Oxford Program posted
Thread poster: Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 17:50
SITE FOUNDER
Nov 6, 2004

The program for our Oxford Conference, to be held November 27-28 in Oxford, UK, has been posted: http://proz.com/?sp=program

Feedback is welcome (in reply to this posting). There is still (a little bit of) time for changes.

This powwow page shows more details and a list of those who ar
... See more
The program for our Oxford Conference, to be held November 27-28 in Oxford, UK, has been posted: http://proz.com/?sp=program

Feedback is welcome (in reply to this posting). There is still (a little bit of) time for changes.

This powwow page shows more details and a list of those who are registered or have expressed interest: http://proz.com/powwow/567

To register for the event: http://www.proz.com/oxford
Collapse

Judith Schmid
Judith Schmid
France
Local time: 23:50
English to German
Tax issues for UK freelancers? Nov 7, 2004

I thought there was going to be a talk about "Tax issues for UK freelancers". Has this been cancelled? I cannot see it on the programme.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
The original speaker won't be available Nov 7, 2004

Judith Schmid wrote:

I thought there was going to be a talk about "Tax issues for UK freelancers". Has this been cancelled? I cannot see it on the programme.

The original speaker will not be available. If there is enough interest, we can try to line someone else up... nothing can be promised, though, late as it is.

Orsolya Mance
Orsolya Mance  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2004)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
registering interest... Nov 8, 2004

Henry wrote:

Judith Schmid wrote:

The original speaker will not be available. If there is enough interest, we can try to line someone else up... nothing can be promised, though, late as it is.

It would be very useful indeed if you could find someone else to talk about this topic.

[Edited at 2004-11-08 09:47]

Pamela Brizzola
Pamela Brizzola
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Payment on site Nov 8, 2004

Dear Henry
as I explained to Gianfranco Manca, my wallet with all my credit cards was stolen 2 weeks ago, so I cannot use any card to make the on-line payment.
Gianfranco told me that I can pay in pound before the conference begins.
Can you confirm that? But how can I have my name included in the confirmed participants lits if I cannot pay on line?
I'd like to be sure that my place is confirmed.
Secondly, I was told that the price for the conference + 1 year Platinu
... See more
Dear Henry
as I explained to Gianfranco Manca, my wallet with all my credit cards was stolen 2 weeks ago, so I cannot use any card to make the on-line payment.
Can you confirm that? But how can I have my name included in the confirmed participants lits if I cannot pay on line?
Secondly, I was told that the price for the conference + 1 year Platinum is £ 130 and I'd like to take advantage of this opportunity. However, your on-line module does not allow for this chance.

Thank you
Pamela
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Responses to Pamela Nov 8, 2004

Pamela wrote:

Noted--we will hold your place and accept payment in GBP from you at the conference. Other members in a similar position are requested to alert us with a support request, since the onsite price to register will be higher.

Although we will hold your place, a "paid" icon will not appear next to your name (since this is tied to our accounting system.)

Secondly, I was told that the price for the conference + 1 year Platinum is £ 130 and I'd like to take advantage of this opportunity. However, your on-line module does not allow for this chance.

That was an early-bird price. We are offering the same combination at 150 gbp now, which is still 15 gbp / 21.5 eur / 27.8 usd less than the combined price of conference registration and platinum membership. Since you communicated with Gianfranco about this previously, we will honor the early bird price for you, even paid on the day of the event.

Pamela Brizzola
Pamela Brizzola
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Reply to Henry Nov 8, 2004

Dear Henry
thank you very much for holding my place, accepting payment in GBP at the conference and letting me get the early price.
Look forward to meeting you in Oxford.
Pamela

Hepburn
Hepburn  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
More details welcome Nov 18, 2004

Hello Henry,

Although I have done my best to follow the progress of the Pow-wow, I am still left with a few questions which I put to Gianfranco by mail. No reply. Since, I have now one more question: Is anything happening on Friday evening so a first contact can be established informally?
I was also asking Giangranco whether it would be possible somehow to have an idea at the beginning of the convention of which countries are attending, and possibly to get the participants to
... See more
Hello Henry,

Although I have done my best to follow the progress of the Pow-wow, I am still left with a few questions which I put to Gianfranco by mail. No reply. Since, I have now one more question: Is anything happening on Friday evening so a first contact can be established informally?
I was also asking Giangranco whether it would be possible somehow to have an idea at the beginning of the convention of which countries are attending, and possibly to get the participants to be presented so we are given the opportunity of recognizing the well-known names/faces that we got to know through ProZ. Finally, could we have a timetable for the Sunday please?
I would like to attend the Wordfast presentation on the Sunday, but do not know as yet whether the train I am to take will allow for it. When will the final programme be "unveiled"?

Lastly, could we have an update on the participants at this stage? The information on the pow-wow page is not of any help now.

Thanking you and looking forward to that Oxford gathering,

Claudette
Collapse

Gaia Morandi
Gaia Morandi
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Question on Financial translations Nov 18, 2004

[quote]Henry wrote:

Hi Henry,

I have followed with interest the program of this conference, but I don't understand who is going to talk about financial translations and what the agenda of the talk is specifically.
The same question applies to the other subjects discussed in the MGA and Wordsworth room.

Thank you very much in advance for your reply,
Kind regards,
Gaia Morandi

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Replies to Claudette Nov 19, 2004

Claudette Hepburn wrote:

Is anything happening on Friday evening so a first contact can be established informally?

People have been making plans informally. I will start a new thread for the purpose of coordinating arrival times and meeting points. Maybe a central place can be arranged for interested parties to meet before going out.

I was also asking Giangranco whether it would be possible somehow to have an idea at the beginning of the convention of which countries are attending, and possibly to get the participants to be presented so we are given the opportunity of recognizing the well-known names/faces that we got to know through ProZ.com.

An excellent suggestion. We have provided a way for registered participants to make brief introductions of themselves to other participants. See the "Participants" tab on this new conference page: http://proz.com/conference/1

Finally, could we have a timetable for the Sunday please?
I would like to attend the Wordfast presentation on the Sunday, but do not know as yet whether the train I am to take will allow for it.

The program has been updated with the latest info, it is also accessible via http://proz.com/conference/1

Lastly, could we have an update on the participants at this stage? The information on the pow-wow page is not of any help now.

That's true. Of the 170 or so who expressed interest, 95 have actually registered. I am going to send out a request for people to make paid registration asap so that we can make final arrangements for coffee and with the caterer.

I am also asking registered participants to indicate which sessions they plan to attend. You can change your mind at any time, but we need to get an idea. It is particularly important that participants indicate their intention of taking the Wordfast or SDL trainings. There may be issues with arranging power cord extensions, etc. (You have to bring your own laptop, though.)

Thanking you and looking forward to that Oxford gathering

Thank you for the excellent questions and suggestions!

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
More data being added on speakers, sessions Nov 19, 2004

Gaia Morandi wrote:

I have followed with interest the program of this conference, but I don't understand who is going to talk about financial translations and what the agenda of the talk is specifically. The same question applies to the other subjects discussed in the MGA and Wordsworth room.

We have added a bit more data for now, and will add more information as we receive it from speakers. (They now have the option of adding information about their sessions directly into the conference pages.) See: http://www.proz.com/conference/1

Thanks!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Oxford Program posted

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »