https://www.proz.com/forum/lighter_side_of_trans_interp/43221-blue_board_country_distribution%3A_some_basic_stats.html

Blue Board country distribution: some basic stats
Thread poster: Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 17:51
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Mar 1, 2006

Taking a quarter of an hour break between two jobs, I quickly did some number crunching on the country distribution of entries found in the Blue Board database.

Currently the database has 7040 entries, so I arbitrarily set the cut-off mark at 35 entries per county, i.e. any country with at least half percent of all BB entries is listed below:

United States: 1306 entries: 18.6%
Germany: 755 entries: 10.7 %
United Kingdom: 650 entries: 9.2%
France: 459 e
... See more
Taking a quarter of an hour break between two jobs, I quickly did some number crunching on the country distribution of entries found in the Blue Board database.

Currently the database has 7040 entries, so I arbitrarily set the cut-off mark at 35 entries per county, i.e. any country with at least half percent of all BB entries is listed below:

United States: 1306 entries: 18.6%
Germany: 755 entries: 10.7 %
United Kingdom: 650 entries: 9.2%
France: 459 entries: 6.5%
Spain: 455 entries: 6.5%
Italy: 412 entries: 5.9%
Canada: 255 entries: 3.6%
Netherlands: 194 entries: 2.8%
Belgium: 191 entries: 2.7%

countries between 71 and 141 entries (1% and 2%) (in descending order):

Poland, Argentina, India, China, Austria, Sweden, Switzerland, Japan, Russia, Turkey, Brazil

countries between 35 and 70 entries (0.5% and 1%) (in descending order):

Hungary, Portugal, Czech Rep., Israel, Denmark, Australia, Romania, Egypt, Mexico, Ireland, Singapore, Greece

OK now, back to work...
Csaba
Collapse

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Blue Board country distribution: some basic stats Mar 1, 2006

Country rankings by positive/negative entries would be interesting...

Marc

Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I do not have access to such data Mar 1, 2006

I only used publicly accessible data.
Yes, it would be interesting to have a country-specific average, but I don't think that would be really useful to decide if you want to work with a particular outsourcer.
Csaba

Lucinda Hollenberg
Lucinda Hollenberg  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:51
Dutch to English
+ ...
Negative/Positive ranking Mar 1, 2006

Dear CSaba,

I read your topic with interest. Glad that you took the time to calculate this.

Also, Marc is right. It would be most interesting and, I think, also useful to see the spread per country for positive and negative rankings.

Chao,
Lucinda

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Blue Board country distribution: some basic stats

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »