Off topic: There's franglais, there's Denglish and now...
Thread poster: Daniel Bird

Daniel Bird  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:51
German to English
Sep 29, 2005

...Parlez-vous Ronglish?

(from Guardian Online Thursday September 29, 2005)

Atkinson: cast out into the TV wilderness after racist comments

Ron Atkinson will make his small-screen comeback in a Faking It-style show in which he will try to pass himself off as a French football pundit.
Atkinson will take part along with Esther Rantzen and the comedian Marcus Brigstocke in the BBC2 series, Parlez Vous. The trio will spend a month in rural France and will only be allowed to communicate in French.

The show marks a comeback of sorts for Atkinson, who was cast into the broadcasting wilderness last year after he called Chelsea footballer Marcel Desailly a "f**ing lazy thick ni**er" during coverage of a Champions League game on ITV.

His only TV appearance since then was on a BBC1 documentary with Adrian Chiles in which he talked about the incident and travelled to America's deep south. He was also hired as a phone-in host for Yorkshire-based Real Radio.

"It's called the immersion technique. We will be thrown in the deep end," said Atkinson. "I was very impressed with the people who are making it. As soon as I met them I thought I fancy working with these people. Who knows what will happen?"

The three celebrities were chosen for their varying levels of proficiency at French - Rantzen studied it at intermediate level, Marcus Brigstocke at school, while Atkinson - famous while he was a commentator for his idiosyncratic English, dubbed "Ronglish" - cannot speak the language at all.

"The three participants will be out in the real world - interacting with French people in various situations and performing tasks to measure their progress," said RDF. "Finally at the end of the month they will have to conduct their 'day job' in French."

The independent producer said the aim of the series, funded by BBC Learning, was to show how learning a language could be "exciting, frustrating and ultimately life-changing". The four-part series will air on BBC2 next year.

[Edited at 2005-09-29 13:02]

Direct link Reply with quote

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 14:51
Italian to English
Big Ron in French? Sep 29, 2005

As the man himself would say... "ce sont les portes de bonne heure".

Cheers,

Giles

Daniel Bird  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:51
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Spotter's badge... Sep 29, 2005

Giles Watson wrote:

As the man himself would say... "ce sont les portes de bonne heure".

Cheers,

Giles

Can you render this one? Or should I post it on KudoZ?
example: a player, say Wayne Rooney, hits an inch-perfect pass to a teammate, Ron exclaims "spotter's badge for the lad Rooney"

Any language you like...
DB

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 14:51
Italian to English
Big Ron's French connection Sep 30, 2005

Hi again Daniel.

I suppose a spotter's badge would be an "insigne du mérite pour la détection", which is fair enough, but what are French football fans going to make of "les petits sourcils au deuxième poteau"?

Cheers,

Giles

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

There's franglais, there's Denglish and now...

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums