Thread poster: Bertha S. Deffenbaugh
Bertha S. Deffenbaugh
Bertha S. Deffenbaugh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:12
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 25, 2002

Loving dogs and animals as much as I do, I would also like to honor Sirius.

\"Police Dog Who Died at World Trade Center Honored\"

April 24, 2002 07:53 PM ET

JERSEY CITY, N.J. (Reuters) - Bagpipes trilled and a 21-gun salute sounded as police and firefighters from as far away as San Francisco gathered on Wednesday to honor Sirius, the only police dog to die
... See more
Loving dogs and animals as much as I do, I would also like to honor Sirius.

\"Police Dog Who Died at World Trade Center Honored\"

April 24, 2002 07:53 PM ET

JERSEY CITY, N.J. (Reuters) - Bagpipes trilled and a 21-gun salute sounded as police and firefighters from as far away as San Francisco gathered on Wednesday to honor Sirius, the only police dog to die in the Sept. 11 attack on the World Trade Center.

\"We came to show our respects for a lost brother,\" said Deputy Matt Cummings from Kanawha County, West Virginia. The memorial ceremony was held in bright spring sunshine at Liberty State Park, just across the Hudson River from where the twin towers once stood.

Cummings and some 100 officers with K-9 dogs paused before an urn holding Sirius\'s ashes to salute the four-year-old yellow Labrador retriever, who lost his life in the basement of Two World Trade Center.

The remains of the dog, an explosives detector at the World Trade Center, were found on Jan. 22 and ceremoniously removed, draped in an American flag, by Port Authority of New York and New Jersey police.

Port Authority police officer David Lim, Sirius\' partner, put the dog in his cage when the Sept. 11 attack began in order to focus on rescue efforts. It\'s a decision he said he had \"grieved over but knew was for the greater good.\"

Lim was presented with Sirius\' stainless steel bowl, found by the FBI in the evidence search at Freshkills Landfill on Staten Island and engraved with the dog\'s shield Number 17, 9-11-01 and \"I gave my life so you may save others.\"

\"It\'s something I\'ll cherish,\" Lim said tearfully.

Sirius was posthumously awarded the Victoria Cross at the British Embassy in Manhattan earlier this month.

Collapse

Patricia Baldwin
Patricia Baldwin
United States
Local time: 06:12
Spanish to English
+ ...
My salute to brave Sirius! Dec 6, 2007

Thank you ever so much Bertha for mentioning Sirius!

Valiant dogs and many animals have given their lives to save their masters and others. I thank God every day for our pets, the wonderful companions that brighten our lives. Today, I salute Sirius with a thorn in my heart for him and all the innocent creatures in the world that selflessly suffer and daily sacrifice their lives for our safety and, for those of us who are not vegetarains, food.

... See more
Thank you ever so much Bertha for mentioning Sirius!

Valiant dogs and many animals have given their lives to save their masters and others. I thank God every day for our pets, the wonderful companions that brighten our lives. Today, I salute Sirius with a thorn in my heart for him and all the innocent creatures in the world that selflessly suffer and daily sacrifice their lives for our safety and, for those of us who are not vegetarains, food.

To the brave Sirius....

Lord Byron's "Epitaph to a Dog"

Near this Spot
are deposited the Remains of one
who possessed Beauty without Vanity,
Strength without Insolence,
Courage without Ferosity,
and all the Virtues of Man without his Vices.
This praise, which would be unmeaning Flattery
if inscribed over human Ashes,
is but a just tribute to the Memory of
BOATSWAIN, a DOG.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dog Honored: Sirius

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »