Seminar: The Language of Forensic Experts
Thread poster: Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:15
English to Spanish
Apr 4, 2006

The United States District Court for the District of Puerto Rico, together with The Mirta Vidal-Orrantia Interpreting and Translating Institute (MVOITI), is sponsoring a 1-day advanced seminar for professional interpreters and translators titled The Language of Forensic Experts. The seminar will be held on Friday, April 21, 2006 from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. at the Clemente Ruiz Nazario U.S. Courthouse, 150 Chardon Avenue, Hato Rey, Puerto Rico. This event also marks the second anniversaty of The ... See more
The United States District Court for the District of Puerto Rico, together with The Mirta Vidal-Orrantia Interpreting and Translating Institute (MVOITI), is sponsoring a 1-day advanced seminar for professional interpreters and translators titled The Language of Forensic Experts. The seminar will be held on Friday, April 21, 2006 from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. at the Clemente Ruiz Nazario U.S. Courthouse, 150 Chardon Avenue, Hato Rey, Puerto Rico. This event also marks the second anniversaty of The Mirta Vidal-Orrantia Interpreting and Translating Institute.

The seminar will include speakers from ATF, DEA, IRS, ICE, and the Puerto Rico Crime Lab, who will address topics such as chemical terms and street slang for drugs, financial and cyber-crimes, fire arms, explosives and ballistics terminology, crime scene processing and much more.

The seminar will be in English and Spanish, open to professional interpreters and translators as well as translation and interpreting students, and free of charge. To register go to http://www.prd.uscourts.gov/InterpreterSeminar.

--
Janis Palma, USCCI, NCJIT-S
Executive Director
The Mirta Vidal-Orrantia
Interpreting and Translating
Institute
P.O. Box 79303
Carolina, PR 00984
Collapse

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 09:15
English to Spanish
+ ...
On premises? Apr 4, 2006

Does it have to be attended in person or can it be online? I checked the page but it does not say. It looks interesting.
Do you know?

Thanks.

Luisa Ramos, CT
United States
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
On premises Apr 4, 2006

Yes, on premises. It is free though. There is an excellent group of judiciary interpreters in Puerto Rico, and Janis Palma is doing a tremendous job preparing new ones. You may visit their site at http://www.orgsites.com/ny/mvoiti/ or write to her at [email protected]

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 09:15
English to Spanish
+ ...
Too bad Apr 5, 2006

Dear Luisa,

Thanks for answering. I was afraid so. Unfortunately, it`s a long way up, too expensive to afford getting there right now.

Thanks for the information, though.

Best wishes,

Walter.

Luisa Ramos, CT
United States
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
I know the feeling Apr 5, 2006

Walter, believe me, I know the feeling. It is the same overhere when I see so many interesting translation events taking place in Buenos Aires, and I wish at least some of them could be taken online.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Seminar: The Language of Forensic Experts

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »