UN Examinations for language positions (Arabic Interpreters, English Language Coordinator)
Thread poster: Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 03:31
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Mar 20, 2004

Examinations for language positions: (no nationality requirement)

2004 Competitive Examination for Arabic Interpreters
The application period has been extended to 23 April 2004
New tentative examination dates: 15-16 June 2004
All applicants will be notified in writing about the status of their application by the middle of June. Do not make travel arrangements until you are convoked. If you have already submitted an application and received an application number,
... See more
Examinations for language positions: (no nationality requirement)

2004 Competitive Examination for Arabic Interpreters
The application period has been extended to 23 April 2004
New tentative examination dates: 15-16 June 2004
All applicants will be notified in writing about the status of their application by the middle of June. Do not make travel arrangements until you are convoked. If you have already submitted an application and received an application number, do NOT resend.
Read the notice carefully before applying.

2004 Competitive Examination for English Language Coordinator
Application deadline: 15 April 2004
Examination Notice in English, Application Form

http://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/examin/exam.htm
Collapse

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:31
Flemish to English
+ ...
Age limit Mar 20, 2004

Am I mistaken or is the age limit to participate in such competitions 32?

[Edited at 2004-03-20 17:12]

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 03:31
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It depends Mar 20, 2004

In the FAQ I found this

Q: I will be 33 years old on 31 December of the year of the exam. Can I apply?
A: No, you cannot apply because you must be 32 years old or younger as of 31 December of the year of the exam. There is no exception (even for one day) to the age requirement to apply for the National Competitive Examination, which is held for recruiting profe... See more
In the FAQ I found this

Q: I will be 33 years old on 31 December of the year of the exam. Can I apply?
A: No, you cannot apply because you must be 32 years old or younger as of 31 December of the year of the exam. There is no exception (even for one day) to the age requirement to apply for the National Competitive Examination, which is held for recruiting professionals for junior posts. However, with the necessary qualification, you may apply for more senior posts which do not bear age requirements. You may find specific requirements for these posts by visiting www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/.

And somewhere else I had read that you should be at least 4 years younger than retirement age.
The problem with this recruitment is also that sometimes they recruit 3 years after the examination.
Collapse

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:31
Flemish to English
+ ...
Newspeak Mar 20, 2004

What is meant with the necessary qualification? A diploma? Or do they mean experience.

Except for recruitment exams for citizens of the ascension countries, that is also the case with the E.U.recruitment exams although the time span between publication of the reserve list of "lucky ones" and starting with the job is a bit shorter.
Some international institutions do not even bother to answer an application.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

UN Examinations for language positions (Arabic Interpreters, English Language Coordinator)

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »