Mobile menu

Off topic: What do you think of when you think of Canada? February?
Thread poster: NancyLynn

NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 12:33
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
Feb 1, 2004

Well it's winter again in Canada, where we have two seasons : winter and construction.

A funny little point came up in a Fr-Eng Kudoz question (http://www.proz.com/kudoz/625887).

Here is the joke that came to my mind as a result of this, reproduced for your convenience and enjoyment:

What does Y2K stand for ? We all remember that.

What does MY2K stand for ?
In Canada, it's 'My tuque, eh?'

Embroidered across the front flap of your woolly hat, this little acronym makes for scintillating conversation while waiting for the hockey game to start

Nancy

Direct link Reply with quote

nyamuk
United States
Local time: 10:33
Indonesian to English
+ ...
Seasons cool, cold, colder, and coldest. Feb 1, 2004

My uncle (Acadien, not Canadian) says that the Chinese Water Torture would be his salvation in the cold dark days of winter. Rather than driving him crazy the pitter patter of drops breaking across his forehead would remind him of the maple sap flowing and dripping into buckets, signaling the end of winter.

An aunt from Montreal says 'In Canada it is so cold we go inside where its warm, to watch ice hockey.

Of the winter my grandfather said that Gaspé was short for, terre des gaspiller, or it meant Gaspé (en=gasp) et morte. In other words if you go outside and take a breath it will be your last. For a greater life expectancy travel south, where it is warmer, to Saint Louis du Ha Ha where you can expect to get two gasps of breath before you expire.

All of this is no doubt what inspired the annexation of 14th the province of Canada, le territoire du Florida.

xxxsarahl
Local time: 09:33
English to French
+ ...
Summer in Canada Feb 2, 2004

Canadians go fishing on that day if the weather is nice.
Sarah

nyamuk
United States
Indonesian to English
+ ...
fishing in the winter Feb 2, 2004

sarahl wrote:

Sarah

You didn't think those little huts (next to the Ski Dooo) in everyones backyard were outhouses did you?

PAS  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:33
English to Polish
+ ...
And then there is the perennial... Feb 2, 2004

what do you call July and August in Canada?

two months of bad skiing.

My parents (who live in Toronto) reported that schools were actually closed a few days ago! I don't recall that happening since I was little (and went to school myself).
Those were the days - watching the snow fall, listening to the radio at 7:30 a.m. and waiting for the announcement. Instant holiday! It was enough to make you believe there is a God.

Cheers,
Pawel Skalinski

[Edited at 2004-02-02 07:53]

NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Snow days Feb 2, 2004

Yep, plenty of them in January this year - that cold snap was brutal. (done for now, thankfully this morning it's only -10).
I had to close my own office for a day -- not due to snow, but a burst water pipe (a common reason for school closures too, BTW).

Ice fishing -- we heat those huts with wood stoves, which means you arrive at the hut wrapped up to the eyebrows against the river winds, but as you sip your spiked coffee out of your giant thermos, the fire slowly heats up the tiny space -- and before you know it, the mitts, tuque, parka, snow pants are hanging on the hook.

Can you think of a more romantic way to spend Valentine's Day?

Nancy

Tina Vonhof  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Groundhog Day Feb 2, 2004

Well, it's Groundhog Day. Here in Calgary the groundhog has definitely seen his shadow, so we're in for at least another six weeks of winter. However, although the temperature is -20°, we had a magnificent sunrise and it promises to be sunny all day. That makes up for a lot!

NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
long-term forecast Feb 2, 2004

Tina Vonhof wrote:

Here in Calgary ... the temperature is -20°

In Ontario we usually get your weather four days later...
It's now -4, sunny, long long icicles hanging off the roof, everything melting, it's like spring!!!
I hope everything melts before the brutal deep-freeze hits once again, so we don't have to wear ice-skates to get to the car.:-)
N.
Nancy

Suzanne Bernard
Local time: 13:33
English to French
+ ...
Brrr... Feb 2, 2004

PAS wrote:

My parents (who live in Toronto) reported that schools were actually closed a few days ago! I don\'t recall that happening since I was little (and went to school myself).

Yup! Schools were closed 7 days in January, here (New Brunswick) due to extreme colds -42 windchill and a storm.

You'd think spring's here, today - only -15!

Oh well, spring'll soon be here... and sugaring off time! yum!
)

Suzanne

Johanna Timm, PhD  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
....come on out to the west coast Feb 2, 2004

...it's quite balmy here! My daffodils are peeking through the(admittedly wet) soil and it's usually back to t-shirts by mid February! cheers from Vancouver,
johanna

xxxsarahl
English to French
+ ...
Come on down to the midwest! Feb 5, 2004

The weather is milder here, we're up to -2° this week. Don't forget your shades and your sunscreen!

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:03
English to Tamil
+ ...
And how about Finland? Feb 5, 2004

I raise this question because of an anecdote narrated by my father some 30 years ago. He was a reporter in the local newspaper. The President of Finland was at that time in our city (Madras, India) on a visit. It was January. The outside temperature was around 30 degrees Celcius. This gentleman was addressing a press conference. He started his address with: "Ladies and gentlemen, I see that summer has come to Madras." He was bewildered by the outbreak of laughter. He was astounded to learn afterwards that it was actually winter time in Madras.
Regards,
N.Raghavan

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 18:33
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
That must have been Kekkonen then Feb 8, 2004

I never heard this story before, if its 30 years back it must have been Kekkonen, president of Finland from 1956 till 1981 (died 1986). Thanks for the anecdote, I will tell it to everyone.

The diffenrence between Finland and Canada: here we do not use huts when going ice-fishing, but enjoy the bright sun and get tanned. This weekend is ideally suited to this hobby, frost from minus 5 (Helsinki) to minus 30 (Lapland) and the ice is really thick everywhere.
http://www.atk-kanavat.fi/sy/sy030323jouko.jpg

Melina Kajander
Finland
English to Finnish
Oh yes... Feb 15, 2004

I had to laugh, so many of the earlier comments could just as well apply to Finland... Just change the name of the country:

Summer in Canada

what do you call July and August in Canada?
two months of bad skiing.

that cold snap was brutal. (done for now, thankfully this morning it's only -10).

I hope everything melts before the brutal deep-freeze hits once again, so we don't have to wear ice-skates to get to the car.:)

Katherine Zei  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:33
Italian to English
+ ...
Ontario weather propelled me elsewhere Feb 19, 2004

My mom has been emailing me cold-weather horror stories for the past two months. The cold snap was brutal there, I can imagine Gaspé! And I only want to imagine it (not experience it) lest I Ha Ha die!!

More seasonal "jokes"...
In the northern Ontario region, the two seasons are: winter, and mosquito.

I shouldn't be so critical, however; in Giussano (Brianza) Italy, it's been snowing all day! A rare occurance in December, never mind in February!

That MY2K joke was hilarious, by the way. I've been in Italy for too long!!! I had never heard it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What do you think of when you think of Canada? February?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs