been submitted saving you fractions of second at the time of gaining terrain to other competitors. Then reload your page and (Eureka!) many times you\'ll see that your answer is displayed first, frequently showing the same response time as the one of your colleagues. Impress askers being first. That is what counts, and works. The quality of your response takes a second place.

Note: Be careful not to click on the \"stop\" button too soon or your answer won\'t go. You should try this several times until you feel pretty confident that you have mastered it. Invest your time in this trick instead of searching dictionaries or the Internet. It will reward you with scores of Kudoz points and the admiration and respect from ProZ askers!

In earnest, I share this because it saves me a lot of time when I have a slow connection or am very busy at work. Try this one and keep doing other tasks while your page reloads. Then go for the next question...

Elías

Anila Mayhew  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:50
English to Albanian
+ ...
Here are some clever ones Apr 1, 2003

1. Have your family members (disguised under a different name of course) agree with you all the time since you are the only one that knows who they are. This seems to work particularly well to acquire points rather fast.

2. When the asker doesn\'t award points have two same exact members (they could either be real friends or imaginary ones) agree with your answer on a regular basis and your answer is graded based on peer agreement.

3. Keep misquoting others so that you look better and better all the time since by the above methods you have already surpassed others with your points and are considered an expert now.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to win the KudoZ race

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs