Thread poster: Jean-Luc Dumont

Jean-Luc Dumont  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 08:52
English to French
+ ...
Apr 25, 2004

A nice "exercice de style":

I sense that a response is de rigueur and apropos, and that the members of fllf, en masse, will accord me, its enfant terrible, carte blanche to comment upon this fait accompli. I hope that my joie de vivre will provide me a raison d'être, and that a tour de force of savoir faire will spare me any grave faux pas. There is a certain je ne sais quoi in Walther's passage, but c'est la vie, and just a soupçon of a coup d'état will provide détente vis-à-vis the bête noire of many éminences grises, one that can ruin an esprit de corps even among the crème de la crème. Such a cause célèbre can cause a sense of déjà vu, and all that is left is to deliver a coup de grâce to those ringing anglicismes

Joye Lore-Lawson (21-10-2000) 

http://www.langue-fr.net/d/langues/anglicismes-ringards.htm

Direct link Reply with quote

NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 02:52
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Déjà vu Apr 25, 2004

It is never gauche to serve pâté with crudités and escargots and crème fraîche, mainly because the French are known for haute cuisine and nouvelle cuisine, which our local yokels refer to as kwee-zeen noo-voh.
N

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Garlicism

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs