Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >
Trados Training in Edinburgh (after the Conference) on Sunday, November 12, 2006
Thread poster: Jerzy Czopik
Igor Uszczapowski M.Sc. (Oxon.)
Igor Uszczapowski M.Sc. (Oxon.)  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:02
German to English
+ ...
Experienced Beginner Aug 23, 2006

Hi Jerzy,

I am quite conversant with Trados so far as straight-forward Word-text goes, using the requisite functions almost on a daily basis. That makes me a beginner (to low-level intermediate) for most of the issues that you are going to lecture on in Edinburgh.

I shall spell out my needs more fully in further contributions to this forum.

Kind regards,

Igor

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much Aug 23, 2006

Slowly things are getting clearer.

Don´t worry, you´ll get a handout with the most important information. I only cannot promise, that you will get a full manual for Trados with bells & whistles, as I probably won´t have time to write such one.

Regards
Jerzy

Monique Simmer
Monique Simmer  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
Beginner and advanced users Aug 23, 2006

Hi Jerzy,

My partner Kevin Lossner and I have both registered for your Trados course - I am a relative beginner, and Kevin is quite well-versed but is very interested in your offerings on using Trados with Quark, etc. Looking forward to meeting you in Edinburgh!

Best regards,
Monique and Kevin

Angeles Castelo
Angeles Castelo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:02
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Another beginner here Aug 24, 2006

Hi, I have registered for the course as well.

I am a complete beginner. I will see if I can buy the program before November and fiddle with it.

I don't think I even understand the full potential of the application at this point but I will try to do my homework berore we meet!

Per Magnus
Per Magnus  Identity Verified
English to Norwegian
Intermediate is registered Aug 24, 2006

Thank you Jerzy

For providing this session.

Regards,
Per Magnus

Laure Delpech
Laure Delpech  Identity Verified
France
Member (2004)
English to French
Intermediate Aug 24, 2006

Hi Jerzy,

I have registered today.

Although I have been using Workbench and Tageditor for many years, I have taught myself how to use them and I would be happy to go back to basics before moving on to more advanced stuff.

I have never used Multiterm and would be grateful for a walkthrough.

Best regards,
Laure

Per Magnus
Per Magnus  Identity Verified
English to Norwegian
Items for discussion. Sep 3, 2006

Hello Jerzy,

I am looking forward to seeing the program for the Trados-session. If you want some input, here are some items that I have encountered.

- How can I use several different target segments in a practical way (Different customers have different requests).

- Why does Trados change the formatting, and what can I do to prevent it.

- What kind of documents does Trados have a tendency to ruin? I have for instance translated files with diff
... See more
Hello Jerzy,

I am looking forward to seeing the program for the Trados-session. If you want some input, here are some items that I have encountered.

- How can I use several different target segments in a practical way (Different customers have different requests).

- Why does Trados change the formatting, and what can I do to prevent it.

- What kind of documents does Trados have a tendency to ruin? I have for instance translated files with different headers and documents with both portrait and landscape in the same document in Tageditor and after cleaning the resulting file made Word crash.

- Is it possible to repair a file that Trados has wrecked when using Tageditor? When the translation is done in Word, I only have to delete all hidden text (it is to bad if there was some hidden text you wanted to keep, of course).

- Should I use one large TM, one for each customer or one for each subject (economy, technical, legal etc)?

- How should I handle translation of files that are supported by Trados, but which I don’t have myself? QuarkXpress, FrameMaker etc. Are there any viewing programs so I don’t have to proofread small portions of text hidden among a lot of tags?

- Trados plug-ins/predefined tag-settings, for instance for html, xml etc. Is there anything I should do with them, or just use the defaults?

- Maintenance; is it easier to live with the errors and correct them next time you use the segment, than to use Trados Maintenance. What about segments that Trados actually use, but you cannot find in Maintenance.

- What difference does Unicode do? Since I am from Norway I am, of course, mostly concerned about the Scandinavian characters æ, ø and å. I have for instance problems including them when I import terms to Multiterm.

Kind regards,
Per Magnus
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for all those questions Sep 3, 2006

We shall stick to them - as the fields covered match very well with what I already wanted to show.

Regards
Jerzy

Gillian Scheibelein
Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
just registered Sep 9, 2006

Hi Jerzy,

I have just registered for the conference and your course - a very good idea. As you know ( ) I am a Transit fan. Nevertheless, I do have Trados and want to learn to use it more efficiently when required (especially Tag Editor). I would rate myself an advanced beginner.

Cheers,
Jill

Christine Matschke
Christine Matschke  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
English to German
just registered Sep 9, 2006

Hi Jerzy,

I have just registered for the conference and your course. I wish to be in the same group as jill (G. Scheibelein), which has already registered, because we are girl friends and then I feel sure that I understand all things. I have never worked with TRADOS. I am working with MetaTexis since 2 months. So I have little knowledges.
Nevertheless, I am very expectant about this course.

greetings

Christine

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank your for registering Sep 9, 2006

We shall try to build the groups according to your needs.
The main aim of my idea of building groups is to have at least one advanced/intermediate user in each group.
I shall try to explain and show everything, so I will also tell about the shortcuts to use or about the paths and so on...
But I´m quite sure the paths will vary much from PC to PC, so instead of running to each of you and looking where something should be hidden, what would cost us to much time, I hope you can e
... See more
We shall try to build the groups according to your needs.
The main aim of my idea of building groups is to have at least one advanced/intermediate user in each group.
I shall try to explain and show everything, so I will also tell about the shortcuts to use or about the paths and so on...
But I´m quite sure the paths will vary much from PC to PC, so instead of running to each of you and looking where something should be hidden, what would cost us to much time, I hope you can easily look at your neighbours PC and see what is meand.
We have still two months to go, so I think we shall decide about the groups shortly before the event.

Please be also patient, that I cannot present yet the detailed program. Due to huge workload at the moment I have only some drafts and am working on the details.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Henry Jansen, Ph.D.
Henry Jansen, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English
+ ...
Possibility of partner participating in Trados course? Sep 12, 2006

Dear Jerzy,

Hi! My husband, Henry Jansen, has already registered for the conference in Edinburg as well as for the Trados course. Although I am not a member of ProZ (my husband is), I was wondering about the possibility of being allowed to participate in the Trados course as well.

As I am about to make travel arrangments, it would be nice to know. I would, of course, be prepared to pay the £80 fee for the Trados course.

Henry has had some experience with
... See more
Dear Jerzy,

Hi! My husband, Henry Jansen, has already registered for the conference in Edinburg as well as for the Trados course. Although I am not a member of ProZ (my husband is), I was wondering about the possibility of being allowed to participate in the Trados course as well.

As I am about to make travel arrangments, it would be nice to know. I would, of course, be prepared to pay the £80 fee for the Trados course.

Henry has had some experience with Trados, but we are both very interested in becoming more adept with the program. We have a laptop at our disposal.

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Lucy Jansen
The Netherlands
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Of course yes Sep 12, 2006

You just need to register with ProZ for free,
Then you´ll be able to register for the training.
You do not necessarilly need to be registered both for the Conference and the Trados seminar, although the Conference seems to be an event, which one should not miss.

Regards
Jerzy

Henry Jansen, Ph.D.
Henry Jansen, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English
+ ...
How? Sep 12, 2006

Sorry, but could you explain how I can register with ProZ for free? All I can find on the site are registrations that require payment of some sort. I would very much like to attend the Trados seminars on Friday afternoon with my husband, but am not myself a full-time translator and see no need to register with ProZ for the services it provides.

justin C
justin C
United States
Local time: 18:02
English
How to register a free account for yourself Sep 13, 2006

Hi Lucy,

The link to register for an account is http://www.proz.com/?sp=r , follow the steps and on the third step, you can choose which type of account you would like (paying or non-paying). Select the third option, which is the 'Limited guest account', this is our free account option.

Please note that you must be log out from your husband's account before you will be able to register
... See more
Hi Lucy,

The link to register for an account is http://www.proz.com/?sp=r , follow the steps and on the third step, you can choose which type of account you would like (paying or non-paying). Select the third option, which is the 'Limited guest account', this is our free account option.

Please note that you must be log out from your husband's account before you will be able to register for a new one for yourself.

Best regards,
Justin
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Training in Edinburgh (after the Conference) on Sunday, November 12, 2006

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »