International Women\'s Day
Thread poster: Andrea Bullrich
Andrea Bullrich
Andrea Bullrich  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:49
English to Spanish
Mar 8, 2002

Happy International Women\'s Day to all of us!

And since the translator is always there, here\'s an IWD glossary:

http://womhist.binghamton.edu/iwd/glossary.htm

Andrea

Bob Kerns (X)
Bob Kerns (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:49
German to English
International Men's Day Mar 8, 2002

When is it, if at all, and if not why not?

Mary McCusker
Mary McCusker  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:49
German to English
+ ...
Int'l Men's Day Mar 8, 2002

Well, the feminist stance would probably be that the other 364 days of the year are International Men\'s Day, but why not have a special day indeed? Any ideas as to a good date for such an event...

Derek Smith
Derek Smith  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:49
Italian to English
+ ...
International persons day Mar 8, 2002

Anytime (tomorrow?) would be fine, as long as it doesn\'t clash with this other major event that I\'m planning. All that\'s needed to qualify for participation is to be accredited as a person at Proz (I will discuss this with the backward-glancing man) by sending in a recent photo, video clip and some DNA. If three other accredited persons attest to your humanity (although the category might soon be extended to include some members of the animal kingdom and small flat stones), you get a little (... See more
Anytime (tomorrow?) would be fine, as long as it doesn\'t clash with this other major event that I\'m planning. All that\'s needed to qualify for participation is to be accredited as a person at Proz (I will discuss this with the backward-glancing man) by sending in a recent photo, video clip and some DNA. If three other accredited persons attest to your humanity (although the category might soon be extended to include some members of the animal kingdom and small flat stones), you get a little (P) after your name and loads of goodwill.Collapse

Bob Kerns (X)
Bob Kerns (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Proposal for a date for int'l men's day Mar 8, 2002

Tomorrow and/or the day after and/or the day after that and so on, with the exception of International Women\'s Day since I have to look after the kids that day.

Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
German to Romanian
+ ...
isn't there a men's day on March 10th Mar 8, 2002

I sort of remeber that girls got gifts from boys on the 8th, and then guys said that the 10th is men\'s day (however this was a long time ago, while I was still in school, and the memories are not very fresh)

bochkor
bochkor
Local time: 09:49
English to German
+ ...
Have both! Mar 8, 2002

I have no problem with an International Women\'s Day, AS LONG AS there is (will be) an International Men\'s Day, too. So I will celebrate any of them only, when the other exists, too. If somebody is serious about equal rights, then having both should not be a problem for that person.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-03-08 18:32 ]

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:49
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Our rights are quite new! Mar 8, 2002

Did you know that 120 years ago the U.S. hitorian Francis Packman prayed God to deliver America from the \"the most reckless of experiments\" (meaning suffrage) propelled by \"a few agitators\"?

That three years later, William Hammond assured that there were \"grave anatomical and physiological reasons\" why women should not be in politics, and, even worse, that \"a peculiar neurotic conditions called the hysterical is grafted on the organ of woman.\" (One supposes he meant the brain)?
... See more
Did you know that 120 years ago the U.S. hitorian Francis Packman prayed God to deliver America from the \"the most reckless of experiments\" (meaning suffrage) propelled by \"a few agitators\"?

That three years later, William Hammond assured that there were \"grave anatomical and physiological reasons\" why women should not be in politics, and, even worse, that \"a peculiar neurotic conditions called the hysterical is grafted on the organ of woman.\" (One supposes he meant the brain)?

We had to fight a lot for our rights, that\'s why I celebrate the Woman\'s Day!

Regards,

Clarisa Moraña
Collapse

Coco
Coco
German to English
+ ...
Mother's Day Mar 8, 2002

Talking of women\'s day - can anybody help me and tell when mother\'s day is celebrated in Germany?

Andrzej Lejman
Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
Mar 8, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-03-08 15:27, RKKerns wrote:

When is it, if at all, and if not why not?

We have it in Poland, really! On the 4th of April. It\'s not as popular as Womens\' Day, but we do our best!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

International Women\'s Day

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »