Off topic: Don't food companies proofread labels anymore?
Thread poster: PB Trans
PB Trans

Local time: 01:54
French to English
+ ...
Feb 1, 2006

'Dog sh*t' ham

A Wakefield man lost his appetite when he found "dog sh*t" listed among the ingredients on a packet of ham.

Mick Woods, 34, examined another of the 300g containers and saw the same 'additive' listed on the label.

And he admitted: "Obviously I haven't eaten it. It sort of puts you off."

His partner Tracey, 28, bought the 99p packs of cooked, sliced ham from a store near their home.

The dad-of-three added: "We spent 40 minutes laughing. But we haven't put any in the kids' sandwiches and we had something else for our tea."

Manufacturer H R Hargreaves & Son said it axed an employee over the labeling prank and was trying to recall the ham.

A spokesman for the Manchester firm said: "We can't have people fooling about with food products. A number of packs are affected. We're trying to find out what shops they're in."

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1704736.html?menu=

I'm HOPING it was just a labelling prank and there really wasn't any dog poo in the ham!

Direct link Reply with quote

Kurt Porter  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:54
Russian to English
+ ...
Cute Feb 2, 2006

Pina Nunes wrote:

'Dog sh*t' ham

A Wakefield man lost his appetite when he found "dog sh*t" listed among the ingredients on a packet of ham.

Mick Woods, 34, examined another of the 300g containers and saw the same 'additive' listed on the label.

And he admitted: "Obviously I haven't eaten it. It sort of puts you off."

His partner Tracey, 28, bought the 99p packs of cooked, sliced ham from a store near their home.

The dad-of-three added: "We spent 40 minutes laughing. But we haven't put any in the kids' sandwiches and we had something else for our tea."

Manufacturer H R Hargreaves & Son said it axed an employee over the labeling prank and was trying to recall the ham.

A spokesman for the Manchester firm said: "We can't have people fooling about with food products. A number of packs are affected. We're trying to find out what shops they're in."

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1704736.html?menu=

Sounds like an unhappy worker....:)
I'm HOPING it was just a labelling prank and there really wasn't any dog poo in the ham!

Ken Cox  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:54
German to English
+ ...
alas for the days of lead type Feb 2, 2006

The downside of DTP is that just about anyone with access to a file can edit it, and proofreading is usually left up to someone else or assumed to be done by the author.

The level of typos and other errors in your average newspaper (even the quality titles) has increased significantly in recent years.

I'd put my money on a disgruntled employee, as Kurt suggested, but he may have known a thing or two about what actually went into the product...

Geoffrey Barrow
Local time: 20:54
Norwegian to English
Other examples Feb 2, 2006

Though perhaps trivial in comparison, these examples, both found on products purchased in Canada, indicate perhaps how little actual proof reading goes on:

From the instructions on a bottle of 3M paint stripper:

"3. Brush on a thick coat of stripper (minimum 1/8" or 2.5 cm)..."

- Interesting that you need to use about eight times as much if you work in metric units!!!

From the cover on a Memorex VHS cassette:

"QUALITÉ SUPÉRIREURE"

)

NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 20:54
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Are quick`n`dirty jobs to blame? Feb 2, 2006

When I saw the safety seal on a cake (mmm, a choclate-pecan caramel coffe cake baked in-store) that was translated into Joint de sécurité, it occurred to me that maybe this was the result of a translator getting an e-mail from an agency saying "Can you just translate these three words for us, pro bono -- the context doesn't matter?"

And for 3M - was that text translated with Tag Editor, that does screwy things to my numbers, as I discovered when I translated a cookbook a while back?

Can't comment on the feces-flavoured ham, though.

Nancy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Don't food companies proofread labels anymore?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs