SFT: 3e Université d'été de la traduction financière/3rd Summer Seminar for Financial Translators
Thread poster: RobinB
RobinB
RobinB  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:51
German to English
Apr 28, 2006

The SFT has just posted the preliminary announcement for its 3rd U. d'été/Summar Seminar on financial translation, which will be held this year in Paris on July 10 to 12. Places are limited (100).

The previous events in La Rochelle (2002) and La Baule (2004) were very well attended and extremely successful, giving translators and interpreters an outstanding opportunity to listen to and engage with both very experienced colleagues and subject area experts.

Details (in
... See more
The SFT has just posted the preliminary announcement for its 3rd U. d'été/Summar Seminar on financial translation, which will be held this year in Paris on July 10 to 12. Places are limited (100).

The previous events in La Rochelle (2002) and La Baule (2004) were very well attended and extremely successful, giving translators and interpreters an outstanding opportunity to listen to and engage with both very experienced colleagues and subject area experts.

Details (in French and English) at:

http://www.sft.fr/formations/index.asp

[Edited at 2006-04-28 11:27]
Collapse

Sara Freitas
Sara Freitas
France
Local time: 16:51
French to English
Thanks, Robin. Apr 28, 2006

And I just love that as a paying member of the SFT I had to hear about the event here first.

Unless I missed something...

Please tell me I did!

Sara

RobinB
United States
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Live today Apr 28, 2006

Hi Sara,

It just went live on the SFT website today, so I don't think you missed anything - ruthlessly efficient though Chris is, I don't think it's humanly possible to notify all SFT members so quickly. Nowadays, this sort of announcement tends to appear on association websites before it finds its way into the next member (e-)newsletter. It was also posted on the Financial Translators" Yahoo group today (aren't you a member?).

Robin

Sara Freitas
Sara Freitas
France
French to English
Wow, you are fast! Apr 28, 2006

Thanks for the info, Robin. Maybe the SFT will send out an e-mail notifying members? I don't tend to check the training page of their Web site more than a couple times a month.

I don't belong to the financial translators' Yahoo group, but I will join.

In fact, I don't currently do financial translations, but 2006 is my year to start learning the field so that I can offer that skill.

Thanks again for the tips! And I look forward to meeting you at the summer
... See more
Thanks for the info, Robin. Maybe the SFT will send out an e-mail notifying members? I don't tend to check the training page of their Web site more than a couple times a month.

I don't belong to the financial translators' Yahoo group, but I will join.

In fact, I don't currently do financial translations, but 2006 is my year to start learning the field so that I can offer that skill.

Thanks again for the tips! And I look forward to meeting you at the summer university.

I just sent an e-mail to the SFT requesting info on FIP-PL funding before I send in my registratin and check. They used to take ages to respond to e-mails, but I have heard that that has been improved significantly.

Sara

[Edited at 2006-04-28 12:10]

[Edited at 2006-04-28 12:11]
Collapse

RobinB
United States
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
You gotta be quick these days :-) Apr 28, 2006

Sara Freitas-Maltaverne wrote:I don't belong to the financial translators' Yahoo group, but I will join.

Particularly recommended for Fr-En-Fr translators.
http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/financialtranslators/

I wish you luck. It's not at all an easy field (though so many translators claim to offer financial translations without knowing the first thing about finance, with correspondingly dire results), but very lucrative once you've acquired sufficient expertise.

And I look forward to meeting you at the summer university.

Likewise!

Robin

Sara Freitas
Sara Freitas
France
French to English
Just put in my request to join the Yahoo group... Apr 28, 2006

...that's one thing that I can now cross off my to-do list thanks to Robin

And I fully appreciate the difficulty of the field. I am very interested in personal finance and have good knowledge of retail banking products, but corporate/institutional finance is way out of my comfort zone.

I have always refused to take on finance-related translations, even when good customers have insisted.

... See more
...that's one thing that I can now cross off my to-do list thanks to Robin

And I fully appreciate the difficulty of the field. I am very interested in personal finance and have good knowledge of retail banking products, but corporate/institutional finance is way out of my comfort zone.

I have always refused to take on finance-related translations, even when good customers have insisted.

2006 is my year to start seeking some formal training and increase my exposure to the field so that I can add it to my skill set in the coming years.

See you in Paree!

Sara
Collapse

ChrisDurba
ChrisDurba
French to English
Earlybird reg for fin'l trad conf in Paris (July 10-12) extended May 24, 2006

For those who forgot (!) to sign up in time to benefit from the earlybird price, the date has just been pushed back to May 30. For full information (incl. program) visit the SFT site at www.sft.fr ("formations").
The conference will take place at the Ministère des affaires étrangères in ave. Kléber (near Etoile).
Important factoid: for freelance translators working legally in France, your €45-a-year
... See more
For those who forgot (!) to sign up in time to benefit from the earlybird price, the date has just been pushed back to May 30. For full information (incl. program) visit the SFT site at www.sft.fr ("formations").
The conference will take place at the Ministère des affaires étrangères in ave. Kléber (near Etoile).
Important factoid: for freelance translators working legally in France, your €45-a-year compulsory payment into the FIF-PL kitty entitles you to apply for reimbursement of the registration fee. This is a true windfall, since you can claim back up to €750 a year in training expense. Let me restate that: this conf is thus *free* pour un peu que vous remplissiez les formulaires. For more info contact the SFT secretariat.
OK, there is no 100% guarantee, but to date nobody who has applied to FIFPL for funding has ever been refused.
KR
Chris Durban ([email protected])

(PS: impatient and/or disgruntled SFT members -- you will have received notice of this and other events by email now, right?
For the rest of youse: see the SFT site ("formations"). An intriguing full day on writing and revising with some prestigious presenters on June 10, not to mention an early-evening presentation on Henry Darcy by his translator Patricia Bobeck (ATA Berger Prize) on June 6. Free, but you gotta sign up. See the SFT website.
Collapse

Sara Freitas
Sara Freitas
France
French to English
Not impatient or disgruntled....just wondering about a few things... May 28, 2006

Hi Chris and thanks for responding.

I did in fact receive e-mail notification of this and other upcoming events. Much appreciated!

However, my e-mail to the SFT secretariat concerning the FIF-PL procedure has gone without a reponse for almost a month now. I think that's a bit long to wait for an e-mail response.

Also, for non-Paris-dwellers, I was wondering if there was a recommended hotel or one with which the SFT had negotiated a special rate for the even
... See more
Hi Chris and thanks for responding.

I did in fact receive e-mail notification of this and other upcoming events. Much appreciated!

However, my e-mail to the SFT secretariat concerning the FIF-PL procedure has gone without a reponse for almost a month now. I think that's a bit long to wait for an e-mail response.

Also, for non-Paris-dwellers, I was wondering if there was a recommended hotel or one with which the SFT had negotiated a special rate for the event. Also wondering about the daily schedule in order to purchase train tickets that will get me there in time for the start and home after the final presentation.

This information all seems fairly obvious to me for any kind of professional event. Is it posted on the SFT site somewhere that I may have missed?

Also, can you tell me how I can get the information regarding the FIF-PL reimbursement process?

Thanks again and see you in Paris.

Sara

[Edited at 2006-05-28 08:24]
Collapse

ChrisDurba
ChrisDurba
French to English
Registering for financial transl conf in Paris (10-12 July 2006) May 28, 2006

Thanks for alerting me to your response, Sara (you're right, I am not a daily visitor to Proz, especially not at this season of the year).

A couple of points:
- could you please send me a copy of your email sent a month ago so that I can check it out with our (new) secretariat? There were some glitches during the changeover but they should be ironed out now; if the process is still not working, I want to know. But to see who goofed with the unanswered msg I have to have a co
... See more
Thanks for alerting me to your response, Sara (you're right, I am not a daily visitor to Proz, especially not at this season of the year).

A couple of points:
- could you please send me a copy of your email sent a month ago so that I can check it out with our (new) secretariat? There were some glitches during the changeover but they should be ironed out now; if the process is still not working, I want to know. But to see who goofed with the unanswered msg I have to have a copy.
- there is no "conference hotel" in that the event is being hosted by the Ministère des affaires étrangères (in ave. Kléber). That said, the secretariat will send you a list of hotels in surrounding arrondissements on request (note correct address : [email protected]). Actually, the public transport system in Paris is good enough that you can stay almost anywhere (but check metro lines for direct service even so).
- the daily schedule is indicated on the registration form on the SFT website (starts 9 am, ends 4.30 pm, although it generally runs up to half an hour over what with Q&A).
- in general, reimbursement through FIF-PL is far far simpler than most translators imagine (I'm always astounded at the number who simply fail to cash in).
You can get basic info by simply clicking on the FIF-PL link on registration forms for qualifying SFT courses (FIF-PL only kicks in for 6 hours+, so the half-day courses don't count). For the financial translation seminar a special convention collective has been negotiated, however; Jean Sébastien Frank is the secretariat person who can help you here. I'll ask him to contact you on Monday.
Look forward to seeing you in July.
best
Chris
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SFT: 3e Université d'été de la traduction financière/3rd Summer Seminar for Financial Translators

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »