https://www.proz.com/forum/lighter_side_of_trans_interp/25689-yummy_pasta_dish.html

Off topic: Yummy pasta dish
Thread poster: Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 08:59
Italian to English
Oct 15, 2004

A couple of years ago, the pizzeria where I was eating was offering "farfalle al tonno" (butterfly-shaped pasta with tuna), translated as "tunny with moth". Needless to say I went for the pizza (tuna-free). On pointing it out to the owner, he just shrugged...

DGK T-I
DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:59
Georgian to English
+ ...
On that basis, perhaps... Oct 15, 2004

pasta moth-style is pasta that emerges after nightfall, and pasta butterfly-style is pasta that emerges in daytime...

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
Hungry anyone? Oct 15, 2004

There used to be a small bar down the Ramblas in Barcelona which every day would stick a blackboard out on the street advertising its special "tapa del día", which was almost always:

"GUTS"

They meant "tripe" but obviously had never heard of translators, only dictionaries.

I've always wondered if any tourist ever mustered the courage to say "Plate of guts please and a glass of wine".

Andy

alz
alz  Identity Verified
Croatia
English to Croatian
+ ...
talking about pasta Oct 15, 2004

What about "Angry feathers" I had once in a small inn?
In fact it was "Penne all'arrabiata".

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Spaghetti on the rocks Oct 15, 2004

These are fantastic! "Angry feathers" is great! I think spaghetti "on the rocks" is cute (spaghetti allo scoglio) - who knows how many dodgy translations for "formaggio di fossa" there are out there, "formaggio" being cheese and "fossa" a pit or a grave...

Edwal Rospigliosi
Edwal Rospigliosi  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Choro soup Oct 15, 2004

These things happen not only with translations.

In the Peruvian coast, "choro" is a kind of shellfish. In the Peruvian jungle, "choro" is a small monkey. I live in the coast.

So last year I was on vacation in the jungle, and at a restaurant, I asked for a choro soup. When it arrived, instead of the shellfish, there was a monkey skull smiling to me from the dish. Of course, I had to eat it, to avoid embarrassing my guests. Well, at least this monkey was a vegetarian...

Catherine Bolton
Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
more Italian bloobers Oct 16, 2004

A friend sent me a photograph of a menu (thought it was funny enough for a picture!) and, sure enough....
"Birra alla spina" (spina means "on tap") became "beer at the thorn" and "polipi alla brace" was "polips the fire".
There are also several funny websites, one of which describes "pasta con le sarde" as "pasta with the Sardinians".
I've also seen "pane grattato" as "scratched bread". Must take a lot of scratching to make those breadcrumbs!
Catherine

Miomira Brankovic
Miomira Brankovic  Identity Verified
Serbia
English to Serbian
+ ...
Speaking of restaurants… Oct 16, 2004

After tasting all these delicacies, it's time to pay a visit to a seaside restaurant in Kusadasi, Turkey, which advertizes "25% reduced meals".

Valentina Pecchiar
Valentina Pecchiar  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Take a rest... Oct 16, 2004

Miomira Brankovic wrote:
After tasting all these delicacies...

...it's time to take a rest. Too bad the vending machine pictured in my avatar (see right) only gives "change", not time for a siesta Even worse if it provided Rest as in RIP...

In Italy when you're handed a few coins back after paying with a note you are given a "resto", just like the "rest" of us...

[PS I meant to upload an enlarged version of the picture but I can't find the instructions, could anybody point me in the right direction please? Thanks a million]

Ioana Costache
Ioana Costache  Identity Verified
Romania
Member (2007)
English to Romanian
+ ...
ask the server Oct 17, 2004

Moving on from stuff to staff, here's what the menu read back home in a Bucharest restaurant: "If there is anything else that you'd like, as the server" - meaning the waiter. Which made me ask myself if I was in the right place after al... Of course, in Romanian the waiter "serves" you, he doesn't wait on you - so there you go: server! Morphologically accurate

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Yummy pasta dish

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »