Refining Kudoz searches - programming issue?
Thread poster: Edward Potter
Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:41
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 5, 2008

Not too long ago it seems that the Kudoz search engine was tweaked. I used to be able to key in common terms such as "cash on delivery" and get exact matches immediately. This no longer happens. Now I get dozens of irrelevant terms that contain "cash" or "delivery", but my term is nowhere to be found.

Can anyone help me with this?

Yolanda Broad
Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:41
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

Check the "exact match" option Mar 5, 2008

Hello Edward,

I just ran your phrase through the term search and got

» KOG results: 3
» KudoZ archive results: 2
» Personal glossary results: 123

All of them exact matches (although some of them include more than the term requested).

You can set your KudoZ options to "Match exact phrase"

And to keep your settings, always click on "Search and save settings"

Edward Potter
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Another question Mar 5, 2008

Thank you Yolanda. It worked.

And now another question: how do I do a search without having to highlight the "Term or phrase" box every time?

Yolanda Broad
United States
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

Highlighting the term or phrase box? Mar 5, 2008

Hello Edward,

You've lost me here. I simply enter the term I want to search in the term or phrase box and click "Search and save settings" When I want to do another search, I remove the term in that box and add (paste or type in) the new one.

Yolanda

Edward Potter
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Clarification Mar 5, 2008

I would like to key in a term, hit enter, look at my results, then key in another term, hit enter, look at my results, etc., without ever touching my mouse, except only to scroll down.

[Edited at 2008-03-05 23:37]

Yolanda Broad
United States
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

No need to use your mouse at all (with one tiny exception)! Mar 6, 2008

Key in your term and hit enter. The settings won't change so long as you don't do anything further to them. As for "scrolling" down the page, why not use the cursor arrows and the up page/down page keys? They'll get you up and down the page just as well, without ever taking your hands off the keyboard. And when you do want to change a setting, hit the tab key after entering your term until your cursor lands at the right place, then hit enter.

(The one time you'll need your mouse
... See more
Key in your term and hit enter. The settings won't change so long as you don't do anything further to them. As for "scrolling" down the page, why not use the cursor arrows and the up page/down page keys? They'll get you up and down the page just as well, without ever taking your hands off the keyboard. And when you do want to change a setting, hit the tab key after entering your term until your cursor lands at the right place, then hit enter.

(The one time you'll need your mouse is to get back into that term or phrase box--but maybe somebody knows a key combination to go back up the page?)
Collapse

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Shift+Tab Mar 6, 2008

Yolanda Broad wrote:

(The one time you'll need your mouse is to get back into that term or phrase box--but maybe somebody knows a key combination to go back up the page?)

That would be shift+tab.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Refining Kudoz searches - programming issue?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »