Bavarian Translation
Thread poster: ComWell
ComWell
ComWell  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:15
English
Feb 9, 2009

A friend of mine enjoys stumping me with various languages unavailable through MT. I don't like being stumped His latest trick is using a more remote Bavarian dialect (dei Boarisch). If anyone cares to translate, I'd be very appreciative.

Here's his latest...

kandad mi jiedz moi kapudd lacha – einfach zum Schiaßn. Wo hosdn des nachad hea??

Thanks!

Manuela Junghans
Manuela Junghans  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:15
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
not sure if I´m able to exactly convey the meaning... Feb 9, 2009

but here´s an approximate translation....

I could laugh my head off/(crack up), that´s extremely funny - where did you get that from?

...although "extremely funny" gets the meaning of "zum schiaßn" across, it´s not exactly it. It´s just on of those expressions a "native speaker" of whatever dialect would just naturally associate with a particular feeling or meaning....which I personally can´t convey/put into words...
Maybe some other native of Bavaria comes
... See more
but here´s an approximate translation....

I could laugh my head off/(crack up), that´s extremely funny - where did you get that from?

...although "extremely funny" gets the meaning of "zum schiaßn" across, it´s not exactly it. It´s just on of those expressions a "native speaker" of whatever dialect would just naturally associate with a particular feeling or meaning....which I personally can´t convey/put into words...
Maybe some other native of Bavaria comes up with a better explanation

Manuela
Collapse

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Revenge? Feb 9, 2009

If you want something translated into Plattdeutsch in order to take revenge: feel free to contact me...

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
German to English
+ ...
LOL Feb 9, 2009

Manuela Junghans wrote:

LOL! Very nicely put.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 09:15
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Backwards or forwards? Feb 10, 2009

Manuela Junghans wrote:

I believe "schießen" here does not mean shooting but something that makes also noise but is unpleasant for those standing behind the person in question.

Karl Valentin: Es riecht nicht alles gut was kracht.

Regards
Heinrich

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bavarian Translation

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »