Off topic: Yet Another Hilarious Speech/Written Word Site
Thread poster: Katherine Zei
Today, I stumbled upon the nth humour site devoted to slips in the English language. It can be found here:
Among the notables are the Words Without Thought -- Bungling the English language segment and the The Language Barrier -- When learning English, sometimes being close is still very far away segment.
| | Palko Agi
Local time: 00:42
English to Hungarian
| | Katherine Zei
Local time: 17:42
Italian to English
| Sempre un piacere, mai un dovere! || May 13, 2003 |
Always a pleasure, never a chore!
| | Kvasir
Local time: 16:42
English to Chinese
| How to ask a stupid kudos question || May 15, 2003 |
What an entertaining site!
no doubt we get stupid kudos questions from time to time, usually from anonymous users.
Few ones (or variation thereof) i can recall:
- \"M\" context: \"the letter M\" (english-chinese)
- \"John Smith\" (or any name given in latin alphabets). context: \"how is my name spelt?\" (english-chinese)
- \"16\" context: \"length\" (english-french)
- (any words with multiple meanings) context: \"please help!!!!\" (english-any language)
- (any unfamiliar abbreviations) context: \"abbreviation\" (any language-any language) sure, let us do the guesswork!
- (any term) context: \"hi!\" or \"thank you all!\" (any language to any language) erm. thankx for being polite, but...
- \"someterm\" context: \"someterm\" (any language to any language) why bother with the context field when you are just repeating the source word?
While we\'re laughing at other people\'s stupidity, i can\'t help but think that at some point in our lives we may be the ones asking or saying the stupid things. The sad part is, we probably would never realise it ourselves.
[ This Message was edited by: Kvasir on 2003-05-15 22:26]
| || || |
To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:
You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »
Yet Another Hilarious Speech/Written Word Site
|SDL MultiTerm 2017|
|Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.|
SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.
More info »
|Déjà Vu X3 |
|Try it, Love it|
Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market.
See the brand new features in action:
*Completely redesigned user interface
*Inline spell checking
More info »