https://www.proz.com/forum/lighter_side_of_trans_interp/100472-what_a_co_incidence_translated_doc_for_one_agency_got_it_back_for_proofing_from_another.html

Off topic: What a co-incidence! Translated doc for one agency, got it back for proofing from another
Thread poster: Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Local time: 13:09
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Mar 25, 2008

I translated a document for an Indian translation agency in the morning and I got it back from a US based agency in the evening for proofreading/editing. This sounds like an amazing and interesting co-incidence. I want to know whether such an incident has happened to you also?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-03-25 14:19]

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:39
English to Arabic
+ ...
You're the top English>Hindi translator on the Proz database Mar 25, 2008

( See more
( http://www.proz.com/directory/?pair_emphasis=8&mode=filter&from=eng&to=hin&pair_emphasis=8&type=na&field=&native=na&country=®ion_list=na&city_list=na&cred=na&software=na&sdl_trados_cert_level=na&sdlx_cert_level=na&avail=na&expertise=working&location=&keyword= )

Can that have anything to do with it? I'm not sure how these two agencies are cooperating together, but the coincidence may be explained by the fact that they both check the Proz freelancers database, and decided to contact the person on top of the list!
Collapse

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Also... Mar 25, 2008

I would wonder how much these agencies are charging the end client compared to what they are paying you. Seems like several middlemen are involved.

Jennifer Hejtmankova
Jennifer Hejtmankova  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 09:39
Member (2007)
Czech to English
+ ...
The question is... Mar 25, 2008

what did you do?

langclinic wrote:

I translated a document for an Indian translation agency in the morning and I got it back from a US based agency in the evening for proofreading/editing. This sounds like an amazing and interesting co-incidence. I want to know whether such an incident has happened to you also?

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
It's happened to me Mar 25, 2008

I was asked to check a backtranslation against the original English source. I told the second agency that I felt ethically obliged to turn the job down, because I was the one who'd (back)translated it.

Naturally, it was perfect

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
In the medical field, it's often the end client who uses two different agencies Mar 25, 2008

Henry Hinds wrote:

I would wonder how much these agencies are charging the end client compared to what they are paying you. Seems like several middlemen are involved.

In my experience pharma companies often use two different agencies - one for the translation, one for the revision/backtranslation, or simply use different agencies for different projects or whatever. Nothing to do with agencies sub-contracting to other agencies.

[Edited at 2008-03-25 13:54]

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 03:39
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Agree with MHH Mar 25, 2008

That's my experience too.

Nancy

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Me too Mar 25, 2008

But in a slightly different manner. I had submitted a translation to a local client in unicode format.

His/her end client directly contacted me via proz.com to get the Hindi text converted to a non-unicode font as the unicode version was not working well with his layout software.

In this case it was a legal document.

Gonul Aydemir
Gonul Aydemir
Türkiye
Local time: 10:39
Turkish to English
+ ...
May be the result of sub-contracting... Mar 25, 2008

Hello Langclinic,

In my opinion, the Indian company that sent you the job in the first place probably got the job from the US company (maybe even as a freelancer?), and then sent it to you (i.e. got the job for a rate higher than yours, and kept the amount remaining after your payment for themselves).

Of course, the US company unaware of all this, searched and found you on Proz, and decided to send the work to you for proofreading.

I believe that if the Ind
... See more
Hello Langclinic,

In my opinion, the Indian company that sent you the job in the first place probably got the job from the US company (maybe even as a freelancer?), and then sent it to you (i.e. got the job for a rate higher than yours, and kept the amount remaining after your payment for themselves).

Of course, the US company unaware of all this, searched and found you on Proz, and decided to send the work to you for proofreading.

I believe that if the Indian company that sent the job to you in the first place was a real professional company, they would have sent the job for proofreading themself to another translator, rather than the job returning to you through the agency of another company (in my opinion, the original outsourcer).

So that is probably what just happened (in my opinion of course!). However, I also agree with Marie-Helene, but sub-contracting is also very common!

Gonul

[Edited at 2008-03-25 16:23]
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:39
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Anyway, I guess that... Mar 25, 2008

... you probably got paid the same rate per word for:
a) translating for an agency in India, and
b) proofreading for an agency in the USA.

I often get (a)-type offers for (b)-type rates. Was it so?

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No, the jobs were not entrusted to me by... Mar 26, 2008

the new clients, who might have contacted me after visiting the database. Instead, I was assigned these jobs by the translation agencies for whom I am working for years now.

Nesrin wrote:

( http://www.proz.com/directory/?pair_emphasis=8&mode=filter&from=eng&to=hin&pair_emphasis=8&type=na&field=&native=na&country=��ion_list=na&city_list=na&cred=na&software=na&sdl_trados_cert_level=na&sdlx_cert_level=na&avail=na&expertise=working&location=&keyword= )

Can that have anything to do with it? I'm not sure how these two agencies are cooperating together, but the coincidence may be explained by the fact that they both check the Proz freelancers database, and decided to contact the person on top of the list!

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No, I don't think it was due to subcontracting. Mar 26, 2008

I guess this would have been the result of consciousness of the main agency to whom the job was entrusted by the end client. They assigned the job of translation to an Indian agency and having it back and they entrusted the proofreading to a different agency to ensure that the document is proofread and edited by a different person.

Gönül Taban Çolak wrote:

Hello Langclinic,

I believe that if the Indian company that sent the job to you in the first place was a real professional company, they would have sent the job for proofreading themself to another translator, rather than the job returning to you through the agency of another company (in my opinion, the original outsourcer).

So that is probably what just happened (in my opinion of course!). However, I also agree with Marie-Helene, but sub-contracting is also very common!

Gonul

[Edited at 2008-03-25 16:23]

NMR (X)
NMR (X)
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
It happened to me too Mar 28, 2008

It happened to me several times (small language pair). In all these cases the end client didn't trust the first agencies (even if they have a good reputation). I don't do medical or pharmaceutical, only general marketing texts. Total cost should have been about € 0.40 per word.

[Modifié le 2008-03-28 08:33]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What a co-incidence! Translated doc for one agency, got it back for proofing from another

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »