Off topic: Has anyone received this e-mail as well?
Thread poster: Elena Robles Sanjuan
Elena Robles Sanjuan
Elena Robles Sanjuan  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:48
English to Spanish
Oct 13, 2008

I have just received this e-mail, which I´m not too eager to trust, mainly because they don´t even know my name. The agency does not show in the Blue Board.
However, if anybody knows what this is about or has received a similar e-mail, I´d appreciate any comments.

Many thanks in advance

Dear Sir, dear Madam,

we have a request for a professional translation of a Real Estate
website from English to Spanish and would be gratefull if you could
... See more
I have just received this e-mail, which I´m not too eager to trust, mainly because they don´t even know my name. The agency does not show in the Blue Board.
However, if anybody knows what this is about or has received a similar e-mail, I´d appreciate any comments.

Many thanks in advance

Dear Sir, dear Madam,

we have a request for a professional translation of a Real Estate
website from English to Spanish and would be gratefull if you could
send us your quotation with the needed delivery time.

Please pay attention: only those having experience with the
translation of html files are welcome to send the quotation. Further
we will accept only a very professional translator with experience in
Trados 6.5 - the professional traslating tool for html-files and xml-
files, working with the TagEditor and translating only the words after
[CDATA between the brackets.

The total number of files to be translated are 106 xml-files, the
total number of words are 9.526.
These files have to be translated with the TagEditor using Trados 6.5
in xml without changing anything in the structure of the xml-files. It
is only to translate the words after [CDATA between the brackets.

For example, one line to traslate, like the folowing:

The translation of this line concerne only the one word between the
brackets, exactly the word [City], so it will be:
>

We experct a very proper translation without errors or imperfections,
because if defective, the translation cannot be loaded correctly on
the website.

We would appreciate, if you could sent us one xml-file of your choise,
from the attached files, translated in Spanish, in order to evaluate
the quality of your translation.
Collapse

Simon Cole
Simon Cole  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:48
Member (2008)
French to English
Don't trust it Oct 13, 2008

I think you're right to be doubtful. "one file or your choice" is a bit of a giveaway. If 106 translators all submit a different file - presto, job done. They should be asking all interested translators to do the same file, so they can compare. their apporch seems aimed at reducing the totla paid volume of the job. Also, judging by the quality of the e-mail, all returned target files are likely to have less errors than that original source. I wouldn't do more than quote and ask for more in... See more
I think you're right to be doubtful. "one file or your choice" is a bit of a giveaway. If 106 translators all submit a different file - presto, job done. They should be asking all interested translators to do the same file, so they can compare. their apporch seems aimed at reducing the totla paid volume of the job. Also, judging by the quality of the e-mail, all returned target files are likely to have less errors than that original source. I wouldn't do more than quote and ask for more information at this stage.Collapse

Elena Robles Sanjuan
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks, Simon Oct 13, 2008

Simon Cole wrote:

I think you're right to be doubtful. "one file or your choice" is a bit of a giveaway. If 106 translators all submit a different file - presto, job done. They should be asking all interested translators to do the same file, so they can compare. their apporch seems aimed at reducing the totla paid volume of the job. Also, judging by the quality of the e-mail, all returned target files are likely to have less errors than that original source. I wouldn't do more than quote and ask for more information at this stage.

The Spanish Association of Translators and Interpreters has raised the alarm now, as it seems the company -Samniumvita- has copied all the addresses of the Spanish translators. And, of course -as you rightly point out- this would be a free job for them if we all replied with a translation.

Roberto Alberdi
Roberto Alberdi  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
Same message Oct 13, 2008

Yes. I received this same message too. I agree it sounds fishy. Who has raised the alarm in Spain, ASETRAD?

Best regards,

Roberto

Elena Robles Sanjuan
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, it was ASETRAD Oct 13, 2008

Roberto Alberdi wrote:

Yes. I received this same message too. I agree it sounds fishy. Who has raised the alarm in Spain, ASETRAD?

Best regards,

Roberto

Many members of ASETRAD have received it too

Adi Al-Ka'bi
Adi Al-Ka'bi
Local time: 19:48
Arabic to English
+ ...
Easy & Fun Oct 18, 2008

If you've confirmed uncovering this being a way to get a free translation, let each reader of this forum that gets such a communiqué give them each a file full of stupid illogical opposite meaning stuff and pray they upload it on their Web Site.

Have a good time....
See more
If you've confirmed uncovering this being a way to get a free translation, let each reader of this forum that gets such a communiqué give them each a file full of stupid illogical opposite meaning stuff and pray they upload it on their Web Site.

Have a good time.

[Edited at 2008-10-18 02:35]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Has anyone received this e-mail as well?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »