Germany
Local time: 21:59
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Hotel reservation Sep 1, 2005

IMPORTANT INFORAMTION

I just called Hotel System in Cracow.
For all of you, who emailed the hotel and asked for reservation - your emails have reached the hotel and will all be answered in the nearest future. The assistant couldn´t tell me exactly when, because as she said "September is a very busy month in Cracow", but we shall be patient and wait a bit.

Therefore may I suggest to wait at least until the e
... See more
IMPORTANT INFORAMTION

I just called Hotel System in Cracow.
For all of you, who emailed the hotel and asked for reservation - your emails have reached the hotel and will all be answered in the nearest future. The assistant couldn´t tell me exactly when, because as she said "September is a very busy month in Cracow", but we shall be patient and wait a bit.

Therefore may I suggest to wait at least until the end of next week?
If you don´t get any notification by then please either post here or in a separate thread I´m opening right now or contact me directly via my profile.

Thank you
Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Rafal Piotrowski
Rafal Piotrowski  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:59
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Yiddish and the like Sep 1, 2005

Dear Tuli,

The Jewish community in Cracow, like in the rest of Poland, is rather scarce; AFAIK, the Jewish Religious Community has only several hudred members (ca. 150 registered members, as of 2001), though, naturally, not every Cracow Jew is obliged to join the organisation

Most (or quite a fraction) of Jews in Cracow speak only Polish, only saying their prayers in Hebrew, without using the latter
... See more
Dear Tuli,

The Jewish community in Cracow, like in the rest of Poland, is rather scarce; AFAIK, the Jewish Religious Community has only several hudred members (ca. 150 registered members, as of 2001), though, naturally, not every Cracow Jew is obliged to join the organisation

Most (or quite a fraction) of Jews in Cracow speak only Polish, only saying their prayers in Hebrew, without using the latter language on an everyday basis. As for Yiddish: you should know that this language used to be widely spoken before WWII by Central European Jews, whereas the Sephardi (those inhabiting the West of Europe, especially Spain and Portugal, and whose rituals also vary from those followed by the Ashkenazi) would at that time use Ladino, a lingo based on Spanish. Only after the foundation of the State of Israel, it was officially decided that Hebrew should be restored, which was duly done, and now we are facing the third generation of those whose mother tongue is Modern Hebrew. (an interesting fact from history: the first sessions of the Knesset, the Israeli Parliament, were conducted in... Polish).

Thus, it would be rather dififcult to find a speaker of Yiddish in Krakow, though we should not exclude the possibility that some may have retained the ability to speak the language. When you have time to loiter around the charming streets of Kazimierz (which is not actually a shtetl, but simply a district of Krakow, being a separate Jewish settlement/quarter in the Middle Ages, later absorbed by the growing capital), try to visit one of its synagogues, or the Center for Jewish culture (http://www.judaica.pl/), where you'll be able to find much more data of your interest.

If you wish, you may also contact our much-valued Proz peer and a good friend of mine, Kris Nowicki, who will be able to tell you much more, as he is Jewish himself, and whom I cannot wait to see at the conference, if he finds time.

Best - R.P.

P.S. You may also find some info by clicking on the links on Krakow that I have quoted above.

Rafal
Collapse

avantix
avantix  Identity Verified
Netherlands
German to Dutch
+ ...
In memoriam
24 hours or 14 days? Sep 2, 2005

Hi Rebecca,
You must be a lucky bird with your 24 hours! I've also filled in the special ProZ reservation form and after sending I received a message that I'll be contacted "within 14 days". This is even worse than the Russian HRS-systems!
Herman

Rebekka Gross wrote:

Hi,

This is probably the wrong forum but I'm not sure where else to ask this question

I went to the Hotel System web site to book a room for the conference and after filling in all the details got a message that I'd be contacted by a member of staff within 24 hours. When I didn't here from them, I sent an e-mail to the reservations e-mail address. That was yesterday morning. Still nothing. So I don't know if they have reserved the room I requested, whether I have to pay in advance or make a deposit or pay the whole amount on check-out.

Has anyone else had the same problem or was anyone more successful in making their booking?

Regards,

Rebekka

[Edited at 2005-09-01 08:58]

Yuri Smirnov
Yuri Smirnov  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:59
English to Belarusian
+ ...
What on earth is this? Sep 2, 2005

avantix wrote:

Hi Rebecca,
You must be a lucky bird with your 24 hours! I've also filled in the special ProZ reservation form and after sending I received a message that I'll be contacted "within 14 days". This is even worse than the Russian HRS-systems!

Sorry, what are the HRS-systems?

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Relax... Sep 2, 2005

Hi All,
I was contacted by the hotel yesterday and they confirmed that they do receive all bookings and will be sending confirmations within next days. The delay is actually related to the fact that they update their systems because of the opening of one more hotel.
I was assured that all bookings are processed correctly and they guarantee rooms availability and confirmation to each individual

Since there is still 3 months to go, please be patient. I am monitoring it.... See more
Hi All,
I was contacted by the hotel yesterday and they confirmed that they do receive all bookings and will be sending confirmations within next days. The delay is actually related to the fact that they update their systems because of the opening of one more hotel.
I was assured that all bookings are processed correctly and they guarantee rooms availability and confirmation to each individual

Since there is still 3 months to go, please be patient. I am monitoring it.

BTW, it seems that more then 30 rooms are already taken - good to see growing number of participants!

Best,
Magda
Collapse

avantix
avantix  Identity Verified
Netherlands
German to Dutch
+ ...
In memoriam
HRS Sep 2, 2005

Yuri Smirnov wrote:

avantix wrote:

Hi Rebecca,

Sorry, what are the HRS-systems?

Hello Yuri. It's nothing special, I just meant Hotel Reservation Systems >

Daniela Zambrini
Daniela Zambrini  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
flights from Rome (Fiumicino) and Milan (Malpensa) Sep 3, 2005

In case you need some info for flights from Italy (Alitalia)

direct flights from Milano Malpensa (MXP) to Cracovia
dep. 24/11 ret. 27/11 fare 139 euro + 84.23 tax (boarding tax, fuel surcharge, security tax..bla bla.. )

or from Roma Fiumicino (FCO) to Cracovia via Malpensa
same dates > 129 euro + 103.71 tax

ticket to be bought within 7 days from reservation date, no change no refu
... See more
In case you need some info for flights from Italy (Alitalia)

direct flights from Milano Malpensa (MXP) to Cracovia
dep. 24/11 ret. 27/11 fare 139 euro + 84.23 tax (boarding tax, fuel surcharge, security tax..bla bla.. )

or from Roma Fiumicino (FCO) to Cracovia via Malpensa
same dates > 129 euro + 103.71 tax

ticket to be bought within 7 days from reservation date, no change no refund (minimum stay rule: one night between sat and sun)

seats and rate still available but limited to a certain amount of seats per flight, so the early bird is the wise one here

www.alitalia.it www.alitalia.com

I'm thinking about attending the conference, I'll be deciding in the next couple of days, Ciao DZ
Collapse

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
For those on a tight budget... Sep 5, 2005

... I can spare a room. There is a small problem however: my place is monster-infested, a monster being my wife's 25 kg mongrel (quite similar to a Belgian Shepherd). Its fur is averywhere, so wearing black clothes is not a viable proposition.

There is also a wonderful, 12-years old girl, a bit absent-in-soul 15-years old boy (he prefers not to leave his room and his computer game in particular), my wife and me.

Contact me via e-mail if you are interested.

Ines R.
Ines R.
Spain
Spanish to German
+ ...
flights from Girona /Spain to Poland www.wizzair.com Sep 7, 2005

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

There are direct flights from Chicago to Cracow, offered by the polish airline LOT www.lot.com. ThMy recent querry brought me to a rate of approximatls 700 US $ for a flight in November.
The other idea would be to fly to London and then book a connecting flight www.easyjet.com for London Luton, www.centralwings.com or www.britishairways.com for London Gatwick or www.skyeurope.com for London Stansted.

Other connections to Cracow outside of Europe may be foud on the homepage of the airport in Balice (link allready mntioned above).

Before you go to your travel agent for quite, first check, which airport in Europe, convenient for you, is connected with Cracow or Katowice via a low cost carrier. This could save you a lot of money. But I mean London or perhaps Berlin or Amsterdam could be the most interesting of them.

Regards
Jerzy

PS
If you have specific questions about travelling to Cracow or comming around there, please post them here - we can try to adress them here as a way to inform other members too.

Dan Marasescu
Dan Marasescu  Identity Verified
Romania
Member (2003)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Accomodation thread? Sep 8, 2005

Hi Magda,

I am very interested in finding out more about accomodation opportunities in Krakow. As I noticed that I'm not the only one, maybe we can start a new thread just for that. What do you think?

Best,
Dan

Tania Martins
Tania Martins
Portugal
German to Portuguese
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Who is going from Portugal? Sep 8, 2005

Hi,

I'd really love to attend the conference, I'm still looking for flights and planning my work here, so I would like to know if there is somebody from Portugal who is also attending.

I hope to meet you all there...

Tania Vieira

Rebekka Groß (X)
Rebekka Groß (X)  Identity Verified
English to German
Hotel booking confirmed but I have more questions Sep 13, 2005

Hi,

I've now received an email confirming my reservation of a room at the Hotel System, which also contains further information, i.e. times for check-in and check-out etc.

The email further states:
'Cancelation is required by 3 days before scheduledy arrival.

In case of no - show credit card serving as guarantee will be charged with one night room rate.'

Only, I never had the opportunity to leave a credit card number when booking the roo
... See more
Hi,

I've now received an email confirming my reservation of a room at the Hotel System, which also contains further information, i.e. times for check-in and check-out etc.

The email further states:
'Cancelation is required by 3 days before scheduledy arrival.

In case of no - show credit card serving as guarantee will be charged with one night room rate.'

Only, I never had the opportunity to leave a credit card number when booking the room. Magda, do you know anything about this, or could you find out?

Thanks very much,

Rebekka
Collapse

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Will find out Sep 13, 2005

Rebekka Gross wrote:

Only, I never had the opportunity to leave a credit card number when booking the room. Magda, do you know anything about this, or could you find out?

Hi Rebekka,
It sound to me as standard booking clause, but indeed it's strange that they didn't take your credit card number. I will check with hotel and post here, OK?

Magda

lim0nka
lim0nka  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
the answer I've got Sep 13, 2005

Rebekka Gross wrote:

Hi,

The room will be kept for you until 6.00 p.m. In case you want it to be a guaranteed reservation, you just need to give them your credit card no.

HTH,
Anetta

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ProZ.com Conference Krakow 2005: TRAVEL INFO

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »