Off topic: Especially for Latvian translators (and possibly others) - competition is increasing :) :)
Thread poster: Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 17:51
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Aug 7, 2004

Dear colleagues, competition in our field of business increases daily:

http://www.3a-link.com.pl/latviesu/

Warning- please do not hold cups of coffee anywhere near the keyboard while viewing.

For other colleagues: the point is that in the Latvian version of the site (all pages) no Latvian word contains more than 3 spelling mistakes and none less than one, averag
... See more
Dear colleagues, competition in our field of business increases daily:

http://www.3a-link.com.pl/latviesu/

Warning- please do not hold cups of coffee anywhere near the keyboard while viewing.

For other colleagues: the point is that in the Latvian version of the site (all pages) no Latvian word contains more than 3 spelling mistakes and none less than one, average is two. Sentence construction is based on “Long time no see” principle. Russian version also is far from perfect. As the site can be viewed in some 12 more languages, it would be interesting to know quality of these…

Uldis, still enjoying
Collapse

Gilda Manara
Gilda Manara  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 16:51
German to Italian
+ ...
Italian translation Aug 7, 2004

the best I can say is a merciful "no comment" !!!!

Gilda

Uldis Liepkalns wrote:

As the site can be viewed in some 12 more languages, it would be interesting to know quality of these…

Uldis, still enjoying

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
There is an error 403 when you select a Polish version Aug 7, 2004

avsie (X)
avsie (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
French isn't *too* bad... Aug 7, 2004

French isn't *too* bad, but there are a few errors, or bad choice of words here and there. But it's of a much better quality than I expected, after reading your comments on Latvian and Italian

Natalya Zelikova
Natalya Zelikova  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Russian
+ ...
... Aug 7, 2004

Ukrainian version is also as "far from perfect" as Russian is.
They are very similar, it seems like the machine translation was used...

Els Hoefman
Els Hoefman  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
+ ...
Dutch is not so bad either... Aug 7, 2004

Although it is far from good.. I wonder how they had it translated.

pidzej
pidzej  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
Are you translator? Aug 7, 2004

This says it all!

Will Matter
Will Matter  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:51
English
+ ...
English version is not too bad... Aug 7, 2004

Except for overusing the word 'complex' the English version is not too bad. Wish there was a Japanese version, i'd like to see it :0)

Uldis Liepkalns
Latvia
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, Aug 7, 2004

but that is by default- all of us know some English...
(While Latvian translation you can always order to be done in India or Wherever (No offence to India or Wherever meant):)).

Which seems to be the case. One Latvian colleague sent me special thanks for warning about the coffee cup- says it saved him some expenses...

Uldis

willmatter wrote:

Except for overusing the word 'complex' the English version is not too bad. Wish there was a Japanese version, i'd like to see it :0)

Jørgen Madsen
Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
Not that bad for EUR 0.03 per word Aug 9, 2004

The Danish version is not that bad either. It contains some spelling errors, but the language seems stiff and dead, not very promoting. Wondering how and who...

Pernille Chapman
Pernille Chapman  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:51
Member (2004)
English to Danish
+ ...
Very odd... Aug 9, 2004

Reading your comments, I was quite looking forward to a good laugh when checking the Danish version. However, it's not really that bad, and definitely not a MT product. What puzzles me is that the style and vocabulary is actually rather good most of the time, yet there is a remarkable sprinkling of spelling mistakes (typos?) and split compounds. Would love to hear what other Danes think of this...

Could have held on to my coffee after all, but thanks for pointing us towards this one
... See more
Reading your comments, I was quite looking forward to a good laugh when checking the Danish version. However, it's not really that bad, and definitely not a MT product. What puzzles me is that the style and vocabulary is actually rather good most of the time, yet there is a remarkable sprinkling of spelling mistakes (typos?) and split compounds. Would love to hear what other Danes think of this...

Could have held on to my coffee after all, but thanks for pointing us towards this one.
Collapse

Uldis Liepkalns
Latvia
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In Latvian Aug 9, 2004

My back translation to English:

"Gaidâ ðeit uz Kundzçm un Kungiem turklât 3000 tulkotâjus, gatavus katrâ mirkïî izpildît Kundzîbas vçlçðânus saistîtus ar tulkojumiem"

"Waitin here on Ladies and Gentelman beside 3000 what translators ready at any monmetn to carry out Overlordshipings deesigrees connected with translations"

(I specially tried to convey also the spelling).
... See more
My back translation to English:

"Gaidâ ðeit uz Kundzçm un Kungiem turklât 3000 tulkotâjus, gatavus katrâ mirkïî izpildît Kundzîbas vçlçðânus saistîtus ar tulkojumiem"

"Waitin here on Ladies and Gentelman beside 3000 what translators ready at any monmetn to carry out Overlordshipings deesigrees connected with translations"

(I specially tried to convey also the spelling).

If your a Latvian, you cannot read this without convulsions...

Besides- the very second character on the page- Latvian has no letter "w".

Uldis

Pernille Chapman wrote:

Reading your comments, I was quite looking forward to a good laugh when checking the Danish version. However, it's not really that bad, and definitely not a MT product.

Could have held on to my coffee after all, but thanks for pointing us towards this one.

[Edited at 2004-08-09 11:10]
Collapse

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:51
German to English
+ ...
I agree, Uldi! Aug 10, 2004

The Latvian is terrible!

Lorenzo Lilli
Lorenzo Lilli  Identity Verified
German to Italian
+ ...
Come on... Aug 11, 2004

Gilda Manara wrote:

the best I can say is a merciful "no comment" !!!!

Gilda

... we can forgive them for writing "macedonico" and "portogese", can't we?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Especially for Latvian translators (and possibly others) - competition is increasing :) :)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »