Thread poster: Magda Dziadosz
USER00230 (X)
USER00230 (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:13
German to English
Conference hotel internet connection Nov 4, 2005

Jerzy/Magda

Sorry for such a niggly question and please don't rush to answer as I'm sure you have 10,000 other things to sort out.

Just wondering, the conference hotel offers free internet (which is very useful). I was just wondering what sort of connection you need. Is it wi-fi or a WLAN and if so, can it be picked up with the normal 802.11 wifi card (the normal dell card, not sure if I've got the right code). If you need a plug, what sort of connection is it? I
... See more
Jerzy/Magda

Sorry for such a niggly question and please don't rush to answer as I'm sure you have 10,000 other things to sort out.

Just wondering, the conference hotel offers free internet (which is very useful). I was just wondering what sort of connection you need. Is it wi-fi or a WLAN and if so, can it be picked up with the normal 802.11 wifi card (the normal dell card, not sure if I've got the right code). If you need a plug, what sort of connection is it? I'd hate to arrive and found I had the wrong plug.

ps on plugs, I take it Poland uses the same 2-pin plugs as most of Europe, rather than our British 3-pins.
Collapse

Ines Burrell
Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
European plugs Nov 4, 2005

Yes, the plugs are European - two sticks instead of three. There are plenty of addapters available, if you haven't got any (Boots has them, I know for sure).
As to Internet connection - I was also thinking of posting the same question.

Cheers,
Burrell

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:13
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
LAN Internet connection Nov 4, 2005

and network cables are available at the reception.
No wireless Interent connection as for now.
For anyone who does not have his own notebook there are three PCs in the lobby, which can be used for free.

The polish plug systems may slightly differ from the european standard wit two pins and outer earth connector, as there are sockets in Poland with one single earth pin.
It looks like that ... See more
For anyone who does not have his own notebook there are three PCs in the lobby, which can be used for free.

The polish plug systems may slightly differ from the european standard wit two pins and outer earth connector, as there are sockets in Poland with one single earth pin.
It looks like that .

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Wouter van Kampen
Wouter van Kampen
Thailand
Local time: 06:13
Danish to Dutch
+ ...
flat plug ok Nov 4, 2005

That's the electrical socket also used in Belgium. When you use a plug for double isolated equipment (like for your laptop adapter) you should be fine.

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
--snip--

It looks like that .

Regards
Jerzy

Ines Burrell
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Any ideas for UK plug addapters? Nov 4, 2005

I have been in Poland several times and have never seen the plugs you describe.

What would be suggestions for laptop owners from the UK? I do not have a flat plug, for example, and all I can get is a normal continental adapter. Do we need adapters from continental to Polish system? Where can we get them?

Cheers,
Burrell

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You must have met the plug I describe Nov 4, 2005

but not registered it, as your adapter has fitted
Usually the continental adapter has a hole for that pin.

If it looks like that

or that

(
... See more
but not registered it, as your adapter has fitted
Usually the continental adapter has a hole for that pin.

If it looks like that

or that

(found here), than it should fit.
Or you go directly for this

There is ONE single adapter at the hotel, and the sockets are as shown above, with the grounding pin.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Italian to English
Flying from Stansted? Nov 13, 2005

Anyone else taking the 17-50 Ryanair flight from Stansted on Thursday 24th and would like to share a taxi to the Hotel System?

Thanks for the replies Burrell and Herminia. I've sent direct e-mails re. meeting up. I think that makes a taxi-full.

[Edited at 2005-11-15 20:36]

Ines Burrell
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Ryanair 17.50 Nov 13, 2005

Russell Jones wrote:

Anyone else taking the 17-50 Ryanair flight from Stansted on Thursday 24th and would like to share a taxi to the Hotel System?

I am catching this flight so you can count me in. Any ideas how to find each other?

Herminia Castro
Herminia Castro
Portugal
English to Portuguese
17h50 Ryanair from Stansted Nov 15, 2005

Hi!

I am also taking this flight and it would be great to share a taxi on arrival.

How about arranging a meeting point e.g. in Stansted, before the flight? (I guess that might be easier than at the Krakow airport - where I, at least, have never been!)

[Edited at 2005-11-15 20:15]

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 02:13
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Adapter for UK standard Nov 15, 2005

I suggest you buy that UK- European adapter in England- in UK they are a pound or two, while (I was short of one and couldn't find one locally) a colleague visiting me from Germany on my request brought me one from there. It was EUR 20...

Uldis

Ines Burrell
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
UK-European adapters Nov 15, 2005

Uldis Liepkalns wrote:

I suggest you buy that UK- European adapter in England- in UK they are a pound or two, while (I was short of one and couldn't find one locally) a colleague visiting me from Germany on my request brought me one from there. It was EUR 20...

Uldis

Yes, I have already done that. I had some at home but they did not have the hole necessary for Poland. So I got it from Internet for almost pound or two - for three.

Cheers

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Also remember it's 220V here Nov 16, 2005

If your equipments uses 110V (this is probably the case if you fly from the US), you need a more advanced converter than ones described above.

[Edited at 2005-11-16 19:20]

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
May I correct a little? Nov 16, 2005

These are not 220 V, but 230 V, as in the other EU-countries at least from the western side.
Nevertheless, if your equipment is not specified for this voltage (most of notebooks are), you will need a volatge adapter too.

Regards
Jerzy

Pernille Chapman
Pernille Chapman  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Danish
+ ...
Anyone flying from Glasgow Prestwick? Nov 16, 2005

Taxi-sharing is a great idea, Russell. I wonder if anyone else is leaving from Prestwick at this unearthly hour (6.55 a.m.!) on the 24th? If so, would you like to share a taxi to the Hotel System?

George Amolochitis
George Amolochitis  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 02:13
Member (2005)
English to Greek
+ ...
Internet connection in Systems Hotel Nov 16, 2005

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

It looks like that .

Regards
Jerzy

Hi Jerzy,

Therefore, we need a dial-up connection, only. I presume we can find the correct adaptor in the reception. Here, in Greece we are using 'Shuko" 220 Volt/50 Hz sockets.

Best regards,

George

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ProZ.com Conference Krakow 2005: TRAVEL INFO

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »