ProZ Café featuring: Lost in Translation
Thread poster: CHENOUMI (X)
CHENOUMI (X)
CHENOUMI (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Sep 21, 2003

Hellooo!
I had the privilege to see the movie with a Japanese friend, who helped me understand some cultural differences.

This space is reserved for reviews by those of you who have also seen it.

... See more

Hellooo!
I had the privilege to see the movie with a Japanese friend, who helped me understand some cultural differences.

This space is reserved for reviews by those of you who have also seen it.

Perhaps we should hold on to our comments until most of us have seen it.

You're welcome to talk about what you liked or disliked about it, and tell if you had high expectations, were they met?

Welcome to the ProZ Café, a fun setting we should turn to for relaxing moments, reviews on best-selling books and movies!

What about a "Café Forum"...?

[Edited at 2003-09-25 03:14]
Collapse

pascie
pascie  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:47
English to French
+ ...
Just saw it today Sep 22, 2003

I have to admit it was a bit confusing at the beginning as I was expecting something else. As I don't want to resume it just as a woman psychology movie, I need more time to think about it.
It shows how to go over our basic intincts.
Anyway after such an experience things would never be the same for both of them.

María Alejandra Funes
María Alejandra Funes
Local time: 03:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
Café Sep 22, 2003

I don't think it is a good idea to call this section "ProZ.com Café". I believe you know why

Regards,

ALE

CHENOUMI (X)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not a copycat "café"... Sep 22, 2003

Maria Alejandra Funes wrote:

I don't think it is a good idea to call this section "ProZ.com Café". I believe you know why

Regards,

ALE

I can only guess, but in my culture, we say: "Se pa yon sèl bourik ki rele MATEN" meaning: "MARTIN is not the name given to one and only ONE donkey"...

Otherwise, there would be no business or activity with "café" in their commercial name. Besides, it's not a suggestion for a new ProZ name, but only a section of the site.

I personally like the idea of "café". Why not?

Regards,
S.

[Edited at 2003-09-22 05:50]

Natalya Zelikova
Natalya Zelikova  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 08:47
English to Russian
+ ...
Re: film Sep 22, 2003

Hello all,

Haven't seen the film yet so searched for some info on the internet.
Maybe the site will be of some interest for others too.
Official film site at http://www.lost-in-translation.com

Natalya
http://translate.web1000.com

laca
laca
English to Polish
Why use the copy? Sep 22, 2003

María Alejandra Funes wrote:

I know why: Why use the copy if you can have the original?

Ewa

LinguaText (X)
LinguaText (X)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Black hole? Someone has inside story and does us a favour to shed light? Sep 22, 2003

laca wrote:

I don't think it is a good idea to call this section "ProZ.com Caf?. I believe you know why

Ewa

Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:47
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Café not a good idea? Sep 22, 2003

Could Alejandra please expand on her comment about the rubric? I'm fairly new to ProZ and must have missed something!

As the founder of the Tucson version of Conversation Café, I have had a big battle about "purity of form" when using that name, but basically, cafés -- in general -- as a locus for conversation have a long and noble history, and if this is a proposal for a "ProZ Café," I vote YES!

Trish

CHENOUMI (X)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
On the semantics of café Sep 22, 2003

Laca and all, I was not thinking of any other café when I had my idea.

=)café /"kafeI, -fi; joc. or slang kaf, keIf/ n.1 Also cafe, CAFF.E19. [Fr. = coffee(-house).] A coffee-house; a teashop; an informal restaurant; US a bar.

I don't go "there". As a matter of fact, I've been loyal to the "original" for more than one year, with no intention of switching...

Come on! It's unfortunate that the lighte
... See more
Laca and all, I was not thinking of any other café when I had my idea.

=)café /"kafeI, -fi; joc. or slang kaf, keIf/ n.1 Also cafe, CAFF.E19. [Fr. = coffee(-house).] A coffee-house; a teashop; an informal restaurant; US a bar.

I don't go "there". As a matter of fact, I've been loyal to the "original" for more than one year, with no intention of switching...

Come on! It's unfortunate that the lighter side of this topic is being drowned into rivalry issues. Let's see the big picture.
OK.

Will Prozzz Corner or Prozzz Cyber Space make you happier?
I like café better, but since the word is being made so controversial, do you have a better idea?

laca wrote:

Ewa
Collapse

CHENOUMI (X)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This is what I call a positive attitude! Sep 22, 2003

I appreciate your open-mindedness, Trish!
And
Welcome to the Prozzz Café!

Patricia Rosas wrote:

Could Alejandra please expand on her comment about the rubric? I'm fairly new to ProZ and must have missed something!

As the founder of the Tucson version of Conversation Café, I have had a big battle about "purity of form" when using that name, but basically, cafés -- in general -- as a locus for conversation have a long and noble history, and if this is a proposal for a "ProZ Café," I vote YES!

Trish

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 09:47
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Tea for me please! Sep 22, 2003

Why not teashop? "The Willow Tree" sounds like a place where Agatha Christie has done her murders.
Anyone some more information about the movie (or film)? American I guess? Hollywood or something better?

laca
laca
English to Polish
Bad connotations Sep 23, 2003

Yubing Yang wrote:

Black hole? Someone has inside story and does us a favour to shed light?

The traditional French term "café" has bad connotations. To fill the black hole, here is some inside information:

http://www.ohiou.edu/~Chastain/dh/drinkest.htm

Pamela Peralta
Pamela Peralta  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 01:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
ProZ Café Sep 23, 2003

I think ProZ Café is ok. But what if you add a word, for instance 'ProZ Movie Café'.. I don't know. 'ProZ Movie Corner'?
In anyway, I have not heard of that movie "Lost in Translation", but we probably won't get it here for another 1 or 2 months, if ever.
Why don't we start this ProZ Café by stating our favorite movie or movies of all time?
I have a few, from the top of my head I would say (and please don't laugh) 'The Planet of the Apes', all five of them.
What abo
... See more
I think ProZ Café is ok. But what if you add a word, for instance 'ProZ Movie Café'.. I don't know. 'ProZ Movie Corner'?
In anyway, I have not heard of that movie "Lost in Translation", but we probably won't get it here for another 1 or 2 months, if ever.
Why don't we start this ProZ Café by stating our favorite movie or movies of all time?
I have a few, from the top of my head I would say (and please don't laugh) 'The Planet of the Apes', all five of them.
What about you?

Pamela
Collapse

María Alejandra Funes
María Alejandra Funes
Local time: 03:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
No big deal! Sep 23, 2003

First of all, I would like to tell you that my previous comment was a very innocent one. When I saw that Sandra suggested "ProZ.com Café" for a (movie) section, I directly thought of [a competitive site]. That is why I think it was not a good idea.

You can call the section whatever you like. I did not want make a big issue of it. It was just a comment.

Hope that everything is clear now

ALE

CHENOUMI (X)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Café Forum or Teashop Forum? Sep 24, 2003

Hello Heinrich,

I suggested café because I was thinking of a place, i.e. a forum where we could go to discuss movies and books, even crack some translation jokes. Anything else related to the field of T&I would - of course - fall in that category.

After racking my brains all day in a translation and juggling with words, I would certainly enjoy a similar venue.

Such a forum would also provide a
... See more
Hello Heinrich,

I suggested café because I was thinking of a place, i.e. a forum where we could go to discuss movies and books, even crack some translation jokes. Anything else related to the field of T&I would - of course - fall in that category.

After racking my brains all day in a translation and juggling with words, I would certainly enjoy a similar venue.

Such a forum would also provide a relaxing time for Site staff and mods who deserve a break from the spate of daily complaints and problems to solve...

Let's toast to the Café Forum or the Teashop Forum, whichever term becomes more popular among us!

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Why not teashop? "The Willow Tree" sounds like a place where Agatha Christie has done her murders.
Anyone some more information about the movie (or film)? American I guess? Hollywood or something better?

[Edited at 2003-09-24 05:38]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ProZ Café featuring: Lost in Translation

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »