Off topic: Disastrous machine translation
Thread poster: Izabela Szczypka
Silvina Beatriz Codina
Silvina Beatriz Codina  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 11:10
English to Spanish
Don't know what "zwemvliespagina" is... Sep 12, 2003

... but it does not sound right, that's for sure.

In Portuguese, "web page" became "photoreceiving belt" (is there any such thing?). I am usually able to follow the "reasoning" applied by the machine on these occasions (for example, in one case I remember, "kids" became "little goats" in Spanish; unfortunately that particular phrase referred to "children"). But how did "web page" become "correia fotorreceptora"? Beats me...

Elena Ivaniushina
Elena Ivaniushina  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 17:10
English to Russian
+ ...
Russian version is delightful, too Sep 19, 2003

The Russian version of this site has been a laughing stock for the Russian community since May. It's especially touching that even then a large pop-up window had been declaring about the changes and corrections that should be implemented in the nearest two weeks. The site owners must have fallen into some kind of time warp...

Seeing that the site hosts do not react and do not answer to any letters concerning quality of these "translations", one can think that their only goal is to p
... See more
The Russian version of this site has been a laughing stock for the Russian community since May. It's especially touching that even then a large pop-up window had been declaring about the changes and corrections that should be implemented in the nearest two weeks. The site owners must have fallen into some kind of time warp...

Seeing that the site hosts do not react and do not answer to any letters concerning quality of these "translations", one can think that their only goal is to provide entertainment for those who happen to look at their site

[Edited at 2003-09-22 09:19]
Collapse

Mijo Schyllert
Mijo Schyllert  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:10
English to Swedish
+ ...
Here is another one... Dec 11, 2005

http://www.kose.ee/mai-liis/becquer.htm
oh dear oh dear...

[Edited at 2006-01-10 00:42]

[Edited at 2006-01-10 00:42]

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 10:10
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Mijo Dec 11, 2005

Could you please edit your post, and just put a space between htm and the rest, so the link is easily accessible?

I accessed it, and when I say "it" I do not refer to the unfortunate Gustavo, unlike the translator After all, poor Gustavo has suffered enough, given that "the five years had left orphan of father"...

Thanks Mijo
... See more
Could you please edit your post, and just put a space between htm and the rest, so the link is easily accessible?

I accessed it, and when I say "it" I do not refer to the unfortunate Gustavo, unlike the translator After all, poor Gustavo has suffered enough, given that "the five years had left orphan of father"...

Thanks Mijo

Nancy
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Disastrous machine translation

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »