Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Off topic: True Story! (Translating the word "weathered" into other languages)
Thread poster: NancyLynn
Adil Sönmez (X)
Adil Sönmez (X)
Local time: 12:40
English to Turkish
+ ...
In Turkish Mar 29, 2004

"Hava etkisinde kalmýþ" or better "eskimiþ"

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:40
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Exact translations Mar 29, 2004

NancyLynn wrote:

So in French we\'re back to \"altéré par l\'action des agents atmosphériques\"...

And IMHO the only exact one-word translations for \'weathered\' so far are \'verwittert\' and \'verweerd\'. This is fascinating because the term stands for deterioration by all elements. The phenomenon takes place all around the world.

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
weathered is not the same as "eaten by the tooth of time" Mar 29, 2004

My admiration for the word "weathered" has not seized, thanks Nancy for bringing it here!

I still think that the stone in question at least "uleg³ wp³ywowi warunków atmosferycznych" or "zmieni³ siê na skutek pogody" so 4 or 5 rather long words, not sounding so beautiful and simple as ...weathered!!

The fact that quite a few proposed translation above refer to the time factor rather than the weather shows that it is not easy to find a right equivalent.

... See more
My admiration for the word "weathered" has not seized, thanks Nancy for bringing it here!

I still think that the stone in question at least "uleg³ wp³ywowi warunków atmosferycznych" or "zmieni³ siê na skutek pogody" so 4 or 5 rather long words, not sounding so beautiful and simple as ...weathered!!

The fact that quite a few proposed translation above refer to the time factor rather than the weather shows that it is not easy to find a right equivalent.

Magda
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Rapautunut Mar 30, 2004

There is one word for weathered in Finnish, originally it means 'destored by influence of weather' but can also be used for other phenomena in the sence of deterogation.
There is even a kind of mineral, which in ENGLISH is called 'rapakivi', geologists know what that is.
But rapautunut is not derived from the word for weather = sää.
Rapautunut has clearly a negative meaning, you would not use it for a building you admire, as with 'weathered', so in English you have to use mor
... See more
There is one word for weathered in Finnish, originally it means 'destored by influence of weather' but can also be used for other phenomena in the sence of deterogation.
There is even a kind of mineral, which in ENGLISH is called 'rapakivi', geologists know what that is.
But rapautunut is not derived from the word for weather = sää.
Rapautunut has clearly a negative meaning, you would not use it for a building you admire, as with 'weathered', so in English you have to use more words to express what you really mean, as usually.
'Sään patinoima' would be a two-word expression for weathered in the positive sence.

[Edited at 2004-03-30 01:44]
Collapse

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
How to do it in 7 words in Polish? Mar 30, 2004

I would go along Uldis line "nadgryziony zêbem czasu" - back translation is the same.

louisajay
louisajay
Spanish to English
+ ...
Interesting Mar 30, 2004

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Rapautunut has clearly a negative meaning, you would not use it for a building you admire, as with 'weathered', so in English you have to use more words to express what you really mean, as usually.
'Sään patinoima' would be a two-word expression for weathered in the positive sence.

[Edited at 2004-03-30 01:44]

Actually, Heinrich, "weathered" is not necessarily a derogatory or negative term in English. It can describe shabby beauty, which can be just as charming as the perfect kind of beauty.

Lorenzo Lilli
Lorenzo Lilli  Identity Verified
German to Italian
+ ...
maybe 4 Mar 30, 2004

Gianfranco Manca wrote:

In Italian we can say it with three words:
"consunto (or segnato, usurato, corroso, logorato, eroso) dalle intemperie"

I can't remember any single word corresponding to "weathered"

Or maybe "... dagli agenti atmosferici", as in French.

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
On the other hand- Mar 30, 2004

does English have expression equivalent to "gnawed by the tooth of time"?

The point I want to make is that each and every language has unique and beautiful words/expressions, not paralleled in any other language.

Uldis

Magda Dziadosz wrote:

Magda

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 05:40
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
TOPIC STARTER
erosion Mar 30, 2004

Uldis Liepkalns wrote:

does English have expression equivalent to "gnawed by the tooth of time"?

Uldis

Yes, Uldis, the adjective would be eroded - a word which applies certainly to rock, but I wouldn't use it to describe an old fisherman!:lol: but your fisherman, his face is weathered - worn by time, yes, but much more by weather.
Nancy:-)

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Its a question of precision Mar 30, 2004

louisajay wrote:

Actually, Heinrich, \"weathered\" is not necessarily a derogatory or negative term in English. It can describe shabby beauty, which can be just as charming as the perfect kind of beauty.

That\'s what I mean, English words are mostly rather unprecise, and e.g. Finnish is generally more precise, to the point.

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
But English is to the point Mar 30, 2004

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

That\'s what I mean, English words are mostly rather unprecise, and e.g. Finnish is generally more precise, to the point.

The only time in my live I thought English was unprecise was when I found out they don\'t have a distinct word for fish bone, like peoples that also eat fish without chips. Weather-battered, weather-beaten, weather-bitten, weather-eaten, weathered, weather-wasted and weatherworn are precise and to the point.

I do envie the Germans for their possibility to take any word that starts with ver..., like verwittert and aggravate it with zer...
In German, \'zerwittert\' would mean \'verwittert\' beyond recognition or beyond repair.

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
My experience is different Mar 31, 2004

Our example 'weathered' is unspecific about the speakers attitude and needs an adjective: magnificiently weathered or 'rather badly weathered'. So the advantage of a single word is lost. Same applies to 'verwittert'. I regularly translate German and English technical texts into Finnish and always wonder, how spongy the originals appear against the Finnish target.

Claudia Campbell
Claudia Campbell
Brazil
Local time: 06:40
Spanish to Portuguese
+ ...
Portuguese: 1 word Mar 31, 2004

you have posted

In Portuguese we say "descorado" what means that "have lost the original colour".

Coloured cheers for all of you
Lusobras

ladytraduk
ladytraduk
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
eroso Apr 4, 2004

"eroso" in italian means the result of the action of water, wind and time and it is used almost only as an adjective for the word stone or mountain... so i think it could translate the english term. in a conversation or in a book I'd use "eroso", in a poetic book I'd use "scolpita dalla natura"

Ciprian Dumea
Ciprian Dumea  Identity Verified
English to Romanian
+ ...
mancat de vreme Apr 5, 2004

In Romanian it's "mancat de vreme" or "ros de vreme", which means "eaten/gnawed by the weather" and can also mean "eaten/gnawed by the time" - a nice way to say everything in one package.

Hmmm... it seems time must have quite powerful teeth. Or at least strong gums.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

True Story! (Translating the word "weathered" into other languages)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »