Adecco seeks Bilingual Professionals in New York City
Thread poster: HarryHedgehog

HarryHedgehog
Germany
Local time: 09:42
German to English
Jul 21, 2006

Too bad their monolingual skills seem to be lacking:
http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/jobseeker/jobsearch/job_detail.html;_ylt=Ao5CHdJA4XClb.LSQScb7eb6Q6IX?job_id=JPBSSB98F

If you find the ENORMOUS mistake in their want ad, you may just qualify for a temporary, low-paying job in the translation trade!

Bonus redundancy points if you can find the redundant part redundant of the ad redundant!

And if you can spot which word means something entirely different when it is accented then when it is not, the job is yours for sure! Don't delay, apply today!

HH

P.S. You must have a full stop to spare, as they seem to have been short one

Direct link Reply with quote

JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 04:42
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Found, discovered, encountered, and met up with them. Jul 22, 2006

Oh, Harry...you've just illustrated a recurring fear of mine: that I will condemn someone else's writing and commit an error myself. If you find your typo and correct it, I'll edit out this paragraph!

What's your beef? That ad was beautifully written compared to most of the stuff I get to translate!

Jane

Andres & Leticia Enjuto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 05:42
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
If the agency is being paid for the service... Jul 22, 2006

then I think they should write a near-perfect ad, which is not this case (my opinion).

I agree with Harry.

Andres

JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 04:42
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
So do I, of course. Jul 22, 2006

Lettytb wrote:

I agree with Harry.

Andres

My "what's your beef" comment was intended as irony. Of course, the ad is very poorly written and would not attract me if I were looking to buy or sell translation services through this agency.

On the other hand, as I said, I've been asked to translate texts that were far worse. At least the meaning is clear in this ad.

Thanks, Harry, for bringing it to our attention--I needed a laugh!

Jane

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Adecco seeks Bilingual Professionals in New York City

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs