https://www.proz.com/forum/lighter_side_of_trans_interp/123755-funny_brandnames.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >
Off topic: Funny brandnames
Thread poster: JH Trads
JH Trads
JH Trads  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:24
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
Dec 25, 2008

Just saw there was a relatively new smoking cessation product named Chantix. To me this seemed immediately funny o ironic. I just picture an Argentine (or from other South Cone countries) trying to quick smoking. "Chantix" sounds a lot like "Chanta". The problem is in that region "chanta" means an unreliable person who routinely overpromises and underdelivers, it just evokes a "liar"...So with Chantix, the "promise" to successfully quit smoking, may sound, well, a little bit shakyx... See more
Just saw there was a relatively new smoking cessation product named Chantix. To me this seemed immediately funny o ironic. I just picture an Argentine (or from other South Cone countries) trying to quick smoking. "Chantix" sounds a lot like "Chanta". The problem is in that region "chanta" means an unreliable person who routinely overpromises and underdelivers, it just evokes a "liar"...So with Chantix, the "promise" to successfully quit smoking, may sound, well, a little bit shakyxCollapse

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 22:24
English to Polish
+ ...
A v o n and... Dec 25, 2008

They say it sound funny in Russian, Ukrainian and Belorussian, especially when you say it as it's written, and put the stress on "o". A not very polite way of telling someone to go away.

Oh, it just occurred to me that O S R A M is obscene in Polish (and maybe in other Slavic languages), but it does not stop them from advertising on TV...

Regards,

Piotr

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
ASCO Dec 25, 2008

A leading manufacturer of CO2 equipment and bottled CO2 from Switzerland. In Spanish, if something gives you "asco", you just can't stand it, find it revolting, it's disgusting for you. But they do sell a lot in Spain! Seems like their equipment are not "asquerosos" at all!

Ana Brause
Ana Brause  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:24
English to Spanish
+ ...
Bimbo Dec 25, 2008

Amazing as it seems, it's the name of the loaf of bread that I'm attacking for breakfast right now... I wonder if that brand of breads is sold in English speaking countries (it's a huge group, so perhaps it's sold but under another name). ... See more
Amazing as it seems, it's the name of the loaf of bread that I'm attacking for breakfast right now... I wonder if that brand of breads is sold in English speaking countries (it's a huge group, so perhaps it's sold but under another name).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bimbo_(disambiguation)
Cheers,
Ana
Collapse

David Russi
David Russi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:24
English to Spanish
+ ...
Bimbo Bread is indeed sold in the U Dec 25, 2008

Ana Brause wrote:

Amazing as it seems, it's the name of the loaf of bread that I'm attacking for breakfast right now... I wonder if that brand of breads is sold in English speaking countries (it's a huge group, so perhaps it's sold but under another name).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bimbo_(disambiguation)
Cheers,
Ana

I've though it was funny for years.

David Russi
David Russi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:24
English to Spanish
+ ...
Funny packaging names Dec 25, 2008

Try this site, a collection of packaging names that sound funny in English.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/srajano/jokes.html

Enjoy!

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:24
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
They are lucky they haven't got to Brazil Dec 25, 2008

"Bosta" in Portuguese means "crap". This company:
http://www.bosta.com
would be in great trouble if they ever tried to do business with/in Brazil.

Pride is something their employees/managers could never attempt to have here.

Andres & Leticia Enjuto
Andres & Leticia Enjuto  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Funny name for a perfumery Dec 26, 2008

In Rosario, my hometown, there's an important perfumery called "Fanny". No wonder my English brother-in-law started taking pictures to show his family & friends back in England.

Happy Holidays to all!

Letty

[Edited at 2008-12-26 09:33 GMT]

Christine Biloré
Christine Biloré  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Tiburon Dec 26, 2008

This is the name of an anti-inflammatory medecine in France.

It means "shark" in spanish, and it always makes me thing about a song from proyecto uno...this can help when you have a headache

Andrzej Lejman
Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
Silver Mist Dec 26, 2008

should be the name of one of Rolls-Royce models...

But "Mist" is "manure" or "dung" in German.

Finally, they named it "Silver Ghost".

A.

Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
French to Hindi
+ ...
Off-topic: Reminds me of Maharaja of Patiala Dec 27, 2008

Andrzej Lejman wrote:

should be the name of one of Rolls-Royce models...

But "Mist" is "manure" or "dung" in German.

Finally, they named it "Silver Ghost".

A.

Sorry but couldn't help telling this funny story.

http://www.nri-worldwide.com/cgi-local/ts.pl?action=fetch&area=timelessindia

Here's the story:

When the Maharaja of Patiala was snubbed by snooty British salesmen at a Rolls Royce showroom in the U.K., he hit back by buying up the entire consignment of 50 vehicles on display and turning them into garbage trucks back home.

An English paper printed a picture and the story that made company representatives scurrying to Patiala with an olive branch.

www.jamesline.com/pdfs/SoloveAuction/Richard_Solove_Complete_Collection.pdf

According to the one that I've heard, the salesman didn't know that he was Maharaja of Patiala and thought that he was an ordinary Indian. And those were pre-independence days...

[Edited at 2008-12-27 09:35 GMT]

Tarara Paso
Tarara Paso
Sri Lanka
English to Spanish
+ ...
Bilore Dec 27, 2008

Bilore was a popular washing machine soap in Spain in the 60-70's.

Cheers!

Erik Hansson
Erik Hansson  Identity Verified
Germany
Swedish
+ ...
Loka mineral water Dec 27, 2008

A Swedish mineral water producer from the small place Loka (which has a famous well) was successful on the Swedish market and wanted to expand in Finland. Some months after the introduction on the new market they couldn't understand that almost nobody of the Finnish customers wanted to buy "Loka mineral water", until a smart guy informed them that "loka" is the Finnish word for "dirt". No wonder that nobody wanted to buy this water... See more
A Swedish mineral water producer from the small place Loka (which has a famous well) was successful on the Swedish market and wanted to expand in Finland. Some months after the introduction on the new market they couldn't understand that almost nobody of the Finnish customers wanted to buy "Loka mineral water", until a smart guy informed them that "loka" is the Finnish word for "dirt". No wonder that nobody wanted to buy this water

[Redigerad 2008-12-27 11:24 GMT]
Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
SOS Dec 27, 2008

... is a venerable and respected brand of rice in Spain. The first time I saw it, however, I thought it was strange for anybody to be selling food relief.

(Later on, I did the company's centennial history - a fascinating read. Nothing to do with "Save Our Ship").

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
Bonka Dec 27, 2008

A brand of coffee sold in Spain for many years.

Friends never fail to take back a couple of packets to the UK just for the opportunity to ask friends after dinner if the "feel like a Bonka".

Andy

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Funny brandnames

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »