Sheila Hardie  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:59
Catalan to English
+ ...
Sep 16, 2003

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at an enligsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in
waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht
frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae.
The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm.
Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a
wlohe.

A friend sent this to me today and I thought it was really amazing!...
See more
wlohe.

A friend sent this to me today and I thought it was really amazing!

It really does show how we read, doesn't it?

I wonder if it would work with all languages?

Sheila

I have just realised Chris Hopley started a thread with the same thing earlier today! Sorry for the repetition! I didn't see his before I posted this.

[Edited at 2003-09-16 17:51]
Collapse

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:29
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
Not one but two threads Sep 16, 2003

There are already two threads going on with the same theme. One was posted yesterday and the other early today.

Sheila Hardie wrote:

wlohe.

A friend sent this to me today and I thought it was really amazing!

It really does show how we read, doesn't it?

I wonder if it would work with all languages?

Sheila

I have just realised Chris Hopley started a thread with the same thing earlier today! Sorry for the repetition! I didn't see his before I posted this.

[Edited at 2003-09-16 17:51]

Valeria Verona
Valeria Verona  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 17:59
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
funny Sep 16, 2003

I got it today, too! And with its corresponding translation into Spanish. So it looks like it works in other languages, too.
Isn't that funny?
Regards,
Valeria

vladex
vladex  Identity Verified
Polish
+ ...
another language Sep 17, 2003

Valeria Verona wrote:

I got it today, too! And with its corresponding translation into Spanish. So it looks like it works in other languages, too.
Isn't that funny?
Regards,
Valeria

And I received it in Polish this morning

Sheila Hardie
Sheila Hardie  Identity Verified
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
other languages etc. Sep 17, 2003

vladex wrote:

Valeria Verona wrote:

Isn't that funny?
Regards,
Valeria

And I received it in Polish this morning

This morning I found another website where this topic is currently being discussed and some of the comments were quite interesting. I'll quote a few here:

An interesting point that turned up in the Avva thread is that it doesn't work nearly as well in Russian (and presumably in other inflected languages), because the last letter is usually part of an inflectional ending and not of the base word, so that the only fixed meaning-bearing letter (so to speak) is the first, and the inflectional letters mixed in just add to the confusion.

It seems that the further along one gets in a sentence that's been jumbled like this the easier it gets. Anticipating words to come later in the sentence being easier than at the beginning. Not sure. I also wonder what would happen comprehensionwise if you took a Chinese sentence and mixed up the tones, leaving the syllables intact? It would have to be spoken, not written, I suppose, or maybe written in Pinyin or Bopomofo.

It's a well-documented phenomena in cognitive psychology. People recognize words by their shape. Ever notice how much easier it is to read (recognize) lower case text? SEE HOW MUCH HARDER IT IS TO READ TEXT IN ALL CAPS? IT'S BECAUSE WORDS LOOK LIKE FEATURELESS BLOCKS instead of sporting nice ascenders and descenders to give you a clue to what letterforms words contain.

http://www.languagehat.com/archives/000840.php

I was interested to read the bit about the ascenders and descenders and the fact that it's more difficult to decipher the text if it's all written in capitals.

BTW, how did it work in Polish, vladex, because it's a highly inflected language, isn't it?

Sheila

Jeremy Smith
Jeremy Smith  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:59
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
In other languages Sep 17, 2003

The same thing in French:

Sleon une édtue de l'Uvinertisé de Cmabrigde, l'odrre des ltteers dnas les mtos n'a pas d'ipmrotncae, la suele coshe ipmrotnate est que la pmeirère et la drenèire soit à la bnnoe pclae. Le rsete puet êrte dnas un dsérorde ttoal et vuos puoevz tujoruos lrie snas porlblème. C'est prace que le creaveu hmauin ne lit pas chuaqe ltetre elle-mmêe, mias le mot cmome un tuot.

And in Portuguese:

De aorcdo com uma pqsieusa de uma uin
... See more
The same thing in French:

Sleon une édtue de l'Uvinertisé de Cmabrigde, l'odrre des ltteers dnas les mtos n'a pas d'ipmrotncae, la suele coshe ipmrotnate est que la pmeirère et la drenèire soit à la bnnoe pclae. Le rsete puet êrte dnas un dsérorde ttoal et vuos puoevz tujoruos lrie snas porlblème. C'est prace que le creaveu hmauin ne lit pas chuaqe ltetre elle-mmêe, mias le mot cmome un tuot.

And in Portuguese:

De aorcdo com uma pqsieusa de uma uinrvesriddae ignlsea, não ipomtra em qaul odrem as lrteas de uma plravaa etãso, a úncia csioa iprotmatne é que a piremria e útmlia lrteas etejasm no lgaur crteo. O rseto pdoe ser uma ttaol bçguana que vcoê pdoe anida ler sem pobrlmea. Itso é poqrue nós não meos cdaa lrtea isladoa, mas a plravaa cmoo um tdoo.
Collapse

vladex
vladex  Identity Verified
Polish
+ ...
:-) Sep 17, 2003

Sheila Hardie wrote:

BTW, how did it work in Polish, vladex, because it's a highly inflected language, isn't it?

Sheila

I can't evaluate it, 'cause I had known the sense from an English version and I read that sketchily

Another problem is, that in the Polish one, internal letters are not really randomly distributed. In most words there are two or even three last letters left, so the endings usualy clearly indicate flexion status...

Zdognie z nanjwoymszi baniadmai perzporawdzomyni na bytyrijskch
uweniretasytch nie ma zenacznia kojnolesc ltier przy zpiasie dengao solwa.
Nwajzanszyeim jest, aby prieszwa i otatsnia lteria byla na siwom mijsecu,
ptzosa³oe mgo¹ byæ w niaedzi³e i w dszalym c¹igu nie pwinono to sawrztaæ
polbemórw ze zozumierniem tksetu. Dzijee sie tak datgelo, ze nie czamyty
wyszistkch lteir w so³wie, ale c³ae so³wa od razu. ; )

[Edited at 2003-09-17 11:44]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

wrod oredr :-)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »