Pavle Perencevic
Pavle Perencevic  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:51
Member (2002)
Serbian to English
+ ...
Violence drinks and other delicacies... Aug 27, 2005

Violence drinks)) I'm sure their ingestion makes some people quite violent, but this is actually a poor translation of "zestoka pica" (liquor or spirits): literally - "fierce beverages" in Serbian.

Eurocream is in fact Eurokrem (another brand name), a kind of sweet spread made from cocoa, sugar and hazelnut. I think it is made under license from an Italian company. Children love it.

juhamatti wrote:

I was visiting Serbia with a friend of mine some weeks ago.
In Novi Sad we found a nice restaurant with good food and a somewhat perplexing menu.

We were suggested e.g. "violence drinks" (spirits), "'nature' steak", "overdone pancakes" and "basic crepes stuffed with eurocream and plazma".

"Plazma" turned out to be a biscuit brand alright but "eurocream" remains a mystery.

Juhamatti

Connor
Connor  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:51
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Gésiers confits...always a tricky one Aug 30, 2005

Gésiers confits...always a tricky one but I like the version I didn't order this weekend in Florac (Lozère) where the menu proudly announced ........Stewed Geezers.

I'm going to dig out the other menus we have archived when I can find time to plug the old computer back in.

Great contributions though.

Lisbeth Mejer
Lisbeth Mejer  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Danish
+ ...
Ever had "lamp chops" Sep 6, 2005

I have seen them advertised ever so often in Greeke restaurants.

Maga1i (X)
Maga1i (X)
German to French
+ ...
Another one! Sep 6, 2005

I found "couteau de poche" (pocket knife) on an menu in Spain. They just picked the wrong line in the dictionary: "navaja" is both a small knife and a kind of seafood... Mind your throat!

diana bb
diana bb  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 21:51
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
What about... Sep 6, 2005

...'Coffee with scum' in one of the restaurants in Vilnius, Lithuania?

Diana

Connor
Connor  Identity Verified
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Dandruff wine Sep 29, 2005

Maceration pelliculaire at the Cooperative winery in Corconne (Pic St. Loup but in the Gard - just) is translated as 'macerated with dandruff'.
The cellar master is quite hairy too!!!

I must say though that their wines are fabulous - especially for hair of the dog.

Veronika Hansova
Veronika Hansova  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2006)
English to Czech
+ ...
Would you like "calamity"? Sep 29, 2005

In an Egyptian restaurant in Luxor I ordered "calamity" - seriously. Well, guess what - calamari:-)

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation à la carte

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »