https://www.proz.com/forum/language_industry_events_announcements/23460-prozcom_convention_2004%3A_other_communications.html

ProZ.com Convention 2004: OTHER COMMUNICATIONS
Thread poster: gianfranco
gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:54
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Jul 31, 2004

Please use this thread for any other communication or free chat related to the Conferenze in Oxford.

Note: there are 3 dedicated threads for Travel, Accomodation and Events information.
Anything else goes here... Thank you

Gianfranco
ProZ.com Team

The event page: http://www.proz.com/powwow/567

Dr Andrew Read
Dr Andrew Read  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:54
German to English
+ ...
Don't forget to read... Jul 31, 2004

...the "His Dark Materials" trilogy by Philip Pullman, especially the first part, "Northern Lights" before you all come to Oxford. It's a great book and partly set in a parallel universe Oxford! Superb atmosphere!

And I did my Masters Translation dissertation on the French and German translations of it.

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 11:54
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
"His Dark Materials" trilogy (off topic) Aug 1, 2004

Andrew Read wrote:
...the "His Dark Materials" trilogy by Philip Pullman, especially the first part, "Northern Lights" before you all come to Oxford. It's a great book and partly set in a parallel universe Oxford! Superb atmosphere!

I'm reading them in Italian right now and can only agree: great books, was fully absorbed in the first 2 which I read in a few days, now half-way through the 3rd.

The Italian editions have unfortunately been translated by different translators, and that comes across if you read them in close sequence. Great read nonetheless!

(I started to read them as I was looking for something my 9 yr old would enjoy: he's hooked on Harry Potter, has read all 5 books several times each, in both Italian and German, and it's difficult to find something that would match HP as far as involvement, fun and excitement!)

Roberta

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
payment information please... Aug 30, 2004

I will certainly come to the conference (Oxford is my home town, so it's a good chance for me to catch up with old mates) but I'd like some clarification on payment...
1) it's now after 20th August so the early booking discount is presumably no longer valid, but it's still subtracted when I click on "pay now". Will I be required to pay the difference at a later date?
2) Although as I am an EU resident the announcement says VAT will be added at the appropriate rate, when I go through
... See more
I will certainly come to the conference (Oxford is my home town, so it's a good chance for me to catch up with old mates) but I'd like some clarification on payment...
1) it's now after 20th August so the early booking discount is presumably no longer valid, but it's still subtracted when I click on "pay now". Will I be required to pay the difference at a later date?
2) Although as I am an EU resident the announcement says VAT will be added at the appropriate rate, when I go through the payments procedure no VAT is added...
3) How can I request an invoice, or is this generated automatically?

I'll pay up as soon as I know exactly how much I'll be charged!

[Edited at 2004-08-30 12:28]
Collapse

Dr Andrew Read
Dr Andrew Read  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:54
German to English
+ ...
More on "His Dark Materials" Sep 1, 2004

Roberta Anderson wrote:

Andrew Read wrote:

I'm reading them in Italian right now and can only agree: great books, was fully absorbed in the first 2 which I read in a few days, now half-way through the 3rd.

The Italian editions have unfortunately been translated by different translators, and that comes across if you read them in close sequence. Great read nonetheless!

(I started to read them as I was looking for something my 9 yr old would enjoy: he's hooked on Harry Potter, has read all 5 books several times each, in both Italian and German, and it's difficult to find something that would match HP as far as involvement, fun and excitement!)

Roberta

Hi Roberta,
Sorry I only just noticed your note on this. I guess you decided not to let your son read them in the end, as the 3rd one certainly has some content that may not so suitable for pre-teens. Anyway, you've got a treat in store: read them in English afterwards - there's lots of richness in the text that really doesn't come across in the French and German translations (which I wrote about in my Masters dissertation). I'd be surprised if the Italian translation is any better.

Don't start me on how or why the translations are poor, but if you come to the Convention, I'll tell you!
Yours
Andrew

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
Buy a prepaid phone card for your mobile when you're in England Nov 16, 2004

Oxford Conference mobile phone tip:

I and my wallet has for long been irritated by the fact that if I want to call my son who is at Trafalgar Square my call from Picadilly Circus will be transferred via Stockholm, costing some 3-5 times more than it would cost if the call was kept within the national net.
That is how the "clandestine agreement" between the world's mobile phone operators work!

But there are solutions. I did not succeed in organising it for the ProZ
... See more
Oxford Conference mobile phone tip:

I and my wallet has for long been irritated by the fact that if I want to call my son who is at Trafalgar Square my call from Picadilly Circus will be transferred via Stockholm, costing some 3-5 times more than it would cost if the call was kept within the national net.
That is how the "clandestine agreement" between the world's mobile phone operators work!

But there are solutions. I did not succeed in organising it for the ProZ.com mods meeting in Sitges in Februar but now I found a way.
After spending ours with Vodafone, that only had to offer "We don't, We can't, We won't" or on a website that took minutes if at all to load @ £ 10 minumum I gave up and called the competition.

Orange has a £ 6.99 "Pay as you go" prepaid card that you could order at
http://shop.orange.co.uk/shop/sim_connection_pack (did not work for me)
If that doesn't work, you can call +44-800-801080-"Press #2" 8-23 Sundays 8-17 (Pay as you go sales)

The delivery address has to be in the UK so I gave them the address of the guest house I'm staying at.

ONE VERY IMPORTANT POINT: Your phone must not be locked to any operator or network (other than Orange of course) because then the card won't work.

I can't tell you the break-even point for this investment but I guess you have to stay for more than two days.

Best

Mats J C Wiman
Übersetzer/Translator/Traducteur/Traductor > swe
http://www.MatsWiman.com
http://www.Deutsch-Schwedisch.com
http://www.proz.com/pro/1749
(Proz.com moderator, deu>swe, Swedish)
Träsk 201
SE-872 97 Skog
Schweden/Sweden/Suède/Suecia
Tel:+46-612-54112 Fax:+46-612-54181 Mobile:+46-70-5769797
[email protected]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ProZ.com Convention 2004: OTHER COMMUNICATIONS

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »