https://www.proz.com/forum/lighter_side_of_trans_interp/38227-for_wine_translators_and_wine_lovers.html

Off topic: For wine translators (and wine lovers)
Thread poster: Sara Freitas
Sara Freitas
Sara Freitas
France
Local time: 11:15
French to English
Oct 24, 2005

The 2005 "Wine Snob's Dictionary" is out in the November issue of Vanity Fair magazine.

Here are a couple of entries (caps denote cross references to other entries):

Fruit Bomb. Modern-style purplish-red wine valued for its big, jammy flavor above all other considerations, such as structure and long-term aging potential. The blame/credit for fruit bombs, which Snobs regard as crass, slutty, "drink now" wines that don't warrant serious consideration, is usually attribute
... See more
The 2005 "Wine Snob's Dictionary" is out in the November issue of Vanity Fair magazine.

Here are a couple of entries (caps denote cross references to other entries):

Fruit Bomb. Modern-style purplish-red wine valued for its big, jammy flavor above all other considerations, such as structure and long-term aging potential. The blame/credit for fruit bombs, which Snobs regard as crass, slutty, "drink now" wines that don't warrant serious consideration, is usually attributed to Australia, whose wine-makers discovered a ready market in the 1990s for young Syrahs (or Shiraz wines, in Aussie parlance) that taste like grape-infused butane.

Terroir. Unimpeachable cornerstone of the classicist Snob's vocabulary, denoting the "total natural environment" of the grapevine--the climate in which it's grown, the chemical and mineral composition of the soil from which it sprouted, the animals that poop near it, etc. Only the most wizened and Francophilic of Snobs can carry off the phrase 'goût de terroir' (taste of terroir), usually while praising a cellared, old-growth French wine at the expense of some drink-now FRUIT BOMB bottled by a GARAGISTE.

Nose. Snob term for aroma, having supplanted the term "bouquet," now used solely by old ladies and Englishmen. Though even fledgling Snobs deploy the term with ease as a noun--e.g., 'This has an expressive nose, with hints of road tar and chamomile'--the truly hard-core use the word as a verb: 'Shhh! Keep it down while I nose this juice.'

You'll have to go to your newsstand for the rest as VF doesn't put its content on the Web.

It's definitely worth the cover price for this article alone.

Enjoy!

Sara
Collapse

Catherine Bolton
Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Thanks! Oct 24, 2005

Thanks for the posting. I'll definitely have to get a copy of that!
Catherine

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:15
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Something special for the older wine-lover Oct 24, 2005

Sara Freitas
Sara Freitas
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Jack, that is a riot. Oct 25, 2005

I don't know if Pinot Mort qualifies for the Wine Snob's Dictionary, but it certainly cracked me up.

I can't wait to use the part about "animal poop" the next time I have to translate 'terroir'.

LOL.

Sara

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 05:15
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
My thought exactly Oct 25, 2005

Sara Freitas-Maltaverne wrote:
I can't wait to use the part about "animal poop" the next time I have to translate 'terroir'.
Sara

N.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

For wine translators (and wine lovers)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »