EU Competition Brussels Feb/March 08
Thread poster: translationp (X)
translationp (X)
translationp (X)
Local time: 14:28
English to Italian
+ ...
Jan 30, 2008

Hi, is there anyone who's going to sit the computer test for the EU translators competition toward English in Brussels?
I'll try to sit the test in March and I'm wondering if someone among you will be there too:-)

Paola Dentifrigi
Paola Dentifrigi  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
What competition Jan 31, 2008

...is toward English?

Paola

translationp (X)
translationp (X)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
EU Competition Brussels Feb/March 08 Jan 31, 2008

Hi Paola, credo possa scrivere anche in italiano; si il concorso prevede traduzione verso l'inglese, purtroppo al momento di trad. per l'italiano non se ne parla:-(

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:28
Flemish to English
+ ...
Bisschofheimlaan 1030 Brussels Feb 6, 2008

Yep, for the 6th time at the address mentioned above.

Like with all exams, if you do not come very well prepared, you can forget it, because even if you passed, you risk get a letter like: Although you have passed the tests, you are not among the xxxx best placed candidates (usually the top 10) and as stated in the Publication of the competion for that reason you can not continue to the following round.
For anybody (translator, interpreter, other professions wanting to work fo
... See more
Yep, for the 6th time at the address mentioned above.

Like with all exams, if you do not come very well prepared, you can forget it, because even if you passed, you risk get a letter like: Although you have passed the tests, you are not among the xxxx best placed candidates (usually the top 10) and as stated in the Publication of the competion for that reason you can not continue to the following round.
For anybody (translator, interpreter, other professions wanting to work for the E.U.: nowadays, you have to pass preselection tests first. These tests are in English,French or German. Because the concours is for translations into [you translate into a language- verso =toward] English, cette fois-ci, les tests de préselection sont en français oder auf Deutsch.
Content: E.U.-knowledge, verbal reasoning, numerical reasoning (last 10 questions and believe me these last 10 make a difference). I don't think I will make it if I start now (:. A bit too late due to circumstances and lack of time. Average time to assimilate the content matter/practise that prep course: 2-3 months. Ah, next time better. BTW: which is the most Eastern Capital of the E.U.: Warsaw, Riga, Tallinn or Cyprus was one of those preselection ?. I think it is Cyprus.

[Edited at 2008-02-06 08:39]
Collapse

translationp (X)
translationp (X)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great!!! Feb 6, 2008

Hi, I see it's a bit annoying, but I think it doesn't matter if it's the first or the tenth time you try.
In Italy competitions are really hard to pass not only because of personal praparation, and thousands of people try to compete for 10 vacations.
That's why, maybe I think anyone should try, at least you are a not only a "loser" but a potential "winner" everytime, against probabilities.

I'll take the exam in the same centre. I hope I can come because I have to ask my
... See more
Hi, I see it's a bit annoying, but I think it doesn't matter if it's the first or the tenth time you try.
In Italy competitions are really hard to pass not only because of personal praparation, and thousands of people try to compete for 10 vacations.
That's why, maybe I think anyone should try, at least you are a not only a "loser" but a potential "winner" everytime, against probabilities.

I'll take the exam in the same centre. I hope I can come because I have to ask my employee a day off for competitions, which is regulated by our Law but I must wait for an answer. I also need a certification to justify my absence and I still have to write to Epso to know if it's possible to have the certificate the same day of the test.

However, at least I'll have a walk in Brussels (sine after having resigned from flight attendant I can't travel very much:-(

So in Italian we say something that sounds like..."irriducibili" "indomitable" maybe...
Collapse

Dominique Broady
Dominique Broady  Identity Verified
Netherlands
French to English
+ ...
In bocca al lupo! Feb 29, 2008

Good luck with the test! I'm taking the one for English translators, but in Luxembourg rather than Brussels.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

EU Competition Brussels Feb/March 08

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »