Mobile menu

Off topic: No smoking / white button
Thread poster: Schpella
Local time: 13:27
Mar 12, 2009

I am a newbie here and I didn't have the time to read through the whole forum, so I apologize if this one is old.

The story goes like this: somewhere in Germany, the owners of a supermarket decided to put out a sign that would say "No smoking" in several languages and thought they should put it down in serbian-croatian language also.

Obviously they didn't consult a professional translator, but they knew that the serbian-croatian translation of "no smoking" (zabranjeno pušenje) is also a name of a famous Bosnian rock band. I guess they've just taken a wild guess and put the name of the wrong band on the sign...

So basically, the sign says "No smoking" in german, english, italian and turkish... and in serbian-croatian, it says "Bijelo dugme", which means "White button".

Direct link Reply with quote

xanthippe  Identity Verified
Member (2008)
Italian to French
+ ...
unbelievable.... Mar 12, 2009

unbelievable... I don't know if I would laugh or cry .....

People would better pay a professional translator....

English to Slovenian
+ ...
A heavy one Mar 12, 2009

and might be amusing to those who understand the language and know those bands. However, I doubt that whoever ordered that translation would agree with the amusement part.

Hard to believe it's true, although I'm sure we've all seen cases much worse than this.

Thank you for sharing

Kemal Mustajbegovic  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:27
English to Croatian
+ ...
That's actually... Mar 12, 2009

...translation into Bosnian.

In Croatian it would be "Prljavo kazalište" (Dirty Theatre") and in Serbian "Riblja čorba" (Fish Stew).

Don't you just love those penny pinchers.

Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
lol Mar 12, 2009

Is this a joke ?

Yes, "Bijelo dugme " is a popular Bosnian rock band from the 70ies.

Both " Bijelo dugme ( White Button) " and " Zabranjeno pušenje ( No Smoking)" are Bosnian music bands.

" laughs "

[Edited at 2009-03-12 16:01 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

No smoking / white button

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info » PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs