Mobile menu

Off topic: The Imperial System of Weights and Measures (Fun)
Thread poster: tectranslate ITS GmbH

tectranslate ITS GmbH
Local time: 23:46
+ ...
Jul 27, 2004

Found this somewhere on the Internet and thought I'd share it with you after wiping the tears of laughter off my face. It's not 100% translation related, but here we go:

Originally posted by letter from Ernest L. Asten to the editors of NATURE, issue 346, p506 (1990)

"SIR-As the owner of a hardware store, I feel it is my duty to comment on the letter from C. H. Evans (Nature 345, p658 (1990)). The writer waxes sentimental about the British 'system' of weights and measures to which the United States alone so obdurately clings. Closer examination reveals that we don't have a system, we have a patchwork quilt of systems; systems whose units cannot be added, subtracted, multiplied or divided with ease, and hardly anyone knows how to use them. Learning a new system would come as a welcome relief to those who have actually learned the 'British system' and have to use it for complex operations.
The other day, a customer asked for a piece of lumber cut to "five feet two and half inches and one of those little marks" (a sixteenth). What could be more elegant? A carpenter more familiar with the system could translate that to a more manageable sixty-two and nine-sixteenths inches. Of course if he has to add the width of a "one-by-twelve" (¾"×11¼") and deduct the thickness of a "two by four" (1½"×3½"), he figures 62(9/16) + 11¼ - 1½ = 72(5/16). In building a house (or a space shuttle), thousands of these tedious computations are carried out and each one is a potential source of error.
We start to see that within the 'system', things are not what they say they are. Two-by-fours are not 2×4 and they haven't been for years. The two-by-fours in a hundred-year-old house are 2×4, but the two-by-fours in a fifty-year-old house are 1( 5/8 )×3( 5/8 ), and in a new house they are 1½×3½. Half-inch galvanized pipe isn't half an inch anywhere. The inside diameter is about 5/8" and the outside diameter is about 13/16". Plumbers know what size to ask for, but most others make the mistake of trying to measure the pipe and become hopelessly confused.
Electrical wire comes in gauges. As the wire gets bigger, the gauge number gets smaller. 12 ga. wire will conduct 4/3 as much current as 14 ga.; 10 ga. conducts 3/2 as much current as 12. Crystal clear! Nuts, bolts and wood screws also have gauges. Of course now as the bolt gets bigger, the gauge number gets bigger. What could be simpler than nails? Nails are measured in pennies. The symbol is 'd' as in 'penny'. A 4d nail is 1½" long, 6d is 2", 8d is 2½", 10d is 3". So, it should be perfectly obvious that a 3½" nail will be ... that's right, 16d.
Drill bits cover all bases. There are of course fractional bits in increments of 1/64" where it is immediately obvious that 25/64 is larger than 3/8 but smaller than 13/32. Among the interstices between fractions there are number drills, an inverse system with no. 1 a little smaller than 1/4" going "down" to no. 80 a little larger than a hair. Also interspersed between fractions are the letter drills irregularly spaced from A to Z with A a little larger than a no. 1 going up to Z smaller than 1/2".
Concrete comes by the cubic yard, lumber by the board foot, shingles by the square, yarn by the skein, but a sack of cement is always 94 pounds. The tape in your walkman travels at 1( 7/8 ) inches per second, which adds up to quite a few furlongs per fortnight. It's a Jim Dandy system all right, and any country that would give it up for something as straight forward as metric has no sense of humour."

edit: Archgk, where the heck did those ugly smilies come from?

[Edited at 2004-07-27 14:56]

[Edited at 2004-07-27 15:01]

[Edited at 2004-07-27 15:02]

Direct link Reply with quote

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:16
English to Tamil
+ ...
I read this in The Readers' Digest recently in the year 1966 Jul 27, 2004

The wife uses her husband as scale. Living room size is 6 Fritzes by 4 Fritzes, Fritz being the poor husband. In that way all her rooms are a function (mathrematical) of Fritz. Advantage of using Fritz is that you cannot misplace the scale. It comes home when hungry on its own accord. What Fritz thought of this arrangement was not revealed by the authoress, namely Fritz's wife. Perhaps it was something unprintable?

Lest you should wonder about my use of the adverb "recently" for the year 1966, I should say that I still vividly remember the events of 1950 onwards (when I was 4 years old), as if they happened yesterday. Isaac Asimov's first volume of his autobiography is "In memory yet green" and the second one is "In joy still felt". I fully understand what he meant by choosing these titles.

[Edited at 2004-07-28 00:51]

[Edited at 2004-07-28 14:48]

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The Imperial System of Weights and Measures (Fun)

Advanced search

Translators like you are producing higher quality translations faster with Lilt!

After years of research at Stanford University, Lilt has introduced a revolutionary new tool that will change the way you translate. Lilt learns how you translate to give you more personalized suggestions. Be more productive today! Use it FOR FREE!

More info »
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs