Thread poster: Judy Rojas

Judy Rojas  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 03:36
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 6, 2004

Some famous quotes:

"Computers in the future will weigh no more than 1.5 tons." (Popular Mechanics, forecasting advance of science, 1949.)

"I think there's a world market for maybe five computers." (Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943.)

"I have travelled the length and breadth of this country and talked with the best people, and I can assure you that data processing is a fad that won't last out the year." (Editor in charge of business books for Prentice Hall, 1957.)

"But what is it good for?" (Engineer at the Advanced Computing Systems Division of IBM, commenting on the micro chip, 1968)

"There is no reason why anyone would want to have a computer in their home." (Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment Corp, 1977.)

"This 'telephone' has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered as a means of communication. The device is inherently of no value to us." (Western Union memo, 1876.)

"The wireless music box has no imaginable commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?" (David Sarnoff's associates in response to his urgings for investment in the radio in the 1920's.)

"Who the hell wants to hear actors talk?" (HM Warner, Warner Bros, 1927.)

"A cookie store is a bad idea. Besides, the market research reports say that America likes crispy cookies, not soft and chewy cookies like you make." (Response to Debbi Fields' idea of starting the Mrs Fields Cookies business.)

"We don't like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out." (Decca Recording Company rejecting the Beatles, 1962.)

"Heavierthanair flying machines are impossible." (Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.)

"If I had thought about it, I wouldn't have done the experiment. The literature was full of examples that said you can't do this." (Spencer Silver on the work that led to the unique adhesives for 3M
PostIt Notepads.)

"So we went to Atari and said, `We've got this amazing thing, even built with some of your parts and what do you think about funding us? Or we'll give it to you. We just want to do it. Pay our salary, we'll come work for you.' They said `No'. Then we went to HewlettPackard; they said, `We don't need you. You haven't got through college yet'." (Apple Computer founder Steve Jobs on attempts to get Atari and HP interested in his and Steve Wozniak's personal computer.)

"Drill for oil? You mean drill into the ground to try and find oil? You're crazy." (Drillers whom Edwin L Drake tried to enlist to his project to drill for oil, 1859.)

"Stocks have reached what looks like a permanently high plateau." (Irving Fisher, Economics professor, Yale University, 1929.)

"Airplanes are interesting toys but of no military value". (Marechal Ferdinand Foch, Professor of Strategy, Ecole Superieure de Guerre.)

"Everything that can be invented has been invented." (Charles H Duell, Commissioner, US Office of Patents, 1899.)

"Louis Pasteur's theory of germs is ridiculous fiction." (Pierre Pachet, Professor of Physiology at Toulouse, 1872.)

"The abdomen, the chest, and the brain will forever be shut from the intrusion of the wise and humane surgeon." (Sir John Eric Ericksen, British surgeon, appointed SurgeonExtraordinary to Queen Victoria, 1873.)

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." (Bill Gates of Microsoft, 1981.)

"Fred Astaire Can't act, can't sing, balding... Can dance a little." (MGM telent scout, 1928.)

"What can you do with a guy with ears like that?" (Jack Warner, movie mogul, rejecting Clark Gable, 1930.)

"You ain't goin' nowhere son. You ought to go back to drivin' a truck." (Jim Denny of the Grand Ole Opry, Nashville, firing Elvis Presley after his first performance.)

"I'm sorry Mr Kipling, but you don't know how to use the English language." (Editor of the San Francisco Examiner, rejecting a short story from author and poet Rudyard Kipling.)

Direct link Reply with quote

Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:36
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
Thank you for this thread Oct 6, 2004

It is always interesting to me how difficult is for the human race to accept new things...

Monika

NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 01:36
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
No new ideas Oct 6, 2004

'Everything that can be invented has been invented." (Charles H Duell, Commissioner, US Office of Patents, 1899.)

Yep, this kind of thinking is for the birds! when they finally get the time-machine thing going, I say we go get this Mr. Duell and show him what-all has taken place in the time since he made that remarkable statement...

Nancy

xxxsarahl
Local time: 22:36
English to French
+ ...
hindsight is always 20/20 Oct 6, 2004

Of course, we can laugh at all these people now, but I'll bet our great-grand-children will also laugh at us in a couple centuries!

Andy Watkinson
Spain
Local time: 07:36
Catalan to English
+ ...
Not a real quote Oct 6, 2004

NancyLynn wrote:

'Everything that can be invented has been invented." (Charles H Duell, Commissioner, US Office of Patents, 1899.)

Yep, this kind of thinking is for the birds! when they finally get the time-machine thing going, I say we go get this Mr. Duell and show him what-all has taken place in the time since he made that remarkable statement...

Nancy

Actually, these were not his exact words. I read an article in "The Economist" about a year ago (technology quarterly issue), where they pointed out what he actually said and which, naturally, I'm unable to remember, except for the fact that it has come to be something of an "urban legend"

"Everything that can be invented has been invented." -- Attributed to Charles H. Duell, Commissioner, U.S. Office of Patents, 1899, but known to be an urban legend.
http://rinkworks.com/said/predictions.shtml

Cheers,
Andy

asil
English to Spanish
+ ...
I fully agree Oct 6, 2004

with Sarah, in 200 years most of our ideas, comments and suggestions will make people crack apart.

Judy Rojas  Identity Verified
Chile
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What about in 50 years? Oct 6, 2004

asil wrote:

with Sarah, in 200 years most of our ideas, comments and suggestions will make people crack apart.

Your posting made me think about what Proz members will say about our postings 50 years from now

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
Brave New World? Oct 6, 2004

asil wrote:
...in 200 years most of our ideas, comments and suggestions will make people crack apart.

I don't think so. They will rather envy us for all the things we could still do for ourselves and for which they will need to call an expert, because everything and everyone will be so specialized..

Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:36
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
predictions Oct 6, 2004

So I guess in the years ahead they will all be laughing at those "doomsday" predictions of global warming and oil depletion.

"It is true that people have been predicting the end of oil since the 19th century. It's the story of the little boy who cried wolf. But what they forget is that, at the end of that story, the wolf shows up."

Michele

lien
Netherlands
Local time: 07:36
English to French
+ ...
chip Oct 7, 2004

"I think there's a world market for maybe five computers." (Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943.)

I knew this one, it was when processing data took one huge room only for the processor.

That's why I have home on my desk a 486 chip which fit in the palm of my hand, all golden and beautiful. And I compare.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Say, what?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs