Off topic: Yet Another Hilarious Speech/Written Word Site
Thread poster: Katherine Zei
Today, I stumbled upon the nth humour site devoted to slips in the English language. It can be found here:
Among the notables are the Words Without Thought -- Bungling the English language segment and the The Language Barrier -- When learning English, sometimes being close is still very far away segment.
| | Palko Agi
Local time: 22:30
English to Hungarian
| | Katherine Zei
Local time: 15:30
Italian to English
| Sempre un piacere, mai un dovere! || May 13, 2003 |
Always a pleasure, never a chore!
| | Kvasir
Local time: 14:30
English to Chinese
| How to ask a stupid kudos question || May 15, 2003 |
What an entertaining site!
no doubt we get stupid kudos questions from time to time, usually from anonymous users.
Few ones (or variation thereof) i can recall:
- \"M\" context: \"the letter M\" (english-chinese)
- \"John Smith\" (or any name given in latin alphabets). context: \"how is my name spelt?\" (english-chinese)
- \"16\" context: \"length\" (english-french)
- (any words with multiple meanings) context: \"please help!!!!\" (english-any language)
- (any unfamiliar abbreviations) context: \"abbreviation\" (any language-any language) sure, let us do the guesswork!
- (any term) context: \"hi!\" or \"thank you all!\" (any language to any language) erm. thankx for being polite, but...
- \"someterm\" context: \"someterm\" (any language to any language) why bother with the context field when you are just repeating the source word?
While we\'re laughing at other people\'s stupidity, i can\'t help but think that at some point in our lives we may be the ones asking or saying the stupid things. The sad part is, we probably would never realise it ourselves.
[ This Message was edited by: Kvasir on 2003-05-15 22:26]
| || || |
To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:
You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »
Yet Another Hilarious Speech/Written Word Site
|The words you want Anywhere, Anytime|
WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.
More info »
|Protemos translation business management system |
|Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!|
The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.
More info »