Proposal: make it easier to copy a KudoZ rule
Thread poster: Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 01:05
German to English
Mar 8, 2008

Ever tried to copy and paste a KudoZ rule? After you select the text you have to be extremely fast at pressing the Crtl key and C key before it all disappears.

Try it:
http://www.proz.com/kudozrules

Maria Karra
Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:05
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
Agree Mar 8, 2008

Yes, please! Not the entire rule has to be clickable. Just make the first sentence/summary clicikable. Having to select and copy clickable text is a usability nightmare.

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 10:05
English to Greek
+ ...
Not sure I got the point... Mar 8, 2008

I tried to copy/paste a few Kudoz rules, just because I was impressed by the posting. Well, it worked just fine!

Selecting the text needs a little more care, because it is clickable, but the text didn't disappear, because I had already opened the rule which I was selecting.
If I selected a rule I hadn't already opened, yes it disappeared, as t
... See more
I tried to copy/paste a few Kudoz rules, just because I was impressed by the posting. Well, it worked just fine!

Selecting the text needs a little more care, because it is clickable, but the text didn't disappear, because I had already opened the rule which I was selecting.
If I selected a rule I hadn't already opened, yes it disappeared, as the browser was directing me to it. But the solution is so simple! Open it first, then select and copy it, it should work just fine!

And, another thing... obviously, how fast it disappears, depends on your connection speed: the faster your connection, the faster it disappears!!!

Don't give up... just keep going!!
Collapse

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:05
English to Arabic
+ ...
No problems here Mar 8, 2008

I tried it a few times, and like Eleni, didn't have that problem. Maybe it depends on how you select the text? Clicking and dragging the mouse works just fine, but double/triple clicking on the paragraph doesn't.

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:05
English to Arabic
+ ...
Oh wait.. Mar 8, 2008

Yes, I just discovered that some paragraphs are problematic and the selecting doesn't quite work - while other paragraphs are ok. But even the problematic paragraphs can be copied if you don't copy the entire paragraph - e.g. if you omit the final full stop.

[Edited at 2008-03-08 16:51]

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 01:05
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Why are they clickable in the first place? Mar 8, 2008

Eleni Makantani wrote:

If I selected a rule I hadn't already opened, yes it disappeared, as the browser was directing me to it. But the solution is so simple! Open it first, then select and copy it, it should work just fine!

Yes, you're right Eleni. Once you've clicked on a rule it's easy to copy it. But why are they clickable in the first place?

Don't mourn - organize! Joe Hill

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 09:05
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
They are clickable, because... Mar 8, 2008

... once you click it, the link in your address bar changes to the link pointing directly to that rule, so it is easier to copy it and point it out to someone.

HTH,
Magda

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:05
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
A clickable text is inconvenient Mar 8, 2008

Magda Dziadosz wrote:
... the link in your address bar changes to the link pointing directly to that rule, so it is easier to copy it and point it out to someone.

Actually, the corresponding link is shown even clicking on the rules number.
It is not necessary, and inconvenient, to have the full text clickable too.

Gianfranco

[Edited at 2008-03-08 23:00]

Maria Karra
Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:05
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
not just inconvenient but also a usability no-no Mar 8, 2008

Well, I still have trouble selecting the text, whether I click on the rule or not. As soon as I select it, it "deselects" itself. I always have to repeat this 3-4 times until I finally succeed.

One of my favorite sites about programming is CodingHorror.com . There's an article there about usability and hyperlinks.
One of the programming tips it offers is:
Don't link things the user might want to select and copy. Woe upon the poor user who needs to se
... See more
Well, I still have trouble selecting the text, whether I click on the rule or not. As soon as I select it, it "deselects" itself. I always have to repeat this 3-4 times until I finally succeed.

One of my favorite sites about programming is CodingHorror.com . There's an article there about usability and hyperlinks.
One of the programming tips it offers is:
Don't link things the user might want to select and copy. Woe upon the poor user who needs to select and copy hyperlinked text. It requires a complex ballet of very precise mouse movements to get it to work at all.
http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000985.html

So, for those of us who have to select and copy the rules often, please make them unclickable.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I agree with GF Mar 9, 2008

gianfranco wrote:
Actually, the corresponding link is shown even clicking on the rules number. It is not necessary, and inconvenient, to have the full text clickable too.

I agree. I just visted the rules page to see what the fuss of the initial post was about, and for a moment there I thought that my computer had frozen up again because the mouse pointer (little hand) wouldn't to become an arrow.

The best way to implement stuff on the web is the way it is done elsewhere, so that everything works *as expected*.

If I had wanted to point out a specific rule to someone, I would have scrolled to the top of the page to see if there is an index with in-page links to the various rules.

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
It's a good test of your mouse skills... Mar 14, 2008

Kim Metzger wrote:

Ever tried to copy and paste a KudoZ rule? After you select the text you have to be extremely fast at pressing the Crtl key and C key before it all disappears.

Try it:
http://www.proz.com/kudozrules

Mine clearly aren't good enough!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proposal: make it easier to copy a KudoZ rule

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »