Kathryn Litherland
Kathryn Litherland  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:02
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Holy wha? Jan 23, 2009

Am I the only one who feels like she's taken a tumble down the rabbit hole?

Pass the hookah, hon. I'll have whatever you're smoking.

chica nueva
chica nueva
Local time: 23:02
Chinese to English
Tahi, rua, toru, wha ... Here we go... Jan 24, 2009

Kathryn, Hello-o.

Sweetheart!
how'are You'oo
long time no See'ee

Have we met before?
what are you smoking
...Pass.
Well be careful
No P-pipes allowed here.
What's a hookah? please...

Actually, I'm not on anything
or very little. Next week I'm back at QEII.

How about you?

Lesley

KathyT
KathyT  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 21:02
Japanese to English
@Kathryn Jan 24, 2009

Kathryn Litherland wrote:

You are most certainly not alone!!
Perhaps it's a result of this southern hemisphere heatwave we're having?
Currently 40℃ here in sweltering Sydney...

Kathy (who thinks it's too hot for hookahs but would happily settle for a nice cold beer)

chica nueva
chica nueva
Chinese to English
Heavens above! Weather-gods. Jan 24, 2009

KathyT wrote:

You are most certainly not alone!!
Perhaps it's a result of this southern hemisphere heatwave we're having?
Currently 40℃ here in sweltering Sydney...

Kathy (who thinks it's too hot for hookahs but would happily settle for a nice cold beer)

Lovely. I like it! I like it! There's something about it...

Kathy

Hi, neighbour! don't often see Aussies round here.

'We're not alone', oh my! possums and kookaburra(s), and glads .... (I got it! I got it! Tell me I got it...) rabbit-holes? (hobbit-holes?) let's not go there...

last time I was in Sydney in January there was a terrific thunderstorm. must be the season, right? and pelicans at the Entrance, and Moreton Bay figs. merry merry king of the bush is he'ee. we could settle down with a Kirin, what do you think? maybe it's/he's your favourite.

Take it easy, mate/materess. Too hot to hustle.
Chinese New Year and Australia Day on Monday, hey.
Have fun!

Lesley

[Edited at 2009-01-24 11:32 GMT]

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 13:02
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Siberian horse / pot Jan 24, 2009

I'll have whatever you're smoking.

It's a special Siberian pot !

SarK0Y
SarK0Y
Russian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Lesley, Jan 24, 2009

i don't know Yulia about you said. this name is frequently in Russia. my town is near Don river. i don't love travels, noise, big cities and haven't been abroad.
about my deals: i search good/excellent/funny ideas and realize their.
saying shortly, i do, what i want:))
PS.
Valentine's Day: Russia uses any cause to celebrate:)))) do you know old New Year?:)))

chica nueva
chica nueva
Chinese to English
@ Lingua Jan 24, 2009

Hello Lingua

You speak Serbian and Croatian, that's very impressive. And so many cases. I'm surprised. I only know NVAGDA, six, from Latin.

We had NZ peacekeepers in Bosnia. We have Dalmatian winemakers in Auckland. And a good tennis player Marina Erakovic and a good singer Tina Cross.
communicologist must be like musicologist, I suppose? Can you explain?

Did you know Marco Polo was Croatian?
Siberian horse pot -> Mongolian hotpot (maybe)... See more
Hello Lingua

You speak Serbian and Croatian, that's very impressive. And so many cases. I'm surprised. I only know NVAGDA, six, from Latin.

We had NZ peacekeepers in Bosnia. We have Dalmatian winemakers in Auckland. And a good tennis player Marina Erakovic and a good singer Tina Cross.
communicologist must be like musicologist, I suppose? Can you explain?

Did you know Marco Polo was Croatian?
Siberian horse pot -> Mongolian hotpot (maybe)
(Am I right?)

Best wishes

Lesley

[Edited at 2009-01-25 07:17 GMT]
Collapse

SarK0Y
SarK0Y
Russian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Nicola Tesla is Jan 25, 2009

General Serb in the World history.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 13:02
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
@ lai an Jan 25, 2009

Hello lai an,

Serbian /Croatian / Bosnian are in fact three variants of the same language. Bosnian is closer to Croatian, i.e. they are both Ieakvian variant, whereas Serbian in Serbia is Ekavian ( Iekavian - Ekavian refers to dialectic differences, basically ).
Indeed, seven cases, changes of gender / number / case suffixes on each noun, verb, pronoun, etc... Also, we are using two alphabets : Cyrillic and Latin.

Ha ha.. communicology is a science that studies
... See more
Hello lai an,

Serbian /Croatian / Bosnian are in fact three variants of the same language. Bosnian is closer to Croatian, i.e. they are both Ieakvian variant, whereas Serbian in Serbia is Ekavian ( Iekavian - Ekavian refers to dialectic differences, basically ).
Indeed, seven cases, changes of gender / number / case suffixes on each noun, verb, pronoun, etc... Also, we are using two alphabets : Cyrillic and Latin.

Ha ha.. communicology is a science that studies all means of communication, communicology, communication language and technology etc.. Briefly, anything related to communication and speech ( both verbal and non-verbal).

Actually, I have worked with some NZ officers while I was employed with British Military. They were all so impressed with continental Europe. I guess it must be looking totally different to them, comparing to Asia, Aussy land and NZ. And I must admit that NZ English is very special . It took me some time to get used to it. The specifics are mostly related to the accent and the way you pronounce vowels, it's not that much about the language structure.

Yes, also, right now, Đoković is playing at Australian Open, he is the current AO champion. . And Jelena Jankovic is also the leading female player.

About Chinese : as far as I remember, Chinese is one of those rare languages with SOV lang. structure ? Or perhaps I mixed it up with some other language ? Or was it VOS ?

[Edited at 2009-01-25 20:56 GMT]
Collapse

chica nueva
chica nueva
Chinese to English
horse-trading and tennis Jan 26, 2009

SarK0Y wrote:

i don't know Yulia about you said. this name is frequently in Russia. my town is near Don river. i don't love travels, noise, big cities and haven't been abroad.
about my deals: i search good/excellent/funny ideas and realize their.
saying shortly, i do, what i want:))
PS.
Valentine's Day: Russia uses any cause to celebrate:)))) do you know old New Year?:)))

SarKOY

That's great! Thank you very much. I'll try to make it shorter, shall I?

Oh wow, your Christmas and Easter is a different time to ours. I didn't know.
Actually, I have a novel about Don Cossacks. They are famous. So, you live in a town... nice. do you ride horses? are they common in your area/neck of the woods? Do you mind, can I ask: are you Russian nationality? or minority?

Dementieva and Vesnina had a good time in Auckland. Dementieva likes Russian literature, she said. We have a new Russian icon in our cathedral, like a Rublev one. You are CIS I think. We British Commonwealth. Ha ha. Do you have any religion? or your town?

About deals? I am not sure... we can talk about milk ...? Are you interested? You are a businesswoman? Only 4 tenses you say. one is conditional. So, Russian is not so hard... And no perfect tenses? Chinese uses a particle for that, '了'. FESCO shipping line calls at NZ ports, maybe you know, from Vladivostock? Maybe you travel by boat sometimes? Maybe the river freezes over in winter, and you can skate? like the Dutch people... (I just imagine ...).

Today is Auckland Anniversary Day, they will have a yacht regatta on the harbour. (On Canterbury Anniversary Day we have an A&P show.) The whole country celebrates Waitangi Day soon; it's about the treaty. And you?

Some things I don't understand ... Anyway, best wishes, and thank you for starting this thread.

Lesley

[Edited at 2009-01-26 08:43 GMT]

SarK0Y
SarK0Y
Russian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Lesley, Jan 26, 2009

you're joke man:)) i'm not woman;-) now, i make online game & have some troubles. developing takes all free time. & tennis, horses etc. are not interested to me, now.

SarK0Y
SarK0Y
Russian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Lesley, Jan 26, 2009

i think, you'd overcome Russian, if had desire for it. hard parts are written &, probably, cases. however, Russian isn't most hard by it, if to compare with others lang. hmmm..... i've been read about Chinese, a few - don't see reasons to learn his for me: Arabic has no less areal, & is less hard to be learned.

[Edited at 2009-01-27 02:13 GMT]

chica nueva
chica nueva
Chinese to English
Alice Jan 27, 2009

Hi again Kathryn, Kathy T. try these interpretations by an Australian. I just love them:

Alice
http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=pAwR6w2TgxY&feature=channel_page

Anna (from "the King and I"):
http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=PuZ5tzr11Eo&feature=channel

[Edited at 2009-01-27 03:52 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Funny & Useful Tricks in translations.

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »