Thread poster: Marjory Hord
Marjory Hord
Marjory Hord
Mexico
Local time: 09:40
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 6, 2008

My grandson, 4, was explaining something to his sister, 2 when his mother said "WAIT!" to some request of theirs. "Wait significa ahorita"! I suppose it is not only in Mexico that !ahorita" means "wait a sec" as well as (sometimes) "right now!" A funny contrast.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:40
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
I love it! Sep 7, 2008

Sooo, that is comparable to the famous "ASAP"?

The Germans have a similar term: "Gleich!", which can mean anything from a harsh "Immediately!" to "shortly", "in a little while", or if used by a teenager: "never".

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 11:40
Spanish to English
+ ...
I have to inject a bit of German here. Sep 7, 2008

My mother could never get over the "mixed signals" we were sending our children when we wanted them to stop what they were doing. "¡No! ¡Ya!" we would yell, which to her German background was "No! Yes!"

Jane

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:40
Spanish to English
+ ...
I remember Sep 7, 2008

Marjory Hord wrote:

I suppose it is not only in Mexico that !ahorita" means "wait a sec" as well as (sometimes) "right now!"

In a school subject roughly called "Spanish Semantics" (given in Spain), it was pointed out that only in Mexico did an adverb have a diminutive like a noun

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Ahorita no... Sep 8, 2008

...más tardecito.

The Mexican language has a lot of things that the Spaniards have either forgotten or never had in the first place!

megane_wang
megane_wang  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not so different in Spain Sep 8, 2008

It does not have the literal meaning of "stop, wait", but here when you ask for something you may get the answer "ya mismo", which means anything between "right now" and "never"

There's the same flexibility in catalan. I think that the concept comes printed somewhere within the 25000 human genes... !!...
See more
It does not have the literal meaning of "stop, wait", but here when you ask for something you may get the answer "ya mismo", which means anything between "right now" and "never"

There's the same flexibility in catalan. I think that the concept comes printed somewhere within the 25000 human genes... !!

Ruth @ MW
Collapse

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:40
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Mañana Sep 8, 2008

Here's a story:

A Spaniard asks an Arab how to say "mañana" in Arabic. The Arab ponders a while and replies "I don't think the Arabic language has a word that conveys that sense of urgency".

I know it's an old chestnut, but I like to keep them aired from time to time.
Jenny

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:40
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Common in Portuguese Sep 8, 2008

Parrot said:

In a school subject roughly called "Spanish Semantics" (given in Spain), it was pointed out that only in Mexico did an adverb have a diminutive like a noun.

Well, FYI, in Portuguese this is a very common feature, especially in Brazil:

Examples:

Estou indo agorinha mesmo. (Agora = now, agorinha = right now, in a flash)

Ele mora bem pertinho. (Perto = near, pertinho = really near, a stone's throw away)

With
... See more
Parrot said:

In a school subject roughly called "Spanish Semantics" (given in Spain), it was pointed out that only in Mexico did an adverb have a diminutive like a noun.

Well, FYI, in Portuguese this is a very common feature, especially in Brazil:

Examples:

Estou indo agorinha mesmo. (Agora = now, agorinha = right now, in a flash)

Ele mora bem pertinho. (Perto = near, pertinho = really near, a stone's throw away)

With adjectives it is even more common:

Eu comprei a casa bem baratinho. (Barato = cheap, baratinho = dirt cheap, for a song)
Collapse

Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales
Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Now later Sep 8, 2008

One of my favorite answers from my Andalusian husband when I ask him to get something done right away is "ahora después" (now later), as in "ahora después del partido" (now after the game)...

Luckily, we've been married longer than I care to remember, and I can proudly say that I no longer actually expect him to get it done before anytime soon, which is quite a feat for someone from Detroit, the birthplace of assembly-line time-motion efficiency.

Sara Senft
Sara Senft  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:40
Spanish to English
+ ...
This one is from my friend Sep 22, 2008

A friend of mine did student teaching in a Spanish classroom. One of his students tried to write "Tengo catorce años." (I am 14 years old) Instead, the student left out the mark on the 'n' in 'años.' That student end up referring to......a body part.

Marjory Hord
Marjory Hord
Mexico
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
more on the lack of ñ! Sep 22, 2008

I began to discover the existence of online translators when English students of mine in Mexico began writing funny things like "I spent an anus in Canada" (año), "I need to improve my groins" (inglés), and "Maradona juice with Pelè" (jugó); once the verb "tenía" came out as "tapeworm" (tenia). Either they wrote words wrong or the trans. programs didnt pick up accents, ñ's.
You can imagine those homework assignments didnt get very good grades!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

english-spanish "translation funnies"

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »