Anne Lee
Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:46
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Nov 29, 2004

- That it really is worth experimenting with Word's more advanced features (like writing macros) to speed up my work
- that you can insert a formula in Search & Replace to get rid of all unnecessary carriage returns in documents converted from pdf format. I won't insert the highly technical formula here because I may have taken it down wrong and the author promised to put the info on this site.
- where to get cheaper indemnity cover for my translation work in the UK
- that ther
... See more
- That it really is worth experimenting with Word's more advanced features (like writing macros) to speed up my work
- that you can insert a formula in Search & Replace to get rid of all unnecessary carriage returns in documents converted from pdf format. I won't insert the highly technical formula here because I may have taken it down wrong and the author promised to put the info on this site.
- where to get cheaper indemnity cover for my translation work in the UK
- that there is a real need for affordable Trados training
- that by inserting - (the minus sign) in the Google search bar, you can exclude words from your search just like the + sign includes words
- that many members would benefit from a 'how to' on going online on a laptop with a Bluetooth/mobile phone connection
- that getting business cards is an excellent investment to exchange contact details
- that proz.com has 90,000 members
- that most proz.com members look better than their pictures.
Collapse

Stephanie Wloch
Stephanie Wloch  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:46
Member (2003)
Dutch to German
Quick feedback Nov 29, 2004

Hi Ann! I was so curious about the feedback of the Oxfordians.
Thank you very much for your instructive summary.
90.000 members! WOW!
I am impressed.

Stephanie

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Slight correction Nov 29, 2004

We do NOT have 90,000 members.
The number of registered profiles has exceeded 90,000 indeed.
But please remember, that we have some empty profiles, some profiles set up by kids and other jokers, some earlier member IDs are free, because people have removed their profiles or the profiles has been removed for many various reasons, and so on...

ProZ is an open community, so the registration with us is very easy. If we would apply changes to that, ProZ.com would loose its op
... See more
We do NOT have 90,000 members.
The number of registered profiles has exceeded 90,000 indeed.
But please remember, that we have some empty profiles, some profiles set up by kids and other jokers, some earlier member IDs are free, because people have removed their profiles or the profiles has been removed for many various reasons, and so on...

ProZ is an open community, so the registration with us is very easy. If we would apply changes to that, ProZ.com would loose its openess, which is not what we want.

My impressions from Oxford are similar.
I´m every time astonished at such meetings, that we all think und handle in similar way. This is, what makes ProZ.com out - people devoted to what they do and loving what they do, thus beeing able to meet each other and communicate at once, as would they know each other earlier. This is great and needs to be continued.

Regards
Jerzy

[Edited at 2004-11-29 17:29]
Collapse

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to English
+ ...
Oxford conference Nov 29, 2004

Anne Lee wrote:

I'll second that!

I also learned that:
- There are ways to check where domains come from (whois)
- That poetry translation will not make me rich
- That we are all essentially confronted by the same problems
- That there are real reasons why I should make my profile more specific
- That ProZ pages get a lot of Google hits
- That it is worth backing the site financially (Platinum membership) if only because you will be listed on the first page when potential customers search the database

Regards to all,
Marijke

A Hayes (X)
A Hayes (X)
Australia
Local time: 18:46
We live in hope... Nov 29, 2004

Marijke Singer wrote:

- That poetry translation will not make me rich

Subhamay Ray (X)
Subhamay Ray (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:16
English to Bengali
+ ...
But... Nov 29, 2004

poetry translation does make us rich!

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 04:46
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Exactly, Jerzy Nov 29, 2004

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
I´m every time astonished at such meetings, that we all think und handle in similar way. This is, what makes ProZ.com out - people devoted to what they do and loving what they do, thus beeing able to meet each other and communicate at once, as would they know each other earlier. This is great and need to be continued.

Regards
Jerzy

We do know each other - virtually; but what a feeling to meet in person, and just pick up a conversation where it was left off in cyberspace, as familiarly as old friends... immediately after getting over each other`s appearance in person, that is

I love it, I`ve hosted and attended several pow-wows now, and come away with a lift every time.

I was very disappointed to have missed you all this time but now that so many more have been 'bitten' by the pow-wow bug, I can only see successful conferences growing year by year in our bright future

Nancy

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:46
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
A US ProZ.com Conference now? Nov 29, 2004

Anne Lee wrote:

... and they are even nicer in person

Meeting the ProZians face to face has always been such a wonderful and unforgetful experience for me.

Now is the time to think about a US ProZ.com Conference, right?

Monika

[Edited at 2004-11-29 16:48]

Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
German to Romanian
+ ...
:( Nov 29, 2004

Monika Coulson wrote:

[Now is the time to think about a US ProZ.com Conference, right?

I wanted to say that about the Oxford conference, too.

One of the reasons I did not attend, was that I need a visa for the UK. If there will be a conference in the US, I will need a visa there, too (as I am sure people from many other countries also do). Obtaining a visa is not so easy, because you need to file forms, attending interviews, etc.

Why not have conferences in countries that are more accessible? For example somewhere in Europe. We (Romanians) don't need a visa for Europe, and I am sure this applies to many countries.

I am really sorry I missed the conference. But with all the work I had, there was really no time for that.

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Conference in Europe Nov 29, 2004

Why not - in Cracow or Cologne?
Who would prefer which?

It would be interesting to find out, how many participants would be interested to attend such conference for example mid next year.

Curious
Jerzy

[Edited at 2004-11-29 18:38]

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:46
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Plans for future ProZ.com Conferences Nov 29, 2004

Dear all,

there are plans for future conferences next year, in Europe and not only in Western Europe, but also in other countries and continents where the ProZ.com membership is sufficiently developed to justify the organizational effort.

Henry will be able to post more details and more precise plans. What I wanted to say is just that other similar events will be organized.

Moreover, the new software feature created by Jason to organize the Conference's
... See more
Dear all,

there are plans for future conferences next year, in Europe and not only in Western Europe, but also in other countries and continents where the ProZ.com membership is sufficiently developed to justify the organizational effort.

Henry will be able to post more details and more precise plans. What I wanted to say is just that other similar events will be organized.

Moreover, the new software feature created by Jason to organize the Conference's program, listing the speakers and their biographical data, the sessions' summaries and feedback from the participants, the participants' list, etc... makes sense only if similar events will be held with some frequency in the future.
http://www.proz.com/conference/1

Gianfranco
ProZ.com Team
Collapse

Alex Eames
Alex Eames
Local time: 09:46
English to Polish
+ ...
We were talking about Krakow yesterday Nov 29, 2004

At lunch yesterday I was talking to Magda and she mentioned the idea of a Krakow conference.

I think it's a good idea. Sorry we didn't get the chance to meet Jerzy, but your session was at the same time as mine, and the rest of the time just disappeared.

Alex

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
My feelings... Nov 29, 2004

Alex & Malgorzata Eames wrote:

At lunch yesterday I was talking to Magda and she mentioned the idea of a Krakow conference.

I think it's a good idea. Sorry we didn't get the chance to meet Jerzy, but your session was at the same time as mine, and the rest of the time just disappeared.

Alex

This is exactly what I feel - no chance to meet almost everybody, as the sessions went away as it were an eye catch... And then the time dissapeared faster than the light.
So I hope for the next time - Cracow is my birth city, so if anything happens there, I´m on, how could I miss it!

BTW sorry to all of you, whom I could say hello and failed to say good bye and to all of you, whom I even failed to say hello

Kindest regards
Jerzy

Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
German to Romanian
+ ...
If I brought up the subject .... :) I prefer Cologne Nov 29, 2004

I have attended several powwows in Germany, so I feel more comfortable, as I already "know my way around".

Maybe another thing to consider would be the language spoken in the country.
German is in the combination of many ProZians, which means that it will be easier for them to handle everyday situations off event (hotel, restaurants, etc.).

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
OK, Cologne 1 point Nov 29, 2004

but:
English is widely spoken in Poland and the whole could be cheaper...

Cheers
Jerzy

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What I learned in Oxford

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »