Jean-Luc Dumont
Jean-Luc Dumont  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 20:59
English to French
+ ...
Apr 25, 2004

A nice "exercice de style":

I sense that a response is de rigueur and apropos, and that the members of fllf, en masse, will accord me, its enfant terrible, carte blanche to comment upon this fait accompli. I hope that my joie de vivre will provide me a raison d'être, and that a tour de force of savoir faire will spare me any grave faux pas. There is a certain je ne sais quoi in Walther's passage, but c'est la vie, and just a soupçon of a coup d'état will provide détente vis-à-v
... See more
A nice "exercice de style":

I sense that a response is de rigueur and apropos, and that the members of fllf, en masse, will accord me, its enfant terrible, carte blanche to comment upon this fait accompli. I hope that my joie de vivre will provide me a raison d'être, and that a tour de force of savoir faire will spare me any grave faux pas. There is a certain je ne sais quoi in Walther's passage, but c'est la vie, and just a soupçon of a coup d'état will provide détente vis-à-vis the bête noire of many éminences grises, one that can ruin an esprit de corps even among the crème de la crème. Such a cause célèbre can cause a sense of déjà vu, and all that is left is to deliver a coup de grâce to those ringing anglicismes

Joye Lore-Lawson (21-10-2000) 

http://www.langue-fr.net/d/langues/anglicismes-ringards.htm
Collapse

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 14:59
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Déjà vu Apr 25, 2004

It is never gauche to serve pâté with crudités and escargots and crème fraîche, mainly because the French are known for haute cuisine and nouvelle cuisine, which our local yokels refer to as kwee-zeen noo-voh.
N

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Garlicism

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »