https://www.proz.com/forum/lighter_side_of_trans_interp/127171-bavarian_translation.html

Bavarian Translation
Thread poster: ComWell
ComWell
ComWell  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:55
English
Feb 9, 2009

A friend of mine enjoys stumping me with various languages unavailable through MT. I don't like being stumped His latest trick is using a more remote Bavarian dialect (dei Boarisch). If anyone cares to translate, I'd be very appreciative.

Here's his latest...

kandad mi jiedz moi kapudd lacha – einfach zum Schiaßn. Wo hosdn des nachad hea??

Thanks!

Manuela Junghans
Manuela Junghans  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:55
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
not sure if I´m able to exactly convey the meaning... Feb 9, 2009

but here´s an approximate translation....

I could laugh my head off/(crack up), that´s extremely funny - where did you get that from?

...although "extremely funny" gets the meaning of "zum schiaßn" across, it´s not exactly it. It´s just on of those expressions a "native speaker" of whatever dialect would just naturally associate with a particular feeling or meaning....which I personally can´t convey/put into words...
Maybe some other native of Bavaria comes
... See more
but here´s an approximate translation....

I could laugh my head off/(crack up), that´s extremely funny - where did you get that from?

...although "extremely funny" gets the meaning of "zum schiaßn" across, it´s not exactly it. It´s just on of those expressions a "native speaker" of whatever dialect would just naturally associate with a particular feeling or meaning....which I personally can´t convey/put into words...
Maybe some other native of Bavaria comes up with a better explanation

Manuela
Collapse

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Revenge? Feb 9, 2009

If you want something translated into Plattdeutsch in order to take revenge: feel free to contact me...

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
German to English
+ ...
LOL Feb 9, 2009

Manuela Junghans wrote:

LOL! Very nicely put.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 05:55
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Backwards or forwards? Feb 10, 2009

Manuela Junghans wrote:

I believe "schießen" here does not mean shooting but something that makes also noise but is unpleasant for those standing behind the person in question.

Karl Valentin: Es riecht nicht alles gut was kracht.

Regards
Heinrich

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bavarian Translation

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »