Thread poster: RobinB
RobinB
RobinB  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:31
German to English
Feb 20, 2008

(cross-posted from finanztrans)

Details have just been published for the German Financial Reporting Terminology Seminar at City University, London, on June 13/14.

http://www.city.ac.uk/languages/courses/Financial_Reporting.html

This will also include a review of the new IFRS terminology that is now starting to be used in FY 2008 (as w
... See more
(cross-posted from finanztrans)

Details have just been published for the German Financial Reporting Terminology Seminar at City University, London, on June 13/14.

http://www.city.ac.uk/languages/courses/Financial_Reporting.html

This will also include a review of the new IFRS terminology that is now starting to be used in FY 2008 (as well as the significant new terminology that will arrive in 2009), plus the effects of the BilMoG.
Collapse

Seamus Moran
Seamus Moran
Ireland
Local time: 07:31
German to English
+ ...
General question Feb 21, 2008

Would this course be useful for translators who would just like to improve their knowledge of financial terminology in general (German into English translators)?

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:31
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thanks Robin! Feb 21, 2008

Having had an inkling of this already I know it will be useful for anyone handling annual statements and management reports.

RobinB
United States
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Focus on financial accounting and reporting Feb 21, 2008

Seamus Moran wrote:
Would this course be useful for translators who would just like to improve their knowledge of financial terminology in general (German into English translators)?

The main focus is, naturally, on financial accounting and reporting as it exists in Germany - the horror! The horror!"

So it won't really touch on areas like banking, retail and corporate lending operations, financial markets (except for accounting for financial instruments, of course), insurance, etc.

However, as accounting is the basis for all business operations, I'm sure it would be useful for all translators, especially if they have anything to do with IR work, M&A, tax, etc.

It won't be an easy ride, though. Many colleagues who attend one of my courses seem to walk away at the end in some sort of shattered daze....

Robin

Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:31
German to English
The last one was really useful Feb 21, 2008

Hi Robin,
Will the Saturday include different material from last time?
Gillian

RobinB
United States
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Certainly new material Feb 21, 2008

Gillian Searl wrote:
Hi Robin,
Will the Saturday include different material from last time?
Gillian

Glad you found last year's one-day event useful. There will of course be some new material compared with last year's (IFRS-only) seminar. In addition to looking at the terminology of new standards (effective and upcoming), we'll also be looking in greater detail at areas like management, risk and remuneration reporting, ie at what you might call "German extensions to IFRSs" - the areas where German law supplements the IFRS requirements. These areas appear to cause quite considerable difficulties to preparers, far less translators, so I think it will be worthwhile if we analyse and discuss the relevant terminology and English translation options.

And of course if anybody who signs up for the course has suggestions about other areas to examine (on either day), I'm certainly willing to consider them (energy and time allowing).

HTH,
Robin

TonyTK
TonyTK
German to English
+ ...
Shattered? Feb 21, 2008

RobinB wrote:
It won't be an easy ride, though. Many colleagues who attend one of my courses seem to walk away at the end in some sort of shattered daze....
Robin

Oh, I don't know. It's was a few years ago now, but I don't STOP THE BUDGIE! STOP THE BUDGIE! think it affected me in that THE FOOT IS IN THE TREACLE way. I more or less took it in ARMPIT my stride.

Tony O'TK

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Sounds like a very useful course Feb 22, 2008

Wish there was online streaming or something - I think the exchange rate situation will keep me away from attending in person again this time. Those of you who are closer: definitely go!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

German Financial Reporting Terminology Seminar/London/June 2008

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »