https://www.proz.com/forum/lighter_side_of_trans_interp/19533-engrish_is_goood.html

Off topic: Engrish is goood!
Thread poster: Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 09:09
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
Mar 19, 2004

On our Nordic channel ( http://www.aknet.is/~lars/norskjaleng.html )we read a comforting story:

A vest bought in a Stockholm square had the poetic label in impeccable Engrish from the Chinese manufacturer:

ZHEN FA sweater see about good,
elaborate cropping, claintily technics.
golden swatches, individuation´s deviser,
the incarnatest, individual blue
... See more
On our Nordic channel ( http://www.aknet.is/~lars/norskjaleng.html )we read a comforting story:

A vest bought in a Stockholm square had the poetic label in impeccable Engrish from the Chinese manufacturer:

ZHEN FA sweater see about good,
elaborate cropping, claintily technics.
golden swatches, individuation´s deviser,
the incarnatest, individual blue-chip
timpermament ank unimal magnetism.
ZEHN FA have you more qulchritude
elegance.

We are still needed!

We were also given the link to a useful site for Engrish-fans:

http://www.engrish.com/

Mats
Collapse

Martin Schmurr
Martin Schmurr  Identity Verified
Italian to German
I can't prevent me from adding Mar 19, 2004

- once more - this link:

http://www.proz.com/home/20424/aut.html

awilliams
awilliams
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:09
Italian to English
+ ...
Thanks Mar 19, 2004

Thanks for the link, Mats - I've never laughed so much.

Have a good weekend,
Amy

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 03:09
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
excellent, Mats Mar 19, 2004

but shouldn't this figure under The Lighter Side of Translation ?
Nancy

Mats Wiman
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Thanks Nancy! Mar 19, 2004

Please see the new thread heading.

I do (in this case ) appreciate being corrected.

Have a nice weekend!

Maria Nicholas (X)
Maria Nicholas (X)  Identity Verified
Greek to English
+ ...
Offensive to me Mar 19, 2004

Am I the only one who finds the "Engrish.com" site incredibly offensive? In my view, the site goes way beyond translation blunders and becomes a platform for cultural stereotypes and assumptions through its awful detailing of all sorts of alleged cultural, social and linguistic "shortcomings" that supposedly prevent Japanese people from ever being able to speak English well.

It's one thing to laugh at translation gaffes, but quite another to ridicule an entire people for their supp
... See more
Am I the only one who finds the "Engrish.com" site incredibly offensive? In my view, the site goes way beyond translation blunders and becomes a platform for cultural stereotypes and assumptions through its awful detailing of all sorts of alleged cultural, social and linguistic "shortcomings" that supposedly prevent Japanese people from ever being able to speak English well.

It's one thing to laugh at translation gaffes, but quite another to ridicule an entire people for their supposed language "deficiencies".

This is one site I would rather have not visited.

[Edited at 2004-03-19 15:33]
Collapse

Mats Wiman
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
I did not find it offensive Mar 19, 2004

Dear Maria,

I am distressed by your comments, because THAT is certainly NOT what I like to promote on this forum.
I checked some folders after your comment but I did not find anything.
Could you please elaborate, here or privately.
If there are grounds to do it I would retract it.

BR

Mats J C Wiman
Übersetzer/Translator/Traducteur/Tra
... See more
Dear Maria,

I am distressed by your comments, because THAT is certainly NOT what I like to promote on this forum.
I checked some folders after your comment but I did not find anything.
Could you please elaborate, here or privately.
If there are grounds to do it I would retract it.

BR

Mats J C Wiman
Übersetzer/Translator/Traducteur/Traductor > swe
http://www.MatsWiman.com
http://www.Deutsch-Schwedisch.com
http://www.proz.com/pro/1749
(Proz.com moderator, deu>swe, Swedish)
Träsk 201
SE-872 97 Skog
Schweden/Sweden/Suède/Suecia
Tel:+46-612-54112 Fax:+46-612-54181 Mobile:+46-70-5769797
Collapse

Maria Nicholas (X)
Maria Nicholas (X)  Identity Verified
Greek to English
+ ...
Look at the FAQ/overall bad taste Mar 19, 2004

Hi Mats,

Thanks very much for your reply. I certainly was not offended by your post. I also like to read about examples of funny/warped translating. I just took issue with the "Engrish.com" site itself. Look at the FAQ in particular. Also, the fact that the author has to provide several disclaimers that he does not want to offend anyone, he loves Japan and Japanese people, blah, blah, blah ...

I don't know, I just think it crosses a line. Other people may not agree and
... See more
Hi Mats,

Thanks very much for your reply. I certainly was not offended by your post. I also like to read about examples of funny/warped translating. I just took issue with the "Engrish.com" site itself. Look at the FAQ in particular. Also, the fact that the author has to provide several disclaimers that he does not want to offend anyone, he loves Japan and Japanese people, blah, blah, blah ...

I don't know, I just think it crosses a line. Other people may not agree and that is fine. I just thought I'd express my opinion. In the end, I guess anyone should take such things with a grain of salt!

I don't see a need to retract a post. After all, we are all just commenting on a third party site. Some people may like it and others may not. No harm done.

Thanks again and enjoy your weekend.
Collapse

George Hopkins
George Hopkins
Swedish to English
Words are not always necessary, humour is! Mar 20, 2004

Maria Nicholas wrote:

Hi Mats,

I don't know, I just think it crosses a line. Other people may not agree and that is fine. I just thought I'd express my opinion. In the end, I guess anyone should take such things with a grain of salt!

I don't see a need to retract a post. After all, we are all just commenting on a third party site. Some people may like it and others may not. No harm done.

Thanks again and enjoy your weekend.

Also on the lighter side, and I'm old enough to remember the war in question:

Mrs Irene Graham of Thorpe Avenue, Boscombe, delighted the audience with her reminiscence of the German prisoner of war who was sent each week to do her garden. He was repatriated at the end of 1945, she recalled "He'd always seemed a nice friendly chap, but when the crocuses came up in the middle of our lawn in February 1946, they spelt out "Heil Hitler." (Bournemouth Evening Echo)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Engrish is goood!

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »