Mobile menu

Off topic: New cat tool on the market! New concept in translation!
Thread poster: Edward Potter

Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:58
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 17, 2003

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20030716/ap_on_re_as/japan_meowlingual_1

Direct link Reply with quote

Thierry LOTTE  Identity Verified
Member (2001)
English to French
+ ...
To Harry Potter (are you sure it is really Edward?) Jul 17, 2003

Many thanks for this "magic" link...

Personally I do not trust very much in these "Robot translators".

I will continue then to have my usual conversations with my cat, using the normal procedures ( I am bilingual in French/Siamese Cats and have some strong notions in French/European Cats - and reverse).

Above text have been written in French and uses a Robot Translator to get it in English.
So please kindly excuse any eventual mistakes.

PS : I wanted to add "Cat/French" and "French/Cat" to my "pairs" but ProZ refused to allow it.
I seize this oppotunity to strongly protest against this unpositive discrimination against the Cats.

Martine Etienne  Identity Verified
Belgium
Member (2003)
English to French
+ ...
Mew and Mewtoo Jul 17, 2003

Wonderful - I am not a native cat speaker but a mew speaker - My cat is european native and speaks a nice mew language with some prr.
But do you know Mew and Mewtoo from Pokemon - wonderfull cats - And what about a cat forum, my "grisou" is near the screen trying to catch my mouse - he seems to have much to say.
Cat...ly yours

Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Before they take it down here it is pasted Jul 18, 2003

Japanese Toymaker Goes Meowlingual
Wed Jul 16,10:30 AM ET

TOKYO - After selling 300,000 pet-lovers on the Bowlingual gadget that supposedly translates a dog's bark into human language, a toymaker hopes to parlay that success into a new hit product: Meowlingual.

AP Photo

Reuters
Slideshow: Gadget 'Translates' Cat Meows

The cat-shaped machine set to go on sale in Japan in November translates meows and purrs into human phrases such as "I can't stand it," although exact wording hasn't been decided yet, Tokyo-based Takara Co. said Wednesday.

The translation device will likely sell for about $74, slightly cheaper than the $125 Bowlingual, which has been a big hit in Japan.

Both gadgets use scientific data on animal sounds from a Tokyo laboratory that also analyzes human voices, helps solve crime and takes part in designing software for mobile phones.

Takara plans to start selling Bowlingual in the United States in August. Overseas sales plans for Meowlingual are still undecided.

"Cats are smaller and more finicky than dogs so we had to change the design a little," Takara spokeswoman Maiko Hasumi said.

The feline version won't strap on the collar as does the Bowlingual, and a person must hold the microphone in the machine up to the cat's mouth and hope it says something, she said.

In case your cat's not in the mood, the machine will have "playful features," such as a horoscope reading for cat lovers, she said.

lien
Netherlands
English to French
+ ...
he, un collegue Jul 18, 2003

Thierry LOTTE wrote:
I will continue then to have my usual conversations with my cat, using the normal procedures ( I am bilingual in French/Siamese Cats and have some strong notions in French/European Cats - and reverse).

Je suis aussi bilingue Siamois/Francais.

Ouin,

Lien

Silvina Beatriz Codina  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 15:58
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Understanding cats (or not understanding, rather) Jul 18, 2003

I actually envy the colleagues who are fluent in Catspeak. I own six cats (or am owned by them; you know that cats think you are theirs, not the other way round) and I have to admit they are perfectly inscrutable to me. Certainly, they can make themselves perfectly understood when they want to (as when they want their cat food or when my Persian doesn't feel in the mood of being groomed, for instance), but otherwise they are as Sphinx-like as they want to.

It doesn't go both ways, however: they can understand me perfectly well. I can see it in their disdainful expressions whenever I say or do something particularly silly.

[Edited at 2003-07-18 13:44]

Florence B  Identity Verified
France
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
Siamese>French Jul 18, 2003

Thierry LOTTE wrote:
( I am bilingual in French/Siamese Cats and have some strong notions in French/European Cats - and reverse).

Me too...
And in anyway I AM a Siamese cat, Florence stole my name!!!

Oddie

[Edited at 2003-07-18 14:34]

vladex  Identity Verified
Polish
+ ...
I'm waiting for feline/polish and vice versa version Jul 28, 2003

I think it is a good idea. But I'm affraid, that it will take much time, until a Polish version is produced. Probably, I will take less time to learn Japanese and Feline
Another problem is Feline (or, maybe, Catish?) diversity. I suppose, that English-Feline (Meow) is similar (at least phonetically) to Polish-Feline (Miau), but Canine (Doggish) is more diversed. For example, a typical English-Canine word "woof" is translated into Polish-Canine as "hau" etc. And, of course, there is a great need to produce translators of bovine, equine, galine, porcine languages etc.

Lorenzo Lilli  Identity Verified
German to Italian
+ ...
Italian cats, dogs etc. Jul 28, 2003

vladex wrote:

I suppose, that English-Feline (Meow) is similar (at least phonetically) to Polish-Feline (Miau), but Canine (Doggish) is more diversed. For example, a typical English-Canine word "woof" is translated into Polish-Canine as "hau" etc. And, of course, there is a great need to produce translators of bovine, equine, galine, porcine languages etc.

I find this so fascinating: in theory, cats, dogs etc should speak the same language all over the world... but they just don't! In Italy cats say miao (ok, nothing strange compared with other languages), dogs say bau (pronounced b-a-u, like in German), hens say coccodé (what about other languages?) and cocks chicchirichì (quite different from English).

vladex  Identity Verified
Polish
+ ...
Polish-Animal language Jul 29, 2003

Lorenzo Lilli wrote:

in theory, cats, dogs etc should speak the same language all over the world... but they just don't!

Exactly!
So, in Poland animals say:
cat - miau [myaw], but sometimes mrau (I suppose, that only Central European (eg. German and Polish) cats pronunce it with strong "rrrrrrrrr" between "m" and "a" )
and they whisper "mrrrrr..."
dog - hau [how] or hau-hau
sheep - bee [ee like in mAn, not like in bEE]
cow - mu [moo]
goat - mee [ee like in man]
hen - ko-ko (sometimes kukudak)
cock - kukuryku (with a stress at second last syllable - just like in human Polish)
chicken - cip-cip [tseep-tseep] or pi-pi [pee-pee] (but pi-pi is common for many little animals - esp. birds and rodents)
little birds, esp. sparrows - æwir [chveer]
duck - kwa-kwa [kva-kva]
goose - gê-gê [gew~-gew~] "ew~" is Polish nasalized "e", sth like in french "saint"
stork - kle-kle
coockoo - ku-ku [coo-coo]
fly or any other mosquito - bzz (without any vowel)

Of course, when you want to say sth in their languages, they ignore it. So, you call a cat not saying "miau" or sth like that, but: "kici-kici" [keechee (but my Polish ear hears sth like that in lyrics of song of "Moulin Rouge" - "getcha getcha")], but this is a topic of another story...

Thierry LOTTE  Identity Verified
Member (2001)
English to French
+ ...
Surrealistic Razzmatazz Jul 31, 2003

Vladex said :

So, in Poland animals say:
cat - miau [myaw], but sometimes mrau (I suppose, that only Central European (eg. German and Polish) cats pronunce it with strong "rrrrrrrrr" between "m" and "a" )
and they whisper "mrrrrr..."
dog - hau [how] or hau-hau
sheep - bee [ee like in mAn, not like in bEE]
cow - mu [moo]
goat - mee [ee like in man]
hen - ko-ko (sometimes kukudak)
cock - kukuryku (with a stress at second last syllable - just like in human Polish)
chicken - cip-cip [tseep-tseep] or pi-pi [pee-pee] (but pi-pi is common for many little animals - esp. birds and rodents)
little birds, esp. sparrows - æwir [chveer]
duck - kwa-kwa [kva-kva]
goose - gê-gê [gew~-gew~] "ew~" is Polish nasalized "e", sth like in french "saint"
stork - kle-kle
coockoo - ku-ku [coo-coo]
fly or any other mosquito - bzz (without any vowel)

Pliiiiiiiiise, Vladex !!!
Think about the reaction of "foreigners" coming to have a quick look on our Forum ! Without talking about ProZ competitors (TC or else) for whom it would be so easy now to pretend that we are unable to articulate neither spelling words!

LOL

[Edited at 2003-07-31 18:43]

DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:58
Member (2003)
Georgian to English
+ ...
Georgian woofs, Russian Cockerels and the international animal alphabet Aug 3, 2003

Lorenzo Lilli wrote:

vladex wrote:

I suppose, that English-Feline (Meow) is similar (at least phonetically) to Polish-Feline (Miau), but Canine (Doggish) is more diversed. For example, a typical English-Canine word "woof" is translated into Polish-Canine as "hau" etc. And, of course, there is a great need to produce translators of bovine, equine, galine, porcine languages etc.

I find this so fascinating: in theory, cats, dogs etc should speak the same language all over the world... but they just don't! In Italy cats say miao (ok, nothing strange compared with other languages), dogs say bau (pronounced b-a-u, like in German), hens say coccodй (what about other languages?) and cocks chicchirichм (quite different from English).

Russian dogs say (written in animal unicode fonts:) "гав – гав" gUUv-gUUv" and Georgian dogs say (animal unicode:) "ჰამ-ჰამ" hUUm-hUUm" (they both like it to rhyme with their human English aquaintances' 'gum', 'sum' said very fast).
Georgian cockerels say (animal unicode:) "ყიყ- ლი- ყოო" something like "(k'ch)(as in British'loch'!))eek-lee-k'hoe", while Russian cockerels say "ку – ка – ре – куу" coo-ka-rhe-kooo. British cockerels tell everyone they say 'cock-a-doodle-doo', although some listeners wonder whether that is really what they say - but then English-crowing farmyard cockerels don't even agree about what they are called (the American cockerels say they are really barnyard roosters).
Georgian and Russian cats stick closely to international lingua feline with "მიაუ- მიაუ" "mee-ow-oo"(Geo.feline) and "мяу – мяу – мяу" mee-yaooo"(Russ.feline) - the slight difference being because the Russian cats have a 'y' sound in their language and the Georgian cats have lots of other ones in theirs'.

A meeting was held on Saturday August 2nd.in the car park behind the United Nations head quarters in New York where the animal members of the various UN delegations unanimously voted for a motion 'that a working party should be set up to look into uniform standards for the transcription of animal languages'.

(Puzzling - the 'animal unicode' I used for Georgian and Russian really was unicode, and the Georgian characters appear properly(for my viewing at least) on a profile page, but not the Cyrillic (unlike 'normal' Cyrillic I usually use in Proz) - but here on this forum page (to my viewing at least) neither come out as characters (just question marks. Oh, well)

After an improvement in the site -for which I say thank you - the animal unicode is now visible (on my computer at least. I replaced the '??' with the actual characters)
ყიყ- ლი- ყოო coo-ka-rhe-kooo
ჰამ- ჰამ
მიაუ- მიაუ mee-ow-oo
Georgian animal Unicode

ку – ка – ре – куу
гав – гав
мяу – мяу – мяу mee-yaoo
Russian animal Unicode

[Edited at 2003-08-11 08:00]

[Edited at 2006-03-07 16:11]

Alexandru Pojoga
Romania
Local time: 21:58
Japanese to English
+ ...
But doesn't that kind of ruin the pleasure of having a cat? Oct 27, 2003

Gadget 'Translates' Cat Meows

If you can't understand the cat, shouldn't you get a dog or something (ugh)?

I like to think of them as creatures of intelligence equal to mine -- WHICH is to say they are intelligent TOO, lol.

DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:58
Member (2003)
Georgian to English
+ ...
Alexandru's posting makes me think of a quotation Nov 17, 2003

Alexandru Pojoga wrote:

Gadget 'Translates' Cat Meows

If you can't understand the cat, shouldn't you get a dog or something (ugh)?

I like to think of them as creatures of intelligence equal to mine -- WHICH is to say they are intelligent TOO, lol.

which apparently was something that Winston Churchill used to say, from his standpoint as a great admirer of pigs.

"A cat looks down at you, a dog looks up at you, but a pig looks you straight in the eye."

A third way - with the option of hunting truffles if you are lucky, too?
Mind you, he seems to have liked cats and dogs too.

[Edited at 2003-11-17 10:22]

Florence B  Identity Verified
France
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
Another translation site .. Nov 21, 2003

http://www.flat33.com/bzzzpeek/index1.html
Featuring various animals, cars, etc.. sounds in several languages (with sound)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New cat tool on the market! New concept in translation!

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs