Mobile menu

Off topic: 007 ... licensed to kill ... microbes?
Thread poster: Angela Arnone

Angela Arnone  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:58
Member (2004)
Italian to English
+ ...
Jan 31, 2006

I have to share this one with you, folkZ.

I'm doing a translation for a chair company and they're trying to be swanky and do a chair timeline ... you know:
"1900 - as Charles Rennie Mackintosh designs the whatever chair, the Russian Revolution gets off to a flying start"

Except that in the 1920s, we have van der Rohe, Bauhaus and ***IAN Fleming*** discovering penicillin.... and would that be the plot for "You only live twice" (subtitle "If you take the antibiotics")????

Oh well, let's see what happens in the 1930s ....

[Edited at 2006-01-31 20:02]

Direct link Reply with quote
xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Ha ha! Jan 31, 2006

Very funny Angela:-)

I came across something similar recently, in a PUBLISHED book no less, about Pedro Almodovar, in Spanish.

Anyway, this author, expert on film, or at least, expert on Almodovar, and therefore with pretensions to cultural knowledge, confused Bloomsday with Bloomsbury.

When he was obviously referring to Virginia Woolf and the bluestockings, on 2 occasions he referred to the Bloomsday group...

Bloomsday is, in fact, June the 16th, James Joyce day in Ireland:-)

Alfredo Tutino  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
The plot thickens! Jan 31, 2006

And we should not forget that "Ian" Fleming he shared the credit (and the Nobel Prize) with a BORIS Ernst Chain - of Russian parentage...

"From Russia with(out) bugs"

And, eventually, a lot of GOLD came to all those who had a FINGER in the pie...

(And we shouldn't forget Graham Greene's "Third Man"...)

I'm sure there must be something fishy about these moulds, you know...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

007 ... licensed to kill ... microbes?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs